1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Just hot lappers. With some quick coffee breaks thrown in for good measure.

2. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

So, your opinion is 'Unreal' ? Cuz other than that, you essentially just regurgitated the headline.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Just a few examples off the top of my head, some of which occurred multiple times.
    Mansell-Piquet
    Prost-Senna
    Schumacher-Villeneuve
    Schumacher-Hakkinen
    Schumacher-Alonso
    Hamilton-Alonso-Raikkonen
    Hamilton-Massa
    Hamilton-Rosberg

You could justifiably add a third, sometimes even a fourth driver to several of those.

CBRRRRR999, Chino52405 and noles19 like this.
  4. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

For me? 1984-mid 1990s.

noles19 likes this.
  5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

This is F1, not F Brokedick. There are too many rules already. For the top tier there should be a very basic set of car dimension / engine displacement rules that give the manufacturers the ability to innovate. Get rid of the budget caps so that teams can change enough shit in the middle of the season to make their cars competitive. Fuel rules, penalties for changing engine components and spec tires can disappear too. The top teams would still be winning. It is just that the JV teams are a bit closer now than they would be if the big teams could spend whatever they wanted. And bias the points table more towards winning than consistency so there is more reason for drivers to push. I am not a fan of consistency winning titles.

6. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

If you look at @HPPT list I think your comment explains why only 3 of those title fights are in the last 15 years.

Not a Scott Dixon fan I presume.

crashman likes this.
  7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

More Hunt, less Lauda. :D

8. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

LOL!

I agree about too many rules... I think I read they limit the max amount of fuel flow. I think that's BS you already limit the amount of fuel, let them burn as much as they want. I agree with you on a lot of your points.

9. thrak410

They've been doing that for a very long time. Limiting max fuel and max fuel flow.

10. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Max fuel load I'm OK with. I think they should let them determine if they want to make it to the end of the race but flowing more.

11. thrak410

Well the catch is, the fastest cars can be even faster for a short period of time, then dial it back after they have a 1 minute lead to conserve fuel. With a max flow limitation all engines are held to the same amount of fuel per second. The slow cars could be faster too, but not fast enough to keep up or level the advantage.

I'm not sure I agree or disagree with it, but I understand what they're trying to accomplish.

Personally, I'd prefer they release the fuel load limits and allow pit refueling. Run max flow for 15 laps on a light load, take a longer pit stop to refuel, while perhaps another car loads up on fuel and has much quicker stop.

Right now there isn't much available when it comes to different strategies. I can't even imagine how horribly Ferrari would screw up if they opened refueling up as part of the strategy they'd have to consider LOL... I can hear Leclerc now 'I'm almost out of fuel box box' ... 'No. Stay out. Stay out... ' ... ' wtf guys!'

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That came with the return of the turbocharged cars. I am not a fan. Between that and the Pirelli highway tires, we end up watching cars lapping five seconds off their potential.

13. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Key word being "lapping", not "racing".

Lapping to a "Delta". Or, winning a track day. Lol.

DrA5 likes this.
  14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Scott won his last championship in 2020, and I don't think he'll win another one. I'm glad he never caught up to Foyt in the championship stats.

15. rwdfun

rwdfun

Let me don my Max hater hat once again. Loved his hissy fit at the end of Q2 then after he got pole he apologized but I think this shows us how Max will deal with things when he’s not easily in the best car and always winning. My prediction is he will jump ship or retire as soon as it becomes hard.

16. quikie

quikie Fugitive at Large

I thought his race engineer’s reply was funny but also classy.

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

It didn't affect his final lap time, .877 faster than 2nd place.

18. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

In the world's most expensive sport, driving by sponsorship, I don't understand why they are not allowed sponsor branded EZ-ups on the grid.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So, who's going to be driving the second Red Bull when they return from vacation in September?

20. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Breaking news? :D