1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey AMA Your Jump Start Rule is STUPID.

Discussion in 'General' started by Britt, Sep 15, 2013.

1. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

JH2 said he was pushing hard up until the little slide he had. At which time he realized he needed to back off because he remembered JH1 had a penalty. At that point in the race JH1 just went to the front. JH2 had nothing for JH1 from qualifying to the end of the second race. Just like every other weekend save one race.

2. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

HELLO...anybody home??? So you are saying that rolling forward when the light goes is not an advantage???

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

according to many other pro roadracing series around the world.. no, if you stay within the box. :)

4. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

If they're in the box/behind the line - YES. It is not an advantage.

Sorry, it's just how I feel. I'm just done some hack clubracing, so I can't count the tenths-of-a-hundred advantage for settling the forks/straightening the rider stance on the start line. But the video shows no example whatsoever for any reason to dock a rider five seconds.

And I wouldn't care if it was the last rider qualifying who was docked - I'd still feel the same way.

He simply didn't jump the start. And that's the point of the rule here, no? No jumpstarts.

5. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Here's how much of an advantage he got. Definitely worth 5 seconds.:down:
    [​IMG]

6. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

It appears that #36's front wheel is off the ground...:confused:

Really Tdub?? In a 23 lap RoadRace...come on man, you and I both know that it only matters IF you get docked 5 seconds at the checkers...before that it is racing...guys on equal bikes racing.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  7. People keep going on, and on, and on with shit like "just don't move" and "don't break the rules" and "if a few mm doesn't matter, then why try to gain that little advantage". You are missing the whole point. He didn't TRY to move. It wasn't on purpose. I am obviously not in Hayes head, but I seriously doubt he thought "im going to shift my body and wiggle a lil bit to try to get my momentum going and maybe I can gain 2mm and that will make me win".

People keep making comments as if it was on purpose and he shouldn't have done it. That he shouldn't have known better, that he should have followed the rules, etc. It wasn't on purpose. He didn't purposely break the rules.

As previously mentioned several times, by several different people, the bike is revving to the moon, the clutch is right at the point of engagement, you are trying to get/keep your body in position etc. Sometimes, things happen or movements occur that you aren't intending to make. That is the whole reason behind the "competitive advantage gained" clause. It is almost impossible for everybody to sit there, dead still, no movement, etc. That is why there is a catch in there to determine if the rider actually left early and gained an advantage, or if it was just a small mistake or accident that caused a tiny bit of movement, that didn't gain him any advantage.

In the latter case, that small movement, which didn't make any difference in the launch, much less the whole race, shouldn't be penalized. As is the case with other sports and other racing orgs, the race should be determined by the players/racers, not the officials.

And by the way, the whole point of this thread isn't what Hayes did or didn't do, or if he tried to move or shouldn't have moved or any of the other bullshit people are going on about. The whole point, as it says in the damn title, is that the rule is stupid.

8. As it should be.

Like I said, it is like DMG is trying to be different, for the sake of being different. It is almost as if they purposely want to have different rules and different procedures just to stand out or just so they can have their own thing going on.

Which is exactly what we don't need.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm hungry.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dave is good. I'm not sure what if any influence he has on what is going on but my guess is not much. Hell, I know he knows racing, I remember him in his van just like most of us.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm sure this will piss you off and DMG people but I think you're delusional on this one.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. The kid has nothing to do with ANY of this discussion.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No offense but no. Too many ifs. No way to know what either Josh could have done with no silliness.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's the white boots. Cheating bastid. :crackup:

15. :crackup:

16. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

The stupid thing is a rider of his experience placing the front wheel write on the line

17. Keep in mind the AMA has their own set of rules over here (as ridiculous as it is) and therefore, it doesnt matter. Even if he was 2 meters behind the line, due to their definition of "ANY MOVEMENT", he still would have been penalized. :)

18. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You're entitled to your opinion, that's quite clear.

19. jmanley

jmanley Well-Known Member

I like Formula 1 where there is a driver representative for each race with the stewards to add a driver perspective to rules enforcement.

20. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

O well, rules are rules and shit happens