1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Warranty is something to consider. Springfield offers lifetime to the owner and turn around time is a week or two.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That's a beautiful gun! What is it, a couple grand?
    I'd give it two things to perfect it to my tastes. A skeletonized trigger and hex head grip screws, both matching the hammer. Damn that would be an hot lookin' piece.

3. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

Read a few threads on 1911 forum, bought the parts, and built it myself =)

There are some cosmetic flaws, but it shoots way better than I'm capable of shooting

Steeltoe likes this.
  4. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

The bipod has sold.

5. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Real Steel, like my welding table. for Sub $500 guns they are really hard to beat..friends who have expensive 1911's are impressed with these for shooting purposes..ain't much for bragging on pedigree or expense, but sling chunks with the BigDog$

[​IMG]

PATBAROK, 83BSA, blkduc and 2 others like this.
  6. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

In my opinion the best value in a 1911 is Dan Wesson. They're not inexpensive however.

wera313 and j cal like this.
  7. fastfreddie

Mine's a simple, first gen 1991A1. Sloppy groups and fit, never fails to send it.

1991.jpg

8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I had a nice Colt Officers Model, traded it for my son Dillan a Peavey 5150 stack from TJ Barfield... :)

9. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Say all you want, and there are definitely a bunch of people here more gun-nutty than I would ever be... but this is hands down one of the best guns I've ever shot:

[​IMG]

j cal likes this.
  10. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Just built a full auto m2 carbine. I’m looking for a nice wood stock or folder for it. May need to look for a WWII colt now to put on display with it. Damn thanks guys.

11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

This original shoots pretty good, although 1911's aren't my thang.

Issued to Lt. Ralph Stovall in ~'40-41, took ashore at Guadalcanal in '42 and carried until the end of WWII. Took it with him for a year in Korea, then was an advisor in '57-58 in Vietnam. Retired a Colonel in '60 and added target sights and competed in nat'l match until the 80's. Dude liked this gun.

[​IMG]

12. fastfreddie

If you're gonna steal stuff, you might as well keep the hold-up weapon. :D

13. fastfreddie

Can't see your pic.
    I'm not endorsing all 1911s as shooters, though they definitely have a good share.
    Mine's more of a pack mule. Sure-footed, works all day, not a show winner but always gets the heavy work done. I thought that it's serial numbers starting off where the WWII numbers ended was pretty cool and Colt made a few changes to bring it up to speed with the “then current” mods (mid-'90s) that smiths were doing...port relief, etc.

My real shooter is a P7. It's dead nuts dependable and more accurate than I am...I'm only able to put a small fist-sized group on a pie plate at 50' with a full mag +1, 8rds.
    I'm lucky to get 2rds out of the 1991 on the plate...the other 6rds are still body shots, tho'. Given I have no intentions of having to use it in a defensive manner beyond 20', I'm okay with its precision, or lack thereof. Oddly, the first round is good for a #20 propane tank at 100yds. It takes two full mags to hit the tank a second time. :crackup:‹smh›

14. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Man there is just something so hawt about a 1911 that is broken in. This is how they should look!

Britt likes this.
  15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I don't really own any BBQ Guns...all of mine get shot,..I have one engraved Super Blackhawk with Ivory grips that gets babied alittle..

blkduc likes this.
  16. Very nice and tasteful build. Be proud of yourself.

j cal likes this.
  17. Yes there is. The guy across the street from me besides owning a large funeral home buys and sells a TON of sport’s memorabilia (online, and sometimes face to face but never at shows etc) and ends up with A LOT of guns. I’d imagine he has over 100 at the moment and I’ll pick up something if he gets something that interests me. He has a couple 1911’s that have some “history” as he calls it and he won’t part with them for anything. Says it’s not the gun, it’s the story of the gun and it serves and was used for a true purpose, there is no value to put on that. He’s also a veteran so that may be part of it. Well and not needing the money. He also has a couple bolt actions used in combat that have seen some serious use. I always feel a bit different when shooting or even holding a gun with real pedigree. Makes you very proud to be an American.

blkduc likes this.
  18. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Fastfreddie. If by P7 you mean an HK P7 then you have one of the best guns I’ve ever owned. First gas piston pistol. Deadly accurate with its fixed barrel.

19. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Dan Wesson PM9

20. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Get a tikka, better action, smoother than some customs. Stock trigger is nice too. :).

jrsamples likes this.