1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage Time Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by cpettit, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'm sure a vintage Pioneer or Sansui receiver would make them sing. Emotiva makes some nice modern equipment that doesn't break the bank.

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Not a fan of pioneer or Sanusi I'm thinking a Crown or a Nakamchi. But we've got plenty of time

3. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Got this baby finished up last week. Axel Rose approves of it but doesn’t care for the noise. He seems to think it wants to fight him. Came down to Maggie Valley this weekend with some friends and brought it to shake down. After 150 miles yesterday I can confirm she’s a rippah!
    EE580DFD-D0F7-4674-9AF9-009F64528F6F.jpeg 73955158-05A5-4DD1-81BA-8F48611844E2.jpeg F15294B4-8219-48AF-9E3A-B5DF4C88C03A.jpeg

ungwaha, BigBird, TurboBlew and 5 others like this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

Head over to the fontana resort for the ducati east coast meetup this weekend
    Good guys there.

i’d have made it with the monster but something came up

5. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

We are probably gonna ride over there today I’ll see if I can check it out. Yesterday we rode north to hot springs and up into TN trying to avoid some weather.

Phl218 likes this.
  6. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

So the last thing I need is another project but I saw a ad on Craigslist for a 96 CBR and thought I'd just check it out.

Well this one was definitely interesting.

Dude that owned it was a former Willow springs guy that had a stroke about 15 years ago so the bike has been sitting since. At one time the guy owned a large construction business and had some serious play money. Boats, bikes, Porsches, coke & hookers. Money quickly went away and he became more of a recluse. House was in a poor state, reeks of dogs and dust.
    The bike was stored inside the house but the level of dirt/dust was just insane.

The bad:
    No key, missing some plastic, and small parts, weird wiring harness for anti- theft alarm.

The good: Erion built 971 cc engine, Pankl rods, Cosworth pistons, Full Ti Akra exhaust made 162hp with receipts and build sheets. Ohlins Forks and rear shock, Brembo MC, Calipers, full floating rotors.
    Marchesini 17inch wheels with a spare front.
    I'm not sure what the plan is or where to start.

Attached Files:

ungwaha, chobes, gpz11 and 4 others like this.
  7. Wingnut

Oh and I sold the 67 Coronet posted two pages back.

8. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Made this bench for my uncle for Christmas last year. Milled all the cedar from old power pole chunks. Tailgate is from my great grandpas long gone farm truck.
    Gate.jpg Resize.jpg seat 2.jpg Mill.jpg

9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Love the tailgate bench. I wanted to build one like that from my buddies dad's old chev but he scrapped it. He was the beer man for our ball team for many many years, and we drank many pints off the back of that tailgate. When his dad passed the truck got scraped before I could peel the tailgate off :(.

No bike stuff anymore, but i've been building a coal forge lately to satisfy my recent blacksmithing addiction.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bored the hole in the bottom of the firepot lastnight, and that's where I'm at as of now. Firepot made from 1/2" plate. Welded with 1/8" 7018. Forge itself will be 30x44 (3x3x5/16 angle), with a side draft hood for anybody interested in the details. When I finish this it'll be on to building a forge welding press and then eventually making stuff.....lol

Pride & Joy and GRH like this.
  10. Wingnut

So I called Airtech and they can still make this Erion Formula Extreme bodywork. I'm thinking about doing this but with a single headlight and some LED taillight like a RC45 style. Suzuka 8hr look?? Maybe stay with the yellow/purple scheme and keep the gold magnesium marchesini wheels as is?
    I have zero attachment to this bike so I don't mind not going back to OEM bodywork.

Most of the hard to find Superbike parts are already on the bike so it shouldn't be too difficult to make it into a Hayden tribute Erion FX. Either way I really wont be able to tear it down and work on it for at least 3 months

Check out that oil filter setup.

Attached Files:

rd400racer and Sabre699 like this.
  11. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Made a yard roller from 18" sch 40 pipe 60" long, had a local business cut the endcaps on a CNC plasma table using a .DXF file I sent. I welded it up and pressure tested to 5 psi. There's a 2" NPT access to fill it with water. 1.25" USA pillow blocks were found on eBay.
    IMG_3102s.jpg IMG_3093s.jpg IMG_3078s.jpg

Pride & Joy, iagsxr, Sabre699 and 3 others like this.
  12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Nice job. Where'd you get the pipe ?

13. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

My brother works for a mechanical contractor and they scrap pieces like that all the time.

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That would make one helluva bong!

rd400racer and SuddenBraking like this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

<whistles uncomfortably>

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Move to the new house starts tomorrow. Currently waiting on Safety-Kleen to drop of a 30 gallon containers to empty the sump on the mill to start preparing the move.

17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Wish I had a source for pieces like that.

18. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Some weld head adapters, include pressed in guide pins and 18-8 inserts
    IMG_3107s.jpg IMG_3105s.jpg IMG_3110s.JPG

19. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

My dad built one very similar when I was little. My brother still has it.

He mounted trailer hubs/wheels on the tubes by the pillow blocks. Using it as a roller they're off the ground. Flip the tongue 180° it's on tires for storage or transport.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
    GRH and RichB like this.
  20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The beetle looks awfully small in its new parking space.

Attached Files:

Boman Forklift and trussdude like this.