1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Service Fee

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 4, 2023.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Your value in the workplace is what it costs to replace you. Some jobs require very little training, some require a lot. Some jobs are sufficiently unpleasant as to require an incentive to get someone to actually perform the work.

2. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

it was already such a pain in the ass to get to cause of traffic and where it is, that i was kinda saving it until the weekend mostly. but you're right, i haven't gone in like 6 weeks and just feel kinda ehh about it. my iced mocha there is like $7 and its literally next to $2m houses and a private prep-school full of trust fund kids. just fucking pay your baristas a little more and/or add it into the menu cost. shit is offensive. and 30% is offensive haha. i've left 30-50% tips before, and generally its centered around "i won a bunch of money playing poker" or "this was the best service i've ever had in my entire life." putting ice cubes and milk into a cup after espresso has dripped into it, doesn't qualify.

3. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

If I'm ordering food delivery online, I pay with CC.
    I always tip the driver in cash .

tony 340 likes this.
  4. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Coffee place = $1/drink
    Bar = $1/drink or 20% if I'm buying a round.
    Sit down place = 20%
    I don't tip any place else.

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You say get rid of the tips and then you mention tipping anyway, isn't that a worse system?
    Keep in mind that making servers regular employees will increase costs by far more than just the difference in hourly pay. All sorts of other requirements will come into play that will increase the cost of having that employee.
    That extra cost could easily double the cost of your meal, maybe more. Controlling labor costs is one of a manager's top duties and turning servers into regular hourly employees would seriously affect the manager's ability to reduce costs.
    People love to say that they'd pay the extra cost but real-world experience shows that raising prices depresses business whether or not circumstances justify the raise in price. Raising prices is the last thing that restaurants do when financially squeezed, but they're only playing with about a 10% profit margin.

On a humorous note, we used to hate getting Canadian customers, especially French Canadian; demanding and impatient and think a quarter is a good tip. We used to get tour buses full of them and they were such a pain in the ass that we would sometimes deny them service. They'd fill half the restaurant, order coffee (free refills) and an English muffin or something, smoke their brains out stinking the place up, run the servers ragged for an hour refilling coffee, demand separate checks for every customer and then leave no tips and a big mess. They'd leave as much food on the carpet as little kids do. Totally not worth the business.
    This was at a Denny's open 24 hours, btw.

BigBird and tony 340 like this.
  6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Their CEO was in front of people in DC only about a month ago, accused of breaking down organized labor.

I recall him being questioned by a man with last name Sanders, and no he was not a colonel.

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

You rang?

:D

BigBird likes this.
  8. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

What part of the current system is broken enough to change it completely? It better be pretty serious to risk those businesses not being able to pay higher wages and the current income of a huge number of people. Menu prices would skyrocket to cover that amount of labor, you sure restaurants are going to survive that?

What bothers me about this issue is that the people pushing it are doing it under the guise of giving people “livable” wages, when it’s going to do the opposite to the majority of them. It’s the same people that push a higher and higher minimum wage with no regard to the effect on businesses.

tony 340 likes this.
  9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I base my tips on how cute she is and how much cleavage she's showing. Is that wrong ? :D

Steeltoe and socalrider like this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

[​IMG]

How much? :D

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Dafuq?

12. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Yzasserina, TurboBlew and Banditracer like this.
  13. tony 340

+1

People never really grasp the simple reality that equal opportunity doen not equate to equal outcome.

Raising of minimum wage just raises everything else. Congratulations Karen, you just f'd over your retired grandparents. Go drink that soy latte.

TurboBlew and R1Racer99 like this.
  14. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

We don’t agree often so :beer: to that.

15. MachineR1

MachineR1 Well-Known Member

The snobby gun range here has that bullshit. You gotta click through several different options declining the tip, of course it’s easier just to click the 20% tip button. Why the hell do they expect you to tip a guy at the range counter? He collects my ID and tells me what lane I’m on, he’s not making me a fricken’ sammich.

16. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Don't come to the Bahamas, add 10% vat fee and 15-18% gratuity on every meal

17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yep! Here now and there's still an 'additional gratuity' line! Lol

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Used to be they fleeced you for something like $75 'exit tax' at the airport when leaving too. They still do that?

19. tony 340

I find myself tipping extra if the hostess/bartender aren't dumb ass white women with bull rings in their noses.

What a great way to degrade yourself.

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oh c’mon, if the damaged ones didn’t advertise, how would we recognize them?