1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which helmet for trackdays, with built-in sun visor and massive amounts of ventilation?

Discussion in 'General' started by Eddie Span, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I have an RF-1200 with the photochromic shield. Works perfect

Kyle Brosius and Eddie Span like this.
  2. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Am I missing something? Why not just use a normal tinted shield? For track use that’s what you’d use 99.9% of the time anyways and you can just swap to a clear if needed. The retractable shields block where much of the venting would be as well. Not to mention I’ve seen guys get sliced by those in a crash when it hits their nose. I just don’t see the upside to them for track use at all.

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

If you plan to use it on the track and want strong ventilation with an open field of vision you do not want a helmet with a drop down inner shield. The brow of the helmet has to be thicker to allow room for the shield and will close off your field of vision while in a tuck. The shield also prevents the designer from placing vents in the brow of the helmet which is a prime spot.

JJJerry, Gorilla George, KMC and 4 others like this.
  4. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

I have the Shoei tinting shield. Not overly happy with it. It gets more of a purple than going dark smoke. I mean, it's handy but I would like darker for bright days. Plus they are $$$ and take one good rock to the shield and you're out big bucks.

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Buy two helmets. One for street w the drop down and one for track w amazing ventilation.

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Agreed. Plus retractable shield helmets are heavier.

BigBird likes this.
  7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Yup.

8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

And they have less ventilation.

9. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

star with the flex liner provides a big window and great protection. been my choice for a couple years.
    Pro tip there is a plug in the front chin vent from the factory and pulling the chin skirt increase air flow a ton

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I just stepped over to my tool box.

11. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I really like his reviews. He gives me the vibe of never being a BS'er.

Here's his review of the LS2 Arrow. One of the main reasons I gave it a try.

12. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Brian Van the man, you would think he could find some tighter fitting shirts.

13. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

Consider that most helmets with drop down visors do not pass Snell certification.

14. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

I think the Shoei GT-Air II and AGV K6 are very good options for street helmets with an internal visor.

That being said, like others have pointed out, those are street helmets. Get yourself a proper helmet for the track with a few shields.

15. Eddie Span

Eddie Span Active Member

Yeah, I like Brian's video reviews also. I've moved them above Revzilla's reviews in my preferred watching order.
    If he's reading this, then I'd suggest looking into better lighting options. Like whatever Revzilla is using. Sometimes the gear is too dark to really see small details.

To update the thread, I've pretty much decided on the Bell Star MIPS DLX Helmet ($400-$500'ish) which comes with the photochromatic shield.
    And I have resigned myself to the fact that I may just have to replace the shield once a year for best darkening performance.

https://www.bellhelmets.com/motorcy...eet-motorcycle-helmet/250070000200000006.html

The advice in this thread was super helpful!

16. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I would recommend going ahead with investing in a dark tint shield for full sun days. That transition shield will do you fine for those partly cloudy and cloudy days for years.

17. Agreed with the others, just run a tinted shield and be done with it.

I run one all the time, unless it’s pitch black night time.

Sunny, overcast, rain, whatever. Tinted visors are great.

Sabre699 and Pixelator like this.
  18. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

ON STG's site, keep an eye on the closeouts. I have purchased a few higher end helmets that just happened to have last years cool graphic for a significant saving. I prefer the Bell transitions visor for the street, but for track use I would just get a cheap dark smoke visor. Not sure why you would change out a transitions visor after a year. My current one is at least 3 years old and still works fine.

Eddie Span likes this.
  19. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I've had two Transition lenses for my Shoei RF1200s in the past 6 years. Both turn quite black in the sun. And do for years. I only replaced the one because of rock pitting. Many thousands of street miles. So, I guess this really means, the technology varies *shrug*

Eddie Span likes this.
  20. Eddie Span

Eddie Span Active Member

I've read several people mention issues with the Bell transition lens losing the ability to darken after a year. And several other people say Shoei shields are newer tech and don't have this issue. I wonder if Bell has revised their shield since initial release. Probably not, since it's still the same part number.