1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which helmet for trackdays, with built-in sun visor and massive amounts of ventilation?

Discussion in 'General' started by Eddie Span, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Eddie Span

Eddie Span Active Member

For that reason, I was going to go with Shoei RF1400 but it won't be getting its transition lens for a few more months. They don't make a transition lens for it yet.
    Could just go with the RF1200 but the Bell appeals to me more so than the 1200.

2. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

There's a bloke on here, well, in this thread actually who can probably hook you up with more visors that you'll know what to do with.

badmoon692008 and mpusch like this.
  3. upload_2021-2-10_13-38-9.jpeg

4. BTW, as a general rule of thumb, you would want the best shit for the track.

Personally, I believe you should always use the best shit all the time. Bones and skulls and shit don’t care where you crash; always have the best gear possible, regardless of where you will be riding.

But on the track performance matters. On the street, it doesn’t. So if there is anything that you think might sacrifice performance, save it for the street. Use the best shit on the track.

Ducti89 and sheepofblue like this.
  5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You are what is commonly referred to as an outlier.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Yes. You are so not average.

7. I’m really not sure how to take that. :D

8. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Maybe the best stuff you can reasonably afford.

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

so for Car Time Trials, they are requiring SA2010+ helmets and not allowing Snell M2010+ or newer.

I would have thought Motorcycle helmets would be safer, but it looks like the SA is stronger...is it because of the hard parts of the car are in play?

10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

SA has something to do with fire proof, SNELL doesn't address that. That's what I remember when researching helmets for 24 hours of LeMons.

BigBird likes this.
  11. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I'm not surprised

13. Eddie Span

Eddie Span Active Member

I bought the RF-1400 and just got back from 3000 miles and a couple track days on it.
    I hate the mechanism that unlocks the shield to flip it up. It's a small button, centrally located just under the front of the shield.
    Very hard to find until muscle memory kicks in and your fingers have the location memorized.
    That got dangerous when my shield fogged up at night a few times because I couldn't find the button to flip up the shield so I could see again (quickly).
    Even after 3000 miles I still fumble around for the unlock mechanism. Fucking hate it.

Also it seems like the top of the helmet shell comes down a bit further over the eyes than I'd like, very slightly impeding vision when in full race-tuck position.
    Not sure if it's normal or not, it's been many years since I last rode or had a race-style helmet (Shoei X11?).

Lifting my head at speed didn't give me whiplash in the wind.
    My head buffeted around a little but not too bad. I want to say my old X11 was better but can't remember for sure.

Ventilation was decent.
    The helmet was fairly "quiet" with all ventilation closed and the shield locked.
    Speaker pockets were a nice fit for my IASUS XSound 3 speakers.

I'm going to go try on some Bell Star helmets and see how I like the shell over the eyes thing. I'm 100% sure I'll like the shield flip-up mechanism better.

BigBird likes this.
  14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

3000 miles with track time too... That's awesome

~sent from mobile

Eddie Span likes this.
  16. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

The “shell over your eyes” could be a fitment issue. Are you sure the helmet is properly sized and not sagging down on your eyebrows? Did you buy your helmet from a local dealer?

The best helmet for vision when in a full tuck is the AGV Pista/Corsa.

wheelz96, Eddie Span and Phl218 like this.
  17. Eddie Span

Eddie Span Active Member

I'd read on this forum that several people use the RF1200 for racing, so I figured it would be a good buy in that regard.
    I bought my RF1400 sight-unseen based on the tremendous RF1200 reputation.
    The RF1400 doesn't block my vision as badly as previous helmets I've used. And it's almost tolerable. Might be for some people. Just not me.

Tried on a Bell STAR DLX MIPS today and it was no contest.
    The shell on the Bell doesn't come down over the eyes as far as the Shoei does.

Gonna put the RF1400 up for sale and buy either the Star DLX or the Race Star.
    Anyone know why the Race Star is a couple hundred more expensive than the Star DLX?

18. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Having tested with and without he is 100% spot on though. I had an extremely sore hand after one crash that without great gloves would likely have been multiple breaks (on top of a fair amount of other injury)

Ducti89 and Gorilla George like this.
  19. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Many people including myself are still alive after bad crashes because of this principle.
    If youre pinching pennies by sacrificing safety to ride the track, youre doing it wrong.

Period.

Gorilla George and DmanSlam like this.