1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

workplace retaliation question….

Discussion in 'General' started by cortezmachine, Dec 20, 2022.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Did you read what you wrote? Blah blah blah all the things I do, all the things that are messed up, and then I love this company.

Stop loving despite and start loving because.

SGVRider, cortezmachine and R Acree like this.
  2. Jed

Jed mellifluous

How often do cars come in this time of year and how many have been scheduled since you've been back? Go to the manager with those numbers and ask assertively why you haven't been given any and point out ones you are more qualified to work on than other techs. How are the cars assigned to techs? Open schedule, experience with the type of repair, experience on the specific car, personal preference by the manager? Point out that putting you on a car would generate more revenue for the department helping his numbers improve.

3. Poop

Poop solid today

weak shit like that does not work u need to include a land shark

4. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the medical issues, hope you’re doing better dude. This is constructive dismissal. You absolutely have a case, but the question is whether it’s worth pursuing. If it were me, I’d for sure turn them into the California Department of Labor Relations, file for unemployment, and see about getting them for violating various laws protecting workers on medical leave. I’m assuming they broke several of them. They absolutely are retaliating and encouraging you to leave. What I wouldn’t do is bother sticking around or spending money or too much time on it. You should get another job, but I’d personally still fix ‘em up with the .gov for fucking with me. You should be able to get back the income you lost as a result of their retaliation. It just might take a while.

Lots of places will fold and just pay to make things so away once the state starts sniffing around. No one wants them poking around the records and finding other violations.

Meh, as far as chaos and drama go this is just Average Joe stuff. Cortez has toned it down.

cortezmachine likes this.
  5. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I've worked for a few corporations. let me tell you one thing that stands out.

They could really care less how much Xtra effort you exhibit, how hard you work, Xtra hours you provide.
    It's admirable..but all they look at is a "team" effort, in reality that's how it should be, but I emphasize with you as there are many employees that have no pride in their work and no work ethics and for someone like you and even myself that has let's face it likely antiquated work ethics that if you're going to work hard you're going to be appreciated you're going to stand out and be rewarded for all your hard work I hate to tell you but in that kind of work environment it's never going to happen
    (Kind of like my personal relationship I had)

Even if you are carrying the weight even if you are the best employee even if you work with a bunch of slackers... All your efforts are going to go unnoticed and unappreciated.
    My advice.. If you just love this company TRANSFER if you can, or take that other job. Things likely will not change.

I think I understand you you take pride in your work you're good at what you do it makes you happy you treat your work as if it was your own.... I do when I work for others but it is a fatal flaw..don't do it with a "large" corporation.

As a manager you perhaps would have had some influence and perhaps you were asked to be a manager because of your work ethics? You may have been able to turn that shop around to make a profit.
    And I get it.. managers these days often work twice as hard for almost the same pay and you're left with little personal life, and the burden of responsibility often without the power to make the changes required for improvement. Corporations businesses are running on margin profits shoestring budgets and they will never make the changes that you see must be made don't fall into that pit it's fatal.

Right now there's Bean counters looking over the metrics and basically you're considered part of the problem.
    I'd seriously consider moving on and don't complicate your life with legal matters over compensation/ discrimination or whatever. You don't really need this arravatio at this point especially if you can walk right into another position of equal earnings.
    Best wishes, don't hold a grudge, you've got the skills and you've got offers dude! That's opportunity.. many of us don't get that option
    I think about it draw it out on a piece of paper the black and white and don't look at the swath of gray in between use it to make some considerations.... You need to make yourself feel wanted and happy

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
  6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Why is your girlfriend working with the same company at another location factor in your decision?

StaccatoFan likes this.
  7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I know cost of living out there is on a totally different level, but $30/hr. seems pretty generous for you to sit there.
    Either way- you turned down a promotion then shortly after went on medical leave? We're talking about an old school blue collar industry, not the teachers union...some amount of bad blood is not surprising.
    Keep in mind this BBS was greatly divided on suing someone for shattering another riders leg...don't expect a lot of us to be on board with involving the law with something like this. Move along.

tl1098 and cbush like this.
  8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Other jobs out there with people that are not hating on you. As to lawyers and other nonsense life is to short to ruin your happiness for the tiny gain. Start searching, find something. Even give them notice (be prepared for instant walking papers). In short you be the one with integrity and move on to a good life, elsewhere.

Good luck and hoping this does not impact you have a Merry Christmas and Fantastic New Year.

cbush likes this.
  9. sheepofblue

And since it is you Cortez let me ask a simple question. Can you name a single time in your life where lawyers and courts left you happier than before they entered your life? I bet the answer is no given your past history. Be the good guy with a good life. Act with integrity even to those who have none. Avoid being in contact with those of no integrity (lie with dogs, get fleas saying)

Also do consider something someone else posted. When we had an auto parts store the slowest time was December/January so is the volume as high as you think? Or is there a chance that you were fired up to be back and came in at a slow time, thus the discontent. Not saying this is the case but consider it before getting spun up.

