1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which AR 15 type rifle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

LWRC went in the shitter too? I quit paying attention, but seems there's a new flavor every 6 months.

LWRC supposedly has a big deal with the Saudi's, this might be a good idea for a reportedly struggling Colt to find something that will keep them moving money while they come up with a new strategy.

who knows. CMMG for me - bang for buck and whatnot.

2. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I'd like to build either a 6.8 AR or a bolt action .308. I'm not sure which would be more fun. I have a Black Rain PG9 now that is fun to shoot but something to hunt hogs with would be a hoot.

3. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

I own their .308 and a couple of 5.56s. Their furniture is the only thing I put on my rifles. Extremely accurate and incredibly reliable.

4. Aaron71

Aaron71 BEEMER

Almost finished with my 300 Blackout build....Optics and Suppressor to be the next mods! :cool:

Attached Files:

5. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Nice. :up:

I finally found a 18" SPR profile barrel for my 6.8SPCII build. I've had a complete lower and upper receiver built for a year just waiting on the rest of it. Just need a bolt and a handguard now. Trying to find a relatively narrow one with a permanent upper and lower full length rail section, but no sides. I can find ones with a complete upper, but only with lower sections at the muzzle. Not a fan of bolt on rails. Also checking out some of the keymod stuff, but I don't know too much about it. Anyone have experience?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Following news that the peeps in China have an enormous surplus of copper. As the most expensive component in ammo manufacturing maybe prices will ease over the next few months. Maybe. The price of copper has been in free fall.

7. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

Anybody have experience with the nickel boron bolt carrier groups?

Last time at the range I had 2 dry fires, that I attributed to sloppy action from the bolt carrier. The finish on my carrier is pretty course and I suppose I could get after it with a polishing wheel and compound. I've found this http://www.amazon.com/WMD-Guns-Carr...+Part+Nib-X+Carrier+Group/Hammer+NIBXBCG-0002. Seems like a nice BCG, and the hammer is included.

Might just get it and do the polish job on my stock BCG and see which I like best.

My upper is DPMS 5.56

Colin

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Two dry fires? :confused: I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Without knowing the malfunction, the ammo, whether the rifle was lubed properly it's impossible to say what the problem is.
    I never saw the need in these snazzy finishes on the carrier. Lube the gun properly and it runs. The carrier only contacts the receiver on it's rails. No need to lube the entire carrier and no need to refinish the entire carrier. It's only the rails, the cam pin and bolt that need lube.

9. colin96

The pin did not impact the center fire on the bullet hard enough to fire. It left a mark, but no boom. 2 separate bullets, Federal 5.56, and both times it was first round in the mag after reloading.

The gun was cleaned after last range visit, and I use Hops oil, leaving it a little wet. This was the 3rd mag on this visit, 30rd pmag magpul. I've learned my lesson with those pmags to only load 29 rds, or it has trouble slamming home in the receiver.

Gun was getting hot also.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

First, who put the lower together?
    (PS-Pmags were specifically made so they don't need to be downloaded like some traditional mags. They do need some force to seat them but that's normal.)

11. colin96

From the factory, no mods. DPMS upper and lower

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I would dbl check the hammer spring is installed correctly.

13. colin96

Ok, I'll look into it.

Thx Toe

14. jamespierce

jamespierce Well-Known Member

Cool AR-15

Probably will never make it to civilian market, but pretty mean looking. Who would not want a double barrel AR-15.

Attached Files:

15. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

What kind of upper assy is that? I want my next AR to be a 300 blackout. Yours is exactly what I'm looking for.

16. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

17. orientexpress11

orientexpress11 Well-Known Member

Did the primer have a full strike and indentation from the firing pin? If so, it's prob the ammo and not the rifle (although your choice of rifle is questionable, at best, but that's a whole different conversation).

18. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

^^^^^^This is the Gospel^^^^^^

:up::clap::up:

19. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Weird, I heard their M6's are extremely nice rifles only a year ago, a friend of mine who went through some advanced training down south said the instructor (Federal agency) swears up and down by them, saying they're solid rifles. When it comes down to it, opinions are like .....

I've been playing with the idea of picking up a .300 upper for my AR platform....iirc, it's only $750 or there abouts.

20. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Exactly concerning the bolt. I've yet to have a malfunction with my 1974 SP1 AR15 that I bought new in 78. 36yrs and aprox 12k rounds thru it. Zero issues. None.. Nada.. It still has a phosphate BCG (bolt carrier group, for the AR newbs), altho thats been a Colt M16 BCG(same exact bolt functionally) since 1982ish.

I do have a NIB BCG in another(fav) AR. Figure what the hell.. But NIB and chrome bolts do indeed have a lower drag coefficient. So in theory, and since ARs do in fact like to run wet-ish..they will run longer/more reliably when the lube gets dry/dispersed.

The only other benefit for a chrome or NIB bolt, is easier overall clean up.

..and they look cool:clap:.

The end

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014