1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just how cheap are you?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Okay, I have this weird and undeserved reputation as possibly being a bit "tight" with my money. I know, right?

Step right up folks, see if you can out cheap the amazing cheapy mccheap cheap guy!

I wear a pair of sneakers that are a full size too small because they were on sale for $15 cheaper than ones that would fit right! So, what 'cha got?

2. Oh yeah, well I uh.....I mean, I normally.....shit. Never mind. :crackup:

Nick_OMC, MikeR, BigBird and 4 others like this.
  3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

No wife + no kids = no need to be cheap :p

kbro45, tropicoz, BHP41 and 4 others like this.
  4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I cut my own hair with an electric dog trimmer because I ain't paying $20 to have a gunt rubbed on my arm for 30 minutes.

kbro45, drop, sharkattack and 3 others like this.
  5. Bobby_Evans

Bobby_Evans Well-Known Member

Huh? ^^^^^

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

6. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I'm cheap as fuck. But becoming less and less cheaper by the day in regards to stuff involving bikes.

All I can say is that FUCK me it was hard letting go of $600 yesterday for the Pitbull TRS's.... I talked myself out of it since last week.

Wheel Bearing and BigBird like this.
  7. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Fixed

Bobby_Evans likes this.
  8. glenngsxr

glenngsxr Well-Known Member

I have that reputation as well. I wash plastic silverware and reuse them. I make pretty decent money and drive an 04 Saturn with 190k on the clock. I buy used tires for it when that time comes (you'd be amazed what you can find on CL). I shave with soap cause I think shaving cream is a ripoff and I will use a blade till it hurts. I'm a nazi about leaving lights on in the house and since I like the cold and am cheap with the heat, my wife swore she saw her breath one morning in my house when we first started dating. I could go on forever. What's interesting is how cheap I am on certain things, but not on others. I think it's more of a perceived value thing for me. I go to Starbucks twice a week religiously.

cajun636 likes this.
  9. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Not as cheap as Dave K

10. I haven't bought a pair of pants or shirt in 2 years and I'm down to 2 pairs of pants and maybe 10 t-shirts total I think. One pair of pants is high watering bad. I did buy a panigale motorset last night though, I'll consider myself negated.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hint: Use cheap hair conditioner as shaving cream. It's under $2 bottle and works extremely well. :) Cheaper than Ivory soap.

t500racer likes this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Don't shave. Problem solved.

Additional bonus is you don't wade food by dropping crumbs.

13. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Been cuttin' my own hair with the dog trimmers for past 18 yrs. I'll not spend more than $70 on a pair of sneakers and can make that cost-effective set last 3yrs. with Shoe Goo and decent insoles. Gave up replacing body work and fancy paint jobs after hitting the deck and went with combination of zip ties, duct tape, bondo, and Krylon from Walmart. Function over form. Learning how to fix many of the things I used to just replace. Just a few off top of head. I'm sure my wife and kids could generate quite the list, as they're always calling me a cheap azz.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm down to less than a weeks worth of shorts and a weeks worth of jeans - luckily I can do either or right now til it gets cold. Jeans are easy enough but I realized I have no clue the brand of shorts as the damn labels are totally faded.

T-shirts are plentiful but that's part of the job.

I did finally buy a new pair of shoes last month.

I also dropped a bunch on a new GPS :crackup: It's a priority thing!

15. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Oh oh, and I'm so cheap... I'll buy second hand.... walmart brand shorts lol Beat that shit. I'm so cheap, I'll even buy second hand shoes (not running).

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yea, I'm a cheap a.. It is interesting how the purse strings get looser after you get married and have kids. I was so frugal when I moved out on my own, I wouldn't even go out to eat lunch in my first job out of college. I paper bagged it. Finally a guy convinced me to start going out with him on Fridays. Now I always go out to eat lunch at work.

My last year racing go-karts, I won a championship in 2000-02 time frame. I felt guilty spending money that could be used for the kids. I ended up only spending $1500 the entire season of racing, and even ran other guys takeoffs, etc. Interesting when it is your kid racing, and mama supports it, I wasn't nearly as much of a cheapskate.

Also interesting to hear Tyler discuss family purchases, or his own purchases, and compare that to sets of race tires. When I raced, I seemed to compare many purchases to how many sets of tires and if that was worth it or not?

I have ruined him. When he saved up and bought new wheels and tires for his Scion FRS, he thought it was cheap? I asked why and he said, "when you drop $400 on a set of race tires, and buy multiple sets for a weekend, I will forever think spending $1500, on tires and wheels that last for years, is A HUGE BARGAIN!"

beac83 and BigBird like this.
  17. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

You nailed it.. Perceived value. It's not the price it's what I'm getting for my money.

kbro45 and SuddenBraking like this.
  18. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

My everyday work shirts, (dress shirts in an office) eventually blow out the elbows. For whatever reason, that's what wears out on them. So those shirts become my winter wear. "huh, what you say?" Well, I still wear them but underneath sweaters. Hell, those shirts have lots more miles in them! So the closet has a section of blown out elbow dress shirts.

19. glenngsxr

glenngsxr Well-Known Member

This presents a problem cause I don't believe in shampoo or conditioner. I have really short hair so I just use soap. Been doing it all my life. I shave in the shower so the soap works just fine actually. I buy shoes from Wal Mart now actually (except my running shoes). My family loved debt and "stuff" growing up and it makes them slaves so I chose a different route. I'm cheap, hate debt, and have always been a good saver. Had $100k in retirement by the time I was 25. Not being cocky whatsoever, just to provide some scale.

That being said, there are things I splurge on. I won't hesitate when it comes to good food, good alcohol, racing stuff, and travel.

Boman Forklift and BigBird like this.
  20. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Good thing you're not ubër dörk and wear swéatēr vęstš. :moon: