1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another car thread. Wanting a sports car. Which one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, May 26, 2022.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

same here. more revs, more power here too. all depends on the type of turbo. You want no lag, small snail, want a little lag, but more mid to top, medium snail, etc. and depends on the # of cylinders, etc. Turbo sizing is a great way to figure out what you want out of the power band.

2. Not at 3500-4000rpm it doesn’t.

Watch the onboard lap where Lars Kern set the Nurburgring lap record, he stays between 4000-7000rpm pretty much the whole time.

I’m not saying it doesn’t fall on its face at some point, but that point isn’t at 4000rpm.

But it starts pulling hard well below that. That’s why I made the comment about legally exploiting it. It has plenty of low end torque and pulls good from about 2250-2500rpm, but above that it is a real kick in the ass.

BigBird likes this.
  3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

He is more describing turbo diesels tuned for efficiency or smaller gas motors tuned for torque and fuel economy.

Also, not all twin turbos have a small and a large turbo. Some have two small turbos, one for each bank of cylinders.

4. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

BigBird likes this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

even BAT resale being effected these days

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yea, I thought about bidding on it, because I thought that was a pretty good price too. Then I thought, I don’t really need this with what could be happening in the economy, so I guess I will keep on driving my beaters.

When looking back it seems the blue ones sell for more than this color?

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

When they were new, and I was looking for a weekend type-ish car, I went looking into buying one. The seat was uncomfortable and the inside looked like a rental car. I was like no thank you. I know the early ones had head gasket issues, and seen a few with blown motors, so they were not in my fave category.

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The one car we own with a turbo is great around town and to about 4500 RPMs. After that you get nothing if you don't have another gear available.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Lucky you. My turbo vehicle stops pulling at 3000RPM.

10. Boman Forklift

That's cause it is purple!!!

Gorilla George and pickled egg like this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So back to real sports cars....saw a 67 Morgan on facetubes last week. Had me wondering if I'd fit in it to drive it :D

12. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

another one popped up:
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2016-ford-focus-rs-35/

Boman Forklift and BigBird like this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

co-worker had one for a while, had several engine issues, traded it for the Fiesta ST and hasn't been happier since. just recently reluctantly got rid of the fiesta for the GR86.

BigBird likes this.
  15. Boman Forklift

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

That fiesta ST punched above its weight for sure. The new GR86 is wicked fast on track for a low powered but light weight car.

17. What is the deal with “bringatrailer”?

Is that individuals selling cars like an eBay only for vehicles? Or is it an auction like that one that has a dude’s name?

BigBird likes this.
  18. Boman Forklift

Both

Mostly individuals in an eBay like auction. But the buyer pays a fee of 5% up to $5000 to buy the car, like an auction house only much cheaper.

Seller pays like $99.

At the end you can’t get sniped, because whenever there is a bid the clock resets to 2 minutes left, allowing other interested parties a moment to decide if they want to bid.

The thing I like is there are lots of experts that know the car better than I do, pointing out potential issues and you can learn a lot.

BigBird and Gorilla George like this.
  19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You can also drastically overpay for a lot of stuff.

Boman Forklift and BigBird like this.
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's true for any auction.

BigBird likes this.