1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2023 Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Feb 14, 2023.

1. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

It's nice to have it explained, but those are some crazy rules. I love how some rules are geared toward ensuring a restart is treated as a separate race, but time penalties for minor infractions are applied in what has already been called a second race.

2. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

It seems like a giant flaming hole in rules -- Example: A fast rider that crashed and remounted but completed 46 (compared to 52 for the leaders) laps gets to start fresh for a 10 lap sprint. This goes against most everything I understand about an endurance race, and maybe that is on me, but it still does not seem in the least bit fair.

3. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

My guess is its written that way to prevent people from taking a "calculated" risk (i.e. decision) to speed on pit lane early in the race in order to stay as far ahead as possible.

Chances are that there will be a red flag in a race as long as the D200. So if it wasn't for that rule, people may be willing to purposefully speed early in the race, knowing that their penalty will be wiped out in the event of a red flag.

Just my SWAG at what their thought process might've been when writing that rule.

Boom likes this.
  4. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

So 1 ,4 , 96 , 79 and 95 were on the lead lap at the Red , 45 went by the 1 twice but early in the tri-oval . You can finish 39 laps and be in to win it :whoosh:. WTF and then to top it all off you will get a 15 second penalty after the race for pitlane violation but you can regain 13 laps down :crackup:. Paasch finished ahead of Davis on track but not in results :Pop: with the same 15 second penalty . They getting a explanation ready for it ?

5. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

That is some Nascar "all for the show" type of ruling for sure. In the end, 1 and 2, were still 1 and 2, before and after, but......

Once a Wanker.. and GixxerBlade like this.
  6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Twins were doing 151!

7. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Into a headwind. Race 2 showed higher trap speeds. They showed 160mph for Mesa I thought.

8. Monsterdood

Nice 1-2 in Twins Knarf!

9. noles19

I thought it said 151 but I could be mistaken

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

but what do twins trap times have to do with the 750cc, duc and R6 trap times.. the 750 sure seemed to have some legs. Gillim setting highest trap speed, and is arguably the biggest guy out there? some could barely stay in Richie's draft. i could be wrong..

11. noles19

Just goes to show that all the trap speeds are higher. which is what I thought you were bringing up

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I Thought initially the 750's had to run a select map setting that kinda kept the HP #'s down? Something to that effect.It kept the 750's out last season until they met the set requirements were met.I would think it all came down to what moto america deemed acceptable? I have no idea what numbers or weight requirements would be.Would they dyno/weigh during tech? Pre and post? I would also wonder if they could swap maps on the fly racing?

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. Monsterdood

162.3mph was highest Twins trap speed in Race 2. There were 4-5 people over 160 over the course of the weekend.

noles19 likes this.
  14. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

All this confusion seems to be because they called it a new 10 lap race, instead of continuing\finishing the D200 race. So dumb... all that work and then it just becomes a 10 lap sprint.

GixxerBlade, Boom and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  15. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I haven’t looked times/splits over closely, but my impression is guy’s on the 750s seem to perform very well, perhaps slightly above what I would expect. That was the case last year as well. If I were going racing Supersport on a budget the 750 would be very high on my list.

16. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

So has Ducati won the shortest and the longest Daytona "200s"?

Peter Hively likes this.
  17. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

The 2023 Daytona 32.0

GixxerBlade and svracer22 like this.
  18. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

19. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Not sure how "budget" it would be after you spent the bucks on the fly by wire conversion required. I don't know the real numbers but I seem to remember it being rather spendy.

20. noles19

Still probably cheaper than multiple 10-12 superbike engines for a year

Nathey likes this.