1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2023 Supercross Season

Discussion in 'General' started by Once a Wanker.., Jan 5, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Well keep in mind MA is not getting rich and in order to grow the sport you have to start somewhere. You can watch is on wherever it airs, when it airs but if I’m not at the track I like to watch even practice (which is mostly playing in the background while I work or do other shit). MA is what I consider a very reasonable cost, WSBK and GP is a bit high but unless I am overseas I don’t get the content I want to watch. I like to follow the entire weekend, not just the races.
    You keep drawing your line, save your money for tires. I really don’t get how a streaming app with a lot of content is nickel and dimming, not even close. We don’t have the demographics like say, the UK, to air the entire BSB weekend. BSB doesn’t even have streaming, I get all the race weekend legally although I don’t have to pay as it’s a favor from someone in BSB.

2. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Sad to read that Mookie is sitting out this weekend, for some undisclosed (as of yet,) practice crash injury. A lot of us are hoping to see his first SX win this season.

henry_carlson and 5axis like this.
  3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

The whispers are that it's collarbone related.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. Once a Wanker..

That would make two broken collarbones this week, with Jo Shimoda also breaking his.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Whoever signed Roczen to the HEP Suzuki team did his or her job well. It got me paying attention to dirty bike racing again. Lol!
    I can imagine I’m not the only one who has come back to see what happens.

6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Watching Roczen's retirement tour on a bike that isn't capable of winning, even with him on it?

Circacee and Bugslayer like this.
  7. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Tomac's get off looked pretty violent. his head definitely took a good shot. KRoc looking better and more comfortable each race day. Webb, is out of the early, showing he is hungry again. Anderson needs to find the end of last years groove. Chase did well, even after the mistake. I think I still like watching the 250's better. Ski

8. Once a Wanker..

That would be former racer turned team manager Larry Brooks. He knows how to win championships, with Chad Reed, James Stewart, and others.

9. Once a Wanker..

Tomac's first hit was with his face to the ground, between tuff-blocks, with a lot of speed and forward momentum. Fortunately his second fall from the sky was on another tuff-block. Either his bike or his body was jacked up pretty good, given the way he rode afterwards. I was happy to see him run to his bike when I first saw his crash. 450's look to be anyone of 5 or 6 rider's championship, at this point. Tomac, Webb and Sexton will likely fight each other for the points war, while Roczen, Anderson, Barcia, Ferrandis and others will work hard to win the weekend race battles. I hope Malcolm is back soon, also.

@skidooboy, last night's race was the first 250 race of the '23 season worth watching, and it was a crazy 3 races!

henry_carlson likes this.
  10. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

the whole triple header lowest points thing confused the f outta me. solid racing though, that roczen tomac race two battle was sick

Once a Wanker.. and Senna like this.
  11. henry_carlson

well the only reason to have satellite was nfl sunday ticket and thats leaving next year. it is annoying to have to figure out where stuff has gone but you might actually save some money by ditching dish. and you might actually get to watch some racing too. also its not really the series fault that no one wants to air their product so they have gone to streams.

not to mention, if you have a smart tv, download peacock but dont sign up. chances are they will start offering you a 6 month free trial. i am on my second free 6 month trial atm

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  12. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Same. I still have a tough time understanding the points tallies for both Triple Header and the conventional format. I'd happily trade a few Science of Supercross segments for a How The Fuck Do These Points Work? segment.

Overall thought it was a good show this weekend. I find 250s to be a snooze most of the time, though. I really hope the split coasts is dropped in the next year or two. It always seems like most of the field is running away from the top 1-2 riders - Jett, Christian Craig the past few years. It doesn't help that the show seems to heavily focused on Jett, and I'm just not a Jett fan.

13. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Fairly simple scoring. 3 Races for the night. Each one the same points system. Racers get 1 point for each place you finish each race. So first place gets 1 point, second place 2 points, third place 3 points, etc. Each race you get points for your finish. at the end of the night the person with the lowest number of points wins. In the case of a tie, the final race better finish wins.

so if you win all three races you have 3 points at the end of the night and win.

if Racer X finishes 3rd, 2nd and 4th (9 points total for the night) and Racer A finishes 1st, 5th and3rd (9 points for the night as well) Racer A wins over Racer X because Racer A placed 3rd in the final race vs 4th for Racer X.

The races are shorter so the starts are more important and the riders are more aggressive in passing to get to the front ASAP. The nice thing is you have 6 full races to watch for the evening, vs 4 heat races and 2 main events. I miss the LCQ but the first and last lap of the Triple Crown races tends to be like the LCQ, so you get more bar banging action over the evening. I don't want to see them every weekend, but I enjoy them when they come up.

Now if they could just fit in a joker lane every so often like the Monster Energy Cup that would be hilarious (thinking about the racers who missed the lane a few times).

henry_carlson likes this.
  14. Once a Wanker..

Sexton, Webb, Anderson, Roczen, Ferrandis, Barcia, Plessinger, Cianciarulo, Savatgy, Craig top 10 in untimed practice. Eli 13th

ToofPic and henry_carlson like this.
  15. Once a Wanker..

Good clean racing last night! My usual suspects on the podium, with Webb and Roczen having 'off' nights.

I may be selling some of my 7 front and second-row, starting line reserved seats for the Daytona SX, for what I paid for them, which is pretty darn cheap, IMHO.

16. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Eli is fucking up sexton mentally now.

17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Great 450 main, but the Hims commercials are a bit much for me. Nothing like having to explain away 'getting hard' to an 11 year old girl.

Letitsnow and henry_carlson like this.
  18. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

Please let me know if you do.

19. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Good racing in the 450s, the 250s were pretty exciting at the beginning but once Lawrence checked out I got a little bored. I think it would be pretty cool for brothers to win the 250 titles in the same year.

20. henry_carlson

track was super cool, i really liked the sand aspect. did not like the weird start procedure for the 450's, one of the coolest things, imo, is the turn 1 chaos.