Living abroad

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jun 29, 2017.

1. :stupid:

2. 418

418 Expert #59

You guys are not gonna be popular around here tonight. :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

No worries, sipping on my rum drink now in Turks and Cacios. Wish the best for you guys in the states

caferace likes this.
  4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Not to mention most people in the USA are wound so tight they are liable to go on a shooting spree like every day of the year. Oh wait...

SuddenBraking likes this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

So why is it Turks and Caicos, anyway?

Why would two places join to become one place & not agree on one name? And if they can't even agree on one name, why become one place in the first place?

I refuse to go there for this reason alone. :D

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I'm not sure Chris is not one of the tightly wound.

I cite the bottled water incident. :D

dtalbott likes this.
  7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yeah, had that gone down in a lesser develop part of the world, the fat, drunk lady would have just stabbed him and taken a case of water.

418 likes this.
  8. Captain Morgan

Not sure Chris can deal with the Caribbean OCD thing here. Everything is dirty and sanitized. As for Turks, there are a lot of spread out islands (about 40) that Britten claimed. Unbelievable diving and fishing. Hopefully find my 10 pound bonyfish! As for the 2 names, not sure why. When you live in the Caribbean anything you have ever thought that makes sense, throw it out the window. If it makes no sense, then it makes sense and you are good

9. Captain Morgan

Unsanitized!

10. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

You are a wild man Chaotic and I hope to meet you someday. If I had an employer that would allow you to live anywhere and no kids at home, I would be looking to do the same thing. Worst that could happen is that you miss the USA and come back. Just don't take up the Muslim faith while you're gone, it could hamper your ability to re-enter the country. :D :flag:

Can someone post up the bottled water thread? I was MIA during those times.

11. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

12. Hollywood

Hollywood different breed

Broome I forgot to add Africa, but I think I remember seeing somewhere that you frequent the continent or had in the past. I really liked Tanzania and would absolutely live on the mountain and inevitably end up as a guide. I found Kenya to be beautiful in both sights to see, places to go, the people and the food (more so on the coast, tons of Italians and Swiss). Unfortunately, the closer to Somalia I got the more unfriendly to me people were. I'd like to visit Rabat and the Canaries one day, I've heard good things about both.

And for the people posting criticism for venturing elsewhere besides the USA, go get some stamps in your passports first. I'll always love the US first and foremost, but a 90 day stay abroad can not only help you realize how awesome our country is, it can also make you aware of how big and amazing the rest of the world can be.

BigBird, tiggen and Gorilla George like this.
  13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I believe I previously stated I've only lived in the States, only VISITED the countries I've mentioned (as per your earlier post). Look, I've got no beef with people who want to move out and live else where...after all it's a free country isn't it...:crackup:. To each his own. One thing I've come to understand is the "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence". My "experience" only comes from friends and relatives and generally when they have gone overseas they are in the top few % (money wise) compared to the local population...not a true picture of the country. It's like looking at Americas billionaires and thinking that's what America is like. Take your bags of money and move to the Philippines, live like a king...it's all good until the locals come knocking with their pitchforks. Don't come crying to me (actually the US Marines) to save your ass. Good Luck. :Poke:

14. Motofun352

You are a good guesser. :D :flag:

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

A lot of generalizing going on. Canada is massive and very different from one area to the next. Mexico City may be dangerous, but so is Detroit. You're painting in pretty broad strokes here...

I don't understand why some people think that wanting to leave the country means you don't love America or that you have some utopian view of the rest of the world. I'm as patriotic as they come, but I don't want to live my entire life inside of one experience. Just because we live in the greatest country on planet earth doesn't mean that we shouldn't venture out and learn to enjoy something different.

Living in another country can also make you appreciate home even more. A friend of mine just returned to the US after living in Nanjiang (sp?) China for five years. She says that she misses a lot about China, but has learned to have a much greater appreciation for the American experience.

Despite a strong desire to call another continent home, I'm grateful that I grew up in America, and very aware that the opportunities and advantages that came with being an American are the main reason I'm even able to consider something like moving to Thailand.

pscook and SuddenBraking like this.
  16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Now reading this I'm wondering why I even bothered to respond to your other post.

WTF are you even talking about? The Marines are in the business of defending expats from pitchfork wielding Filipinos now? Jesus man. You're living your own special reality.

17. Motofun352

OK, I agree, I was a little over-the-top there, just poking at Choatic...a little.;). It is true, however, that I have little sympathy for those that knowingly walk into a problem area of their own volition and expect others to save their bacon. Of course there's lots of exceptions to this, soldiers, statesmen, most businessmen....the kid from Ohio who went to NK on the other hand...hmmmm. When you go to XYZ land to live better not expect all the same treatment as you get in the US...maybe better, maybe worse. Get on the wrong side of those in power and it could quickly get ugly.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  18. 418

418 Expert #59

Henry Rollins was talking about his world travels. Said the only place where he feared for his life in his travels was...L.A.

Perception vs. reality

Not trying to pick on you Motofun but you represent a good majority of how most Americans think. Never been there, but it must be bad because America is the best country in the world and the rest of the world is dangerous. Because TV says so.

It's equivalent of only riding one motorcycle all your life and then proclaiming it as the best bike ever when you have absolutely no point of reference.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Henry Rollins is a goober too - and rich. His perception isn't reality any more than anyone elses. The simple facts is rights you have here in the US do not carry over to a large portion of the world - so yes, it it more dangerous there. Is anything likely to happen if you're not an idiot? Nope. But it can, and if it does you're more screwed than here or the Europe or the like.

America is great. It is better than a lot of the world. Safer? That all depends on what part of the US you're comparing to what part of the world. Lots of the US out there and lots of the world out there. Overall most people in both are just living their lives as good people, doesn't matter where you are.

Motofun352 likes this.