1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absurd Rivian Motors valuation

Discussion in 'General' started by This old Rz, Feb 3, 2022.

1. bigtime

bigtime Well-Known Member

2. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

It has value the same way doge coin and the like have value, even though they are meaningless nothings. Because someone is willing to pay money for it.

BigBird likes this.
  3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Yeah, the neighborhood standards it appeared you were looking for would barely be met by 5-600K, and then only in outlying areas. A private boat dock you're looking at 7 figures anywhere around here.

And the property taxes are notoriously high. My former shack was at 2.126109%

[​IMG]

Current is a little bit better, but out in the boonies. That's precisely what I wanted, but counter to your desires. Rate is 1.709609%, which is still over 10 grand this coming year. :mad: The place in Oklahoma we're in the process of buying will be a tenth of that for 4x the land, though unimproved. I'ma use it as collateral for 2/2 entry-level rental properties in a city with military and university populations and build my empire. Or go broke.

[​IMG]

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

upload_2022-2-4_17-57-48.jpeg

6. auminer

That seems harsh.

Can you specifically cover where he's off-base?

pickled egg likes this.
  7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Firstly, was meant to be more in jest than a hurtful statement.

Secondly, I guess so but I'm designing a new hydro system so it's gotta be brief........

This is a pretty dumb statement.

Demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of how equity is valued.

Not too far off the new price of most pickups these days (mine isn't even a half ton and was $65K).

Trying to decipher this phrase made my head hurt.

Ugh, congrats on all the friends? :confused:

8. bigtime

bigtime Well-Known Member

We are trying to fight it. It’s the underhanded way it was done. The state and local development authority signed NDAs a year ago and negotiated without public input. They are giving them 125 million for land and hiring workers in an already tight labor market. As a business owner I am paying taxes to compete with myself. Our company has been employing people and paying taxes and supporting the community for 150 years and get told to pound sand. And just so happens the chair of the jda happens to have 400 acres of land that goes in this. And he is related to a commissioner that will be voting on the zoning. Just doesn’t pass the smell test.

tl1098 likes this.
  9. auminer

Gotcha. I couldn't care less about the valuation of one company... I was focusing more on the macro effects of the tens (hundreds?) of trillions of stimulus /printing/ fed loans and the near/mid/long term effects thereof.

10. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

You ever see a bucket of rocks? The big rocks are always on top. If you dump a bunch of little rocks on top and give it a shake, the big rocks will work their way to the top. If you dump in a bunch of sand on top and give it a shake, the big rocks will once again work their way to the top. You can dump in as much sand as you want, and the big rocks will always work their way to the top. You can even make trillions of tiny pieces of sand out of thin air, and eventually they will be back on the bottom supporting the weight of the big rocks once again. Laws of the universe.

11. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I see what I see? Call it like it is.

I'm just not one to drink the cool aid.

I'm sticking to my beleifs, until proven right or wrong..no big deal.

I'm more comfortable being conservative, Ive worked too hard for a living to gamble too much.

Could have prospered on a few ventures no doubt like any other

But GET THIS Ironically....We took out the Unimog today drove to the "King of Hammers" event today, in the Mojave desert and LO & Behold !! there was a dusty dirty
    " RIVUAN " in line on the trail to get in.:crackup:
    Kinda looks like a Ridgeline to me. Midsize, not bad looking at all certainly more traditional and conservative in appearance.

Each their own but that Tesla cybertruck looks dorky AF, like something from the 80s James Cameron Aliens movie..

12. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

i saw a Rivian out in the wild on my way home tonight.

it had a dumb custom license plate and the truck itself is ugly AF. I'm sure it's a cool toy, but christ, ugly AF

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

It’s a friggin supermodel compared to the Tesla.

14. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

That's exactly why it's cool AF. I totally dig it.

motion likes this.
  15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The cybertruck is hot AF! Sounds like you have a little neighbor Tesla envy brah.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  16. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

I've relocated back to the Midwest because of EV's. The technology is here, and the infrastructure is being built to accommodate the coming tech.

Rapid charging will be a game changer. Rumors of battery tech moving quite a bit ahead of where it is now.

The only thing that scares me is if the power grid can handle this big push to EV's.

Nevertheless, opportunities everywhere if you situate yourself properly.

As of now seems like Europe is quite a few steps ahead of the US.

backbone likes this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You two need your glasses adjusted. It looks like a five-year-old won a truck design contest in which the winner was selected in a lottery draw and Tesla was contractually obligated to use that design. The kid wouldn't take money to forget about it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  18. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

100%

I still think it was rushed to market to get a preorder influx of cash, and the prototype division only had a box and pan brake to make the bodywork with cardboard templates.

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Reported

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Europe is ahead in what sense? I NEVER see EVs when riding around Europe, with the exception of Norway, where everyone drives one because of very heavy govt subsidies for purchase. Everyone in Europe is still driving stinky little diesels.