Again as shown by Sca the Sheltie, Ho-Ho

DmanSlam and StaccatoFan like this.
  10. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

To me, the answer is perfectly clear if you can have another job the same day you quit this one. Not sure why you would even bring up a lawsuit in this conversation.

11. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

So the regional manager just came in approached me. He was being highly reassuring and supportive. I didn’t say anything about my misgivings, but I’m sure he’s watching the metrics and is getting on them about loading me up with work. We’ll see how this shakes out. Dude knows I’m a worker and all he cares about is the numbers since his job is riding in this facility turning around. He oversees 5 other facilities and this one is the only one not profitable.

12. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

This Old RZ stated it spot on. I can tell you as an employee who is retired after 23 years with the same company large corporations look at the whole ball of string, not one thread. Over the years I saw many good employees come and go and a few come back after they realized that it was an ok place to work and they relaxed and put themselves mentally into the position of "I don't have to be number one, I just have to do my job. keep my mouth shut and enjoy a good life. It paid well, had great benefits and many, many days you just had to be there. You could literally do no work, as long as you were there, had a clean and safe area and went with the flow you never had to worry about your job.

I will say I saw a few who had gung ho, watch me attitudes who eventually left and took legal action against the company. This was a bad choice on their part. They would lose their lawsuits, waste way more time and money than they had and then basically get black balled from the industry as word travels fast and they would be marked as an insubordinate who caused issues and no company would take the chance on them. I heard from more than one that they wished they would not have done what they did.

Relax, enjoy everyday and ride the wave. If you are still not happy move on and never look back. The best thing you can say is nothing.

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I'm kinda surprised the other vatos haven't shanked him for working to hard and making them look bad.

Better watch your back essay.

:D

14. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I was born in a small cabin in the mountains just outside the wishaniggawoulds :D

they do get pissed though. One guy even quit because he couldn’t understand how I was making more money than him. He made them choose me or him and they packed his bags for him. Everyone blames the estimators for not writing the ROs to the max. I eliminate that by writing it for them on paper and taking all the photos myself as I’m tearing the vehicles down and add them to the work file, saving them time and hassle of figuring it all out. and even besides that it’s about volume. I turn more vehicles because I’m not refusing to work on cars until the estimate is perfect. My ethos is “hey, is this thing a go?” And slam it out. I’m not worried about an hour here or an hour there. The other techs won’t touch a car until they’re satisfied with the estimate. On top of that they don’t like touching mechanical or electronics/airbags and I’ll do that shit all day instead of waiting for a sublet mechanic to come days later and do a half ass job for more money. We get higher rates for mechanical labor so there’s money in it.

Fuck em.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
  15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I think I nailed it.

cortez 1.png

Razr and Boman Forklift like this.
  16. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

You better be sweeping the floors and cleaning the bathrooms and shit. If you’re sitting around getting paid without doing “anything” you ain’t any better than the guys coasting.

As a manager I look for that shit, the idle time of when not a lot is going on. The guys that coast get passed for promotions by the guys that bust ass. All day long

17. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Techs work on cars, porter's and detailer's work to clean the shop. I guess you havent been in the collision repair industry at all. techs are paid to work on cars but, they have to have work assigned to them first. you cant beg for it, you cant demand it, you have to wait until the foreman, mgr or owner, provide you with a new "job". this is ALL on the Mgr. something is up with him, and his "attitude" toward Cortez.

@sheepofblue historically the "crash season" is winter, or wet weather season. slip and slides n shit. end of october to about april 15th or so, is our busiest time of year (in the midwest/great lakes region, anyway). our shop is so busy right now, driveable vehicles for cosmetic repairs are being scheduled for the end of Feb, and early March, and we havent even saw our first "real snowstorm" yet. good luck @cortezmachine, hope this gets sorted for you, more sooner than later. from one collision shop rat, to another. Feliz Navidad, my friend. Ski

Phl218 and YamahaRick like this.
  18. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

homie I am the ONLY one who cleans that shop and services the equipment. Trust me that’s all been and continues to be taken care of literally only because of me. I even clean the tech that’s next me’s stall every morning because I like a clean workspace.

19. sheepofblue

Ah yes I was in the mechanical side. And in Alabama so when it snows we close and wait for it to melt.

skidooboy likes this.
  20. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

hinestly it just felt cool for us to be gainfully employed by the same company. She’s never really had a REAL job always just meh jobs. I was proud of her to take it on and we commute together. I guess it just felt good for both of us to be part of something together.

YamahaRick, HPPT and ungwaha like this.