2006-2007 Yamaha R6 Class Action

Discussion in 'General' started by Shady, Jan 3, 2008.

1. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Damn, old skool. I haven't seen that in forever. :up:

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Maybe that's the way you see it or the way you've convinced yourself it is after a career in class action lawsuits but I and others see it as an attempt to extort a disbursement from Yamaha. A discount on an '08, a key fob or Millions in dollars, it's still a recompense.

3. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

John U must be dead!

The only reason I read all these posts is to see the John29 response. (plus Dave K makes me giggle)

4. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Not dead. Observing quietly.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I suppose you expect us to believe that the recovered funds came out of the company's pockets.

6. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

We really, really feel for you.... :rolleyes:

After Law School you only make a "pittance"... :(

Maybe try a different career, say Walmart greeter???

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oh great, you'll probably burst a blood vessel and recruit everyone else I may (or may not) have made laugh at some point and who has suffered a debilitating injury (sodathroughthenoseitis, laughuntilyoufartitis, a case of the hurumphs) and hire a Gazillion dollar a year law firm to file a class action against me.

I'm starting off the year brilliantly. Two threats to kick my ass and yet another BBS induced lawsuit, all in 3 days. Oh boy, I'm eating cup noodles two meals a day, everyday this year, again.

8. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

Why it HAD to come out of the pockets of the Evil corporatons, and was NOT passed on to the end customers.... :Poke:

9. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Sounds like negligence rather than strict liability.

Negligence is
    1. a duty
    2. a breach of that duty
    3. an injury
    4. causation.

It is foreseeable that motorcycles will crash even when used in a reasonable and customary fashion.

The issue is whether Yamaha knew or should have known that a crash would result in the gas tank exploding and that the explosion causes injury.

Corporations have a long history of operating with a profit formula over a conscience. Do some research on the Ford Pinto or Union Carbide at Bhopal if you think otherwise.

10. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

btw...I hereby retract my previous statement about this thread not deserving to be in the Best of...:D

11. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

The question is what percentage of R6's crashed and caught fire while being used at legal speeds on the street.

It is a highway-use vehicle, not a competition-use vehicle.

12. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Haven't you seen the R is for Respect commercials where they talk about their racing success? :Poke: :D

13. Back in 1999 I crashed a Honda F4 because I did something stupid. Even though it didn't burst into flames, it was completely destroyed in the crash. I had to buy another motorcycle, and paid a lot of money in increased insurance rates for several years.

I've owned multiple Honda motorcycles, as well as other Honda products. Before Lawyer-boy's post, I did not realize that Honda owed me a discount as a reward for being a loyal, albeit stupid and clumsy, customer, especially since I had to buy another bike to replace the one I trashed. Those evil bastards never offered me a discount, even though they knew, or should have known, that tossing an F4 several hundred yards down a concrete strip at 70 miles an hour would demolish the bike.

Hey Lawyer-boy...help me sue Honda for a gazillion dollars!

Edit: I've heard, and read here, that if you crash a Honda as hard as I did it will be destroyed. All of us who have destroyed Hondas should join in and sue! Class-action, baby!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  14. 1anoney

1anoney The next member

I cant believe a lawyer messed up and wants someone else to pay. Who would have thought.

15. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Yeah, none of Yamaha's ads show the R6 on a race track. :D

16. RB

RB Well-Known Member

What investment ? Buying a new bike and prepping it for racing is not investing, it's the opposite of investing.

Folding pegs are intended to keep from breaking your ankle if you have to put your foot down to keep from falling over. They figured this out back when something like a Bonneville or Sportster was used as a dirt bike. They didn't have folding pegs and would do a number on your lower leg when paddling through the slick stuff.

17. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

You're right. Didn't Ford get whacked when all those idiots around Chicago with Ford Explorers were tearing out transmissions busting through snow banks, like they showed in the commercials?

18. DavieStone

DavieStone Well-Known Member

Alright Dave K...pull your panties from yer butt and calm down;)

I know Shady personally and know that he is far from the ambulance chaser that some of you clowns are trying to make him out to be. I'll admit that he can get a little hot under the collar at times (as shown at cali this year)...but other than that....he's the kind of attorney that fights for what he feels is right (take this for whatever its worth).

I've had to many attorneys in my life not to know that Yamaha is implying to race their bikes....period. It takes only one viewing of advertisement of Disalvo "backing it in" on the track in full race leathers.

The question really is....when is this going to go from a design flaw to a liability? Think about it. WERA and every club in the nation has known that the R6's are prone to catching fire. In that period they have instituted new rules for tank sliders because of that design flaw and what if....someone died because of this design flaw that club owners around the world knew about? Yet they were allowed to race. Just a little food for thought...because it can happen.

We could go one further with....what if your on a gixxer and get taken out by a guy on a R6 that bursts into flames and burns 99% of your body. Is it still a racing incident or is it a design defect that created severe life threating injury's? Afterall...we all know that they are prone to catch fire and so does yamaha.

I saw Brians wreck...it was a lowside that 99.9% of the bikes other than a yamaha r6 wouldnt catch fire. Yamaha should step up to the plate, redesign the tank and help the individuals that have had their bikes burn to the ground when it should have been a new clip-on and some paint work.

Afterall...the above would be the right thing to do.

See picture of said Yamaha R6 that Brian is talking about.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sweet smoke grey paint job.:up:

20. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Did you do this when you saw it again? :D

[​IMG]