1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA/MOTOAMERICA Entry Level Class, KTM Cup

Discussion in 'General' started by SCHMITTY91, Nov 13, 2014.

1. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I'm not a doubter or naysayer. You're just crazy. :D As long as you don't go full-bore little league dad, I wish you nothing but the best of luck. :up:

2. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

If you meet me at the track you'll find I'm the exact opposite and thanks, we are going to need it.:D

3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

:stupid:
    He's already run us out of the series with his planned budget. We're on our way back to the flattrack series with our tails between our legs.:D

4. TrackStar

C'mon man. If I lived in the East where I was close to those tracks (and home/friends) my budget would be half. I'm looking at 2 and 3 day drives 1 way, living in my van with a 14 year old who's feet smell like dead animals and being a long ways from my shop. I have to over do things a little just in case. We have to be 100% self contained because we dont know anyone out there and have nobody to fall back on if shit goes sideways. I'll probably have to spend more on gas than the East Coasters will for their whole season.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  5. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

The house next door to us is coming available. Move here... then you can open shop in one of the most motorcycle rich and friendly areas in the US. It'll put you within an ~5.5 hr drive from all but two the MotoAmerica tracks and WERA SE region tracks.

6. TrackStar

I would love to but too many things keep me here. All of my family, wife has 17 years at her gig, I love the mountains and the seasons here. Well that and you guys talk funny.

7. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

We've got mountains and seasons. And some of us aren't from here originally, so we sound normal.

8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

No.

9. ton

ton Arf!

those aren't mountains.

(i actually quite like Knoxville... if i had to live in the SE, it'd top my list)

10. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Easy fellas.... I sound normal.....

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

:crackhead:

12. TrackStar

You have bumps.

This is what it looks like out my front door. I can go from 4000 feet to 10,000 feet in about a 30 minute ride from my house up some amazing canyon roads. It really tough to give up the view, the environment and the low cost of living here.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I'm still not sure I agree with your reasoning, although as I think about it more, my initial post was off-base. MotoAmerica does not employ the riders who compete, therefore it's not an employment discrimination issue. That neutralizes some of the stronger arguments I would have relied upon.

The argument that would likely carry the day is more along the lines of "we're not saying riders 22+ can't race in our series, just not in that class." There's no age limit in the Supersport or Superbike classes, correct?

I have more thoughts on the issue, but those are just me nerding out on law hypotheticals...

I hope the class does well. I know of at least one rider making his professional debut in the KTM 390 class, while his brother campaigns a 600.

14. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

All kinds of sports have age restrictions. NBA, NFL etc. Nothing new there.

15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Normal? Far from it. lol.

16. Aw shut up you two. I move west and the series goes east. I will help drive your van, put up with the stinky feet but I fart. I can't hear worth a damn so I won't talk much. I can drive for 13 hours easy.

17. Looks kinda normal too except when he's burning a hole in my forehead with that WTF stare. I usualy deserve it..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2014
  18. gofast353

gofast353 Well-Known Member

I'm all for the series and hope it transforms the way other countries look at road racing in America. I do think it will bring some recognition to the young talent in the U.S., but I do not have high hopes of there being enough publicity to gain the accolades of European teams looking for riders. Believe me, unless you have a rather large pocketbook, you will not be going overseas to race. They have plenty of racers over there already. I do think in the long run, we might see an invasion of riders coming here to race. Will it be good for the sport? Sure! Will it be good for the production of emerging talent in the U.S. seeking to race on a larger stage and make a name for themselves such as previous American greats? I don't see how, but I do applaude the efforts of everyone involved in MotoAmerica for trying something new to revive what was once a passionate sport here. With that being said, we are considering the series for no other reason than to just have fun for a bit. My son Jay Newton, did his first AMA SS race in New Jersey at the last round of 2014, and had an absolute blast, and really enjoyed going back to Barber at the GNF with WERA for the first time since 2012. We have assembled a budget for the full season, and it will cost about $60K to do it properly, whether we continue with his 600cc program or try the KTM RC390 Cup Series. Either way, the money will be spent because he wants to race, and do so on a higher level. It's that simple for us.

19. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

Something to consider; Most out of country teams that run the Spanish CEV series park their loaded transporter between rounds at a secure location that is centrally located to the tracks and near an airport. I have used a motorcycle factory's secure yard and a race tire distributer's warehouse that also housed a WSBK team, both in Barcelona. We'd fly in, pick up the transporter and go to the racetrack.

All maintenance is done at the track or in the transporter either before or after each event. Its a more cost effective and efficient way to run a series from a distance than driving across the country twice for every round. If you can combine resources with another rider or shop its even better.
    Find a mechanic local to your storage site who you trust and you're gold.

20. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Great attitude, great perspective, and sounds like a great dad. Good luck Jay!