1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living abroad

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Haha. The difference is that I live in the US and have traveled all over it. I'm not repeating stories that were in headlines or applying my own bias and prejudices to places I've never set foot in. I am talking about my own personal experiences, in many places.

Yes - like everywhere else, there are good and bad places in the US. There are places where the weather is ok, or the cost of living is lower, and there might not be as much tension and drama.

But it still doesn't compare. It is better relative to other places in the US, but still way off the charts compared to lots of places outside the US.

2. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

well, they're east of the city, but those mountains are Druze land, and for the most part, i think nobody really fucks with them. east of THAT though... i'd be REAL not into going anywhere over that way at all ever. its funny how like 50 miles can separate total chaos from just another sunny day going for a hike. that's like me driving from DC to just north of Baltimore and running into a war zone. the extreme localization of that is nuts to me.

3. This.

Our goal/reason for all of this isn't to "escape taxes". I know how this board works and the high horses some people climb on, so I shouldn't have even mentioned anything about that. But I figured some people might have some good info.

Taxes (or lack thereof) isn't even one of the top few reasons. Hell, it isn't even a "reason" at all. It is just something to keep in mind when planning this out.

But at the same time, with the amount of money I've paid the US over the years even though I've spent more time out of the US than in it, I'll be damned if I'm going to continue giving them 1/3rd of every dime I make, when I don't even fucking live there. So yes, the way all of that stuff works is something to consider when moving. Hence that being part of my research.

BigBird, dtalbott and Phl218 like this.
  4. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, if you are working for someone as an individual and receiving a normal paycheck there won't be much way around it.
    If your company can pay you through a company (owned by you) things can be worked around quite differently, especially somewhere like Andorra

5. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

I've lived in and traveled to a lot of places. But, I have always said that my ultimate destination will be Spain or Chile. Chile to me is like Spanish culture in California landscape. Get yourself a vineyard and a KTM to ride down to Patagonia area or north to the deserts of Peru. Good business climate and laws as well. Just don't catch a flight with a Argentinean soccer team over the Andes.

Gorilla George and Sweatypants like this.
  6. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Never been to Chile so can't comment. Spain, however, is a shithole. IMHO of course :)

7. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Spain is cool. Siestas and late dinners I can deal with. But if you have a romantized dream of what spain is you will be dissopointed. The girls are defini
    tly cooler in SA

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Don't get the hate with Spain. I love that country. Architecture and culture in Barcelona is just out of this world. I really dig the late night activity. Everyone is out and about. Cross the border into France and everyone is shuttered inside. San Sebastian in the north is fairy tale beautiful. The food in spain is incredible. The wife and I love to tapas and pinxtos crawl all over the country.

Chile - not so great. Santiago is one of the sketchiest big cities I've ever been in. Was there once when the friggen National Guard rolled right into the downtown area we were in and jumped out fully locked and loaded. Thousands of troops. The bar we were in rolled down a heavy steel door and we were trapped in there for hours until things died down outside. The road to Portillo and the Argentina border is great. Some decent wine country north of Santiago. Haven't been south to Temuco and beyond, so really can't comment. I have vivid memories of trying to find my hotel in Valparaíso late at night on a motorbike while being chased by packs of wild dogs.

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

Sorry to hear about that impact.

To ease your mind:
    Germany has lots of camps nowadays to help accommodate and integrate refugees.

Without getting too dungeony, 99% of the US-ran camps all across the world are something I'd be more concerned about than some shot that happened 70 years ago - human rights wise.

Aside from all that, Switzerland is pretty cool too. But neither cheap, nor warm.

10. caferace

caferace No.

Welcome to Cabo San Lucas. C'mon down. The weather is seriously awesome and it's cheap.

-jim

BigBird likes this.
  11. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

But how's the Wifi? :D

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

IOM. Guns, beer, bikes, language...all familiar territory.
    Besides, those of us with passports would love to visit your soon-to-be-Broomed bungalow during the annual "festivities". :D
    I hear they have a pretty good loop to ride, too.

Matt kamman and Gorilla George like this.
  13. Hollywood

Hollywood different breed

Broome I'll only respond with my experiences, because up until a year ago I was really close to what you're going through now.

Europe is cool, but can be pretty crowded. They make up for some of it with great food, history and tons of different cultures relatively close to each other. Taxes abound, everyone's hands will be deep in your pockets. For me it was great for a few weeks at a time, but like DaveK said it would be tough to be there all the time.

But it sounds to me like you're more of a work hard, chill hard kind of guy. I Get that.

Look into Costa Rica and Belize. Minimal language barriers (besides Spanish is easy to learn), loads of English speaking tourists, expats and business owners from the EU, Australia and some US frequent both places which keeps the local gov friendly to your cause. Costa Rica has some weird tax laws around owning property, but once you realize everyone is on the take up front it's easy to navigate. Belize is beautiful, weather is great and the dollar goes far. Plus you're only 2 hops from most Int airports on the African continent, one from the US and usually 2 to the Middle East.

I've got nothing to add about the Pacific Asian area other than it's usually hot, the dollar goes far but it can be a "harder" living. Once you're out of the tourism circles poverty skyrockets. Plus it's far as balls.

Next up for me is New Zealand, Western Australia and Nepal. I'll let you know in a year how those all go if you haven't decided by then!

Gorilla George likes this.
  14. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Have you consulted the chart? I hate to break it to you, but you might be married to a dude.........

[​IMG]

:crackup::crackup::beer::beer:

15. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I thought Australia had some pretty strict immigration laws? As in, it's not happening unless you marry an Australian girl or have some work skill they are sorely in need of.

16. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

It's a big country. I'd take central Montana or Southern Idaho over most of the places listed. Not much for drama in most of those places.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JBall likes this.
  17. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

18. flygirl

flygirl Well-Known Member

I have a couple flight attendant friends that live abroad off and on and another that travels all over the world to countries everywhere all by herself. She would have a ton of knowledge for you. I'm not sure if you are on my FB page but if you are ill connect you to her . just shoot me a message

Gorilla George likes this.
  19. caferace

caferace No.

Pretty good at the hotels and are. 4G cell where I live.

-jim

20. Thanks for that. :beer:

Belize is looking better all the time. I've been doing a lot of research, and have been talking to a guy that's spent almost the whole last year there.

There are some really good retirement communities there. I'm nowhere near retiring, but I like what these communities offer.

You can get a ticket from Belize to Atlanta for $250.

Hollywood likes this.