1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Electric Car Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 27, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Coming soon to a state near you unfortunately. I wish our issues were limited to CA but the nonsense is spreading so best prepare yourself for it now.

tony 340 likes this.
  2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Newsom for president, coming soon :)

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Yet record numbers of people are flying, driving, going to national parks, national forests, state parks, campgrounds, concerts, pro sporting events, and every other place that is becoming more expensive and overcrowded. Welcome to the consequences of the earth having more people.

cpettit and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Record numbers? I doubt that. Increasing numbers maybe.
    Air travel numbers in 2019 were higher than they are today.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Conspiracy much ???
    Have you considered that there is a difference between correlation and causation?
    Do you have any facts to support your theory or just specualtion to create a narrative that matches your belief structure?

cpettit likes this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Censored for the protection of my login credentials…

7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Come on its fishing season and I just wanted to see who would rise to the bait.:crackup:

27 likes this.
  8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

It's almost the fourth of July. In honor of those who gambled their very lives on the formation of the greatest nation in human history, speak truth to power. To do anything less is simply un-American.

tl1098 likes this.
  9. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

cpettit likes this.
  10. 2blueYam

Air travel isn’t at a record yet, but it is close and will be soon enough. How soon depends depends the economy. The rest still applies.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

stk0308 likes this.
  12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

On July 1st, the TSA announced that it had recorded its highest-ever
    number of passengers screened in a single day.

That's an odd way to put it. Why didn't they say the highest number of passengers
    who flew on a single day? Surely that's a number they have available.
    Screened passengers is not the same as passengers who actually flew.
    And the difference is small, 680 people.
    There are a number of oddities in that report.
    It uses lawyer phrasing and cites odd numbers.
    And why compare June 30, 2023 to Dec 1, 2019, why not compare it to June 30, 2019?
    Let's see the average passenger numbers on daily flights, or passenger miles flown
    or even total flights on a single day, and show them over an extended period, not one day.
    Looks to me like somebody did some cherry-picking to write a rosy article.

13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Someone should do a chart for all the people that have bought EVs and show them the emissions that come off the jets they fly on and the refinery scraps that their cruise ships get to burn in international waters

I cant imagine stopping in the middle of my day for half an hour to recharge......and that is assuming the charger is open when you arrive

I thought only white people would pay money to knowingly inconvenience themselves in the name of virtue signaling, but I've seen a few token asians lately as well.

I run a very busy day/biz......I shave time wherever possible

Last edited: Jul 4, 2023
  14. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I think they buy them for the acceleration, that’s the main topic of discussion in my experience and the main thing they want to demonstrate.

As far as the charging during a road trip they recommend never charging to 100% anyway, the navigation will lay out a route between charging stations along your route with 15-20 minute sessions. So we’re talking a piss stop & leg stretching session, prefect for my old bladder.

15. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Last Friday, I hopped in my truck and trailer here in Columbia, SC. I got out at the Bucees by Barber in Leeds, AL. I did the same thing going home. I don't think the battery car will do that for me.

I do like the idea of one for local stuff.

BigBird and 27 like this.
  16. 2blueYam

Internal combustion for long trips and electric for local trips for our two cars would work fine for my family. Some people don’t ever take trips by car. All depends on your usage. Retired and not in a hurry? Electric works fine for longer trips. More stretch and pee breaks. With that said, they need to make sure decent food, walking areas and restrooms are available at the chargers. Pulling into an industrial area at 8pm to charge is not so good. Check out the TFL long distance electric drives. Cal to FL and FL to CO.

17. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

You apparently have been blessed with a bladder of truly epic proportions.

stickboy274 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I beat him. I left Georgia in a Volvo S60 with the eco weenie motor and did get out of it to pee until I was almost to Crowley, Louisiana. That damn thing got over 600 miles to a tank of gas. It still wasn't out but my bladder couldn't take it anymore. I think the car would have made it. I could not.

Crowley, LA to Cumming, GA - Google Maps

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  19. Once a Wanker..

My limit is usually around 6 or 6.5 hours; 400 to 450 miles.

20. Once a Wanker..

Once I remembered that locomotive train engines are hybrid powered diesel/electric motors I've accepted that hybrid road vehicles will likely have a large role the future of transportation. Still not a fan of the rare-earth elements being utilized so heavily in battery and solar production, especially for motorized vehicles. EMS workers careers will continue to become more dangerous with every passing year. Environmental issues are simply shifted to different parts of the world, allowing said negative impacts to be 'outside of their own neighborhood and country,' with a clear conscience.
    Typed with a modern phone battery in my pocket...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.