2017 MGP post season thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Repo Man 32, Nov 12, 2017.

1. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

That's not my argument. I just reckon the gap would be larger.

2. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

10 seconds from the leader in the last race (and many races this season) meant a podium spot, I (and roughly 18 GP riders) would be THRILLED to be 10 seconds from the leader.

rcarson15 and JustaNobody like this.
  3. It‘s Jerez. At Jerez, the Moto 2 bikes lap within about 2 sec of the MotoGP bikes.

4. younglion

It's over 4 seconds/lap off - 1:38's versus 1.42's....

5. Jerez 2017

MotoGP Race fastest lap: 1.40
    Moto 2 Race fastest lap: 1.42

Both races run under dry/warm conditions.

Source: MotoGP.com

6. JustaNobody

JustaNobody Well-Known Member

This and those sure as hell ain't gonna make race distance :)

rcarson15 likes this.
  7. younglion

Ok, I'll use your source too....

First 6 races this year and fastest lap difference at each:

Qatar - 4 sec
    Argentina - 5.5 sec
    COTA - 5 sec
    Jerez - 2.5 sec
    Lemans - 4.5 sec
    Mugello - 4.5 sec

and on and on..... Now you add those us and tell me what you think the average might be between the two classes, I am gonna go out on a limb here and say you'll find it's what I posted originally.

8. Completely irrelevant. The topic was times at Jerez, not the average times over multiple tracks.

badmoon692008 and JustaNobody like this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Suter is pulling out of the Moto 2 business after Kiefer Racing dropped to them in favor of KTM. That's too bad. Even though it doesn't change anything visually, I like the idea of having more constructors involved in Moto 2.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    The Great One and noles19 like this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Didn't Suter drop out two or three years ago also?

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

12. younglion

Well then to that point specifically, at testing and in years past, it's been a much bigger gap to Moto2 at "Heareth":

Testing times this Spring was a 4 second gap
    2017 gap - 2.6 sec/lap
    2016 gap - 3 sec/lap
    2015 gap was almost 5 sec - Lorenzo was insanely fast that weekend granted...

All races under similar conditions - dry and warm/hot.

13. You should have quit already :Poke:

MotoGP switched to a spec ECU and changed the tire supplier in 2016. Lorenzo‘s 2015 testing time is irrelevant.

Also, MotoGP and Moto 2 don’t test at the same time, or on the same days, so test times aren’t a good yardstick for comparison.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  14. younglion

Exactly why I posted RACE times, not testing times with the exception of the first of 4 comparisons...

:Poke:

15. Man, you are an idtio :D

16. younglion

An idtio with too much spare time on my hands clearly...

I'm just grasping for any race related chatter to extend the season and stave off the off-season.

:beer:

17. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Anyone else get suprised by the MotoGP.com auto-renew? I bought it last year, but I should have read the fine print. Merry Christmas, Dorna!

badmoon692008 likes this.
  18. If you’ve got time on your hands, and a motogp.com Videopass, I suggest revisiting some past seasons and classes. I highly recommend the 2009 250cc championship, which featured 2008 champ Simoncelli trying to retain his title while engaging in a fierce 4-way fight with Barbera, Bautista, and Aoyama. Some of the most brutal on-track action ever.

JustaNobody likes this.
  19. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Last year of the smokes. Bautista really showed something back then. That indeed was a great battle. Thanks for the reminder. I bet a bunch of people don't even know/remember who ended up prevailing...

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Can't forget the last year a Japanese racer won a championship!

Incidentally, Aoyama is the reason I push back on the notion that Simoncelli was GP legend, let alone an alien. Not the popular view, as he had big hair. But still. :D