1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absurd Rivian Motors valuation

Discussion in 'General' started by This old Rz, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

The Austin Allegro?

2. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Automatic Train Control.
    Monitors speed of trains and can slow/stop a train automatically. Implemented nationally after a few deadly train crashes caused by speed - Outside DC, in NYC, and in the PNW. And the oil train that burned down the town in Quebec.
    AFAIK, all train locomotives in the USA are required to have this equipment operational at all times while moving outside of train yards.

ChemGuy likes this.
  3. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

ATC in NYCT is only partially implemented, and the routes that have it still have a engineer and conductor on board. (Thanks to the Union)

The second part is PTC, Positive Train Control, which was a federal mandate to have it on all heavy rail

"Positive Train Control (PTC) systems are designed to prevent train-to-train collisions, over-speed derailments, incursions into established work zones, and movements of trains through switches left in the wrong position"

https://railroads.dot.gov/train-control/ptc/positive-train-control-ptc

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  5. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

DC's was turned off after the red line incident where people died. the system is still being used for actual train location signals, but ATO (automatic train operation) and station stop is currently still disabled. in full function, it will help space out the trains better so that headways are more consistant and accurate, as well as it helps the trains stop smoother and more accurate coming into the station.

ATO and precision station stop are supposed to be coming back online in the next year or two here... then the "next gen" upgrade to i think computer based ATC instead of the 30 year old circuit tech will follow, although that implementation will prolly take 15 years to fully get replaced.

BigBird likes this.
  6. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Yes, I meant PTC.

I learned about ATC when the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) installed it some 40+ years ago on some of its newer "L" lines. It is still operational for signals and overspeed, but like anything 40 years old, has limitations when looked at from present capabilities.

Too damn many TLA's in my head.

sdg and BigBird like this.
  7. Sweatypants

yea right now it still basically uses current resistance signals to locate the train positions in the system. you'd think comm based, cell based, laser based, something based... woulda been done 20 years ago at this point. I'm sure they are all over the world and at other places, but still antiquated over here yet.

BigBird likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

ClemsonsR6 and long path/road like this.
  9. MyWayGuy

MyWayGuy Well-Known Member

I lease a Polestar 2…

…but not for enviro reasons. It just happens to be the right tool to get around in my suburban wfh life. I believe in using the right tool for the job at hand.

Actually, ive been kicking around the idea of buying gen 1 Ram/ D100. I miss the experience of driving old, pre-fi, nvh vehicles. Plus, the EV is a pretty useless haul/tow vehicle and the gf’s rouge isnt much better. lol

BigBird likes this.
  10. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

1.would never lease
    2.think about it?? Same resource and energy/ fool's fuel goes into all of it but just consider it out of sight out of mind.....just saying.... need to produce make it substantial and well think about who owns it?and what they want to push..

11. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Worse EV gets MAGIC from the wall no emissions. Reality is there is less as a power plant is more efficient than an gas burner even with transmission line loss (which gas has in transport energy also). However the pollution is more concentrated thus I would argue harder on the environment to deal with.

Be sure to watch the South Park episode on smug :beer:

long path/road likes this.
  12. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I saw one of these on my way to work this week......about the size of a Chevy Colorado or Ford Ranger for double the price.

No fuggin' way.

13. long path/road

14. long path/road

emissions out of sight out of mind....amazing...

15. long path/road

what happens when battery can no longer be charged? and considered a hazard/ chemical material? and sits in a pit for 40-50 YRS ? GETS BURRIED BY A DIESEL. ..?

16. Sweatypants

you throw it in the ocean so the eels may charge themselves.

17. MyWayGuy

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

An electric car makes perfect sense for us as a second car except we can’t charge it at the crap shack and even though some of you think I’m an asshole but I’m just not a big enough one to own a soul sucking, iCar.
    I’m sure I, like everyone else, will eventually be forced to get one but I’m going to put it off as long as I can.

19. MyWayGuy

You pretty much nailed it. Its great for a second / commuter only / around-town vehicles. Plus 400 hp and 450 ft-lb is entertaining… Now if only it didnt way as much a full-size truck. lol

At this point, most commuter cars and CUVs would be improved by being electric. Those buzzy 4cyl sound are terrible. Truck and anything where the engine is part of the experience stay petrol.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah