1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'd have to say that the number of bolt gun that can do that, far outweigh the number of gas guns that can do it. The gas guns that can do it seem to cost twice that of a bolt. As far as speed, a gas gun that can do it wont do it much faster than a good bolt(a Savage will have a much harder time than a smooth cycling bolt gun).

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I went to the range with a couple friends last Sunday and one of them had his new Sig P210 in 9mm there for his first time shooting it.

Friends, that is the absolute lightest trigger pull I've ever experienced. It's a great gun...GREAT grip feel in my opinion...but the trigger took absolutely
    ZERO force to pull it back. It's for accuracy and competitions...definitely not a conceal carry candidate, in my opinion. If you get a chance to shoot one..
    absolutely don't turn it down. It's also got a slim and light feel to it as well. Just be ready for a damned near zero effort on the trigger.

3. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Can anyone chime in on their experience with red dots on pistols?

I swapped my guns from a USPSA focus to self-defense gats a while back, when I decided to focus on the track instead of shooting. Haven't bought a new gun since about 2017, but I still keep an eye on the industry.

Seems red dots on carry guns are becoming more and more standard, but is it worthwhile to change over at least two guns (Glock 19 and Glock 26) to red dot pistols? Any noticeable change in carry comfort? I would probably go the Brownells RMR slide route and swap over internals from my stock slides.

Ideally, I'd get a Glock 43x with a slide milled for an RMSc for carry, as I don't love double stacks for carry, but that's a bit of an investment and it doesn't appear the mini dots are as rugged as the RMR or the Aimpoint Chungus.

4. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I have some red dots. Not into them on my carry gun though. Add bulk and something else that can fail. The new holosuns and the Burris fastfires are the best bang for the buck. We all agree we pick up the red better in the day time than the green which is weird because you generally pick up a green laser down range faster than you pick a red one.

Senna likes this.
  5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Certainly there's a shortage of sub-caliber MOA rifles of any flavor but it's not due to lack of interest, it's due to price.

If you consider a sub-caliber bolt like, say, a Dakota at $2750, I think you'll find few shooters willing to spend that money to get a bolt that shoots like a dream but looks like a bag of dog food.
    Personally, I'd prefer a sleeper like a mid-90's heavy barrel Rem 700. Give it an OEM trigger adjustment, a floating barrel Bell&Carlson stock and a good period-correct scope like a Redfield LE and you have a .5 MOA package for $1100 in mid-90's dollars. What's it gonna cost to make that currently AND get sub-caliber?
    Something like an AR10 SASS for $2750 that shoots sub-caliber doesn't look any different than a $500 DPMS...not much to be done, aesthetically, to a weapon built to function-over-form ideals.

Just my opinion, semis aren't necessarily more expensive. More awesomer? Yes. More money? Not really.

Dakota, Rem, SASS... :beer: IMG_0911.JPG
    700 Rem.jpg IMG_1407.JPG

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

The key to a real good bolt gun is the barrel, chamber job and quality ammo(and cartridge it's chambered in). The action, imho, is less about accuracy and more about cycle time.

Gas guns certainly have their place, and can be quite accurate, and more accurate than 98% of people can take advantage of. But, if they are so awesome, then why arent more used in PRS type matches?

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Sub-Caliber? Do you mean sub moa?

8. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Chad you kind of answered it in the first part. They can be as good as a bolt gun but are a little harder to exploit the potential of. Bolt guns are just easier to shoot well without all the moving internal mass. I have and shoot both. I have two gas guns that will outshoot a lot of bolt guns. But I much prefer bolt guns for match shooting, it's just easier. I'll bring one for you to try sometime. Or grab one of the JP guys at the range and ask them to shoot one. (caution, you might love it)

The gas gun world has improved a ton over the past few years as far as precision shooting. Several companies have figured out where to improve and made changes. Just one example - reinforced uppers that reduce barrel flex from loading bipods and pushing the handguard. Even though the barrel is freefloat, the handguard flexes the upper a bit and moves the barrel. Things like that have changed and made gas guns better. Lots of other improvements but this is one example of how the inherent weakness of the gas gun/battle rifle design has been improved to shoot precision. Lots of great options out there now and growing!

9. fastfreddie

I don't know the rules for PRS but there's no need for more than rapid fire in CMP competition. The range for rapid fire is limited to 300 yds and you get 70 secs per round for 10 rds. Going to slow fire opens the range to 600+ yds and you get a full minute per round for ten rounds.
    So, why? Go to 1000 yds and send 10 rds in less than half the time allotted for a single round at that distance. I don't think there's any call for that type of sharpshooting in competition, but if you're gonna plink, plink big. :D
    Sub-MOA is less than an inch. Sub-caliber is a MOA less than the caliber.
    My Rem 700 is sub-MOA, possibly .5 MOA. My SASS is through the same hole...sub-caliber.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I think I've shot Ben's, but I'm just not interested in a $4k gun that wont outshoot my otherwise stock Tikka with a Bartlein barrel.

11. fastfreddie

Agreed, particularly, multiple rounds.
    My Rem is a smooth punch, the SASS beats the shit outta me. :crackup:

12. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I hear ya, me too. That's far beyond the point of diminishing return, it can be done a lot cheaper than a JP.

Yup absolutely. The average gas gun is built for reliability across all ammo so it's an overgassed pig. These days that can be tuned out to be a hell of a lot smoother. Various buffer, spring weights, and my fave adjustable gas blocks can turn it into a whole new rifle. ;)

Sabre699 likes this.
  13. fastfreddie

Mmmm, adjustable gas block...with a zero.

14. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Got a case of prime ammo instead of a pistol I don’t need with some extra cash burning a hole in my pocket

15. smooth

smooth Well-Known Member

The Sig P210 has caught my interest lately. Appears to be a tight, well made pistol with a great SA trigger. Feels great in the hand as you mentioned. Saw a couple of the 210’s around but really looking for the 210 Target. What did you think of the accuracy?

16. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I think it's a WAY better and more accurate gun than I am as a shooter.

Sig builds a hell of a great gun no matter which one you decide you want, in my opinion. I love both of mine. They just fit my hand better than any other.

17. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Speaking of handguns, ammo and shit. I'm listing some ammo, 44 mag, 460 S&W, 454 Casull and a Phoenix Precision bi-pod elsewhere on the webs. Considerations given to Wera & BBS dwellers. You can PM me for details.

18. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

You friend reminds of this guy and his interesting journey through life.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Everman

Quicktoy likes this.
  19. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I want a 1911. Bad. Who makes one that's decent enough off the shelf and won't break the bank? I'm thinking full sized frame in either 45 or 10mm (I'm partial to 10mm).

Are there reasonable options in the $500-$700 range or is there a significant improvement with spending more? Can't all 1911's be modified to perform at a higher level?

20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Ruger would be a good place to start.