1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sepang, Malaysia Test One | MotoGP 2010

Discussion in 'General' started by caferace, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Sevenfiddy

Sevenfiddy Well-Known Member

I predict Ben Spies will take pole position in his first race.

And win.

2. r1ryder424

r1ryder424 Well-Known Member

So at the end of testing

1. Valentino Rossi ITA Fiat Yamaha Team 2min 0.925 sec (32 laps)
    2. Casey Stoner AUS Ducati Marlboro Team 2min 1.320 sec (36 laps)
    3. Jorge Lorenzo SPA Fiat Yamaha Team 2min 1.680 sec (60 laps)
    4. Dani Pedrosa SPA Repsol Honda Team 2min 1.822 sec (50 laps)
    5. Ben Spies USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2min 2.266 sec (31 laps)
    6. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Repsol Honda Team 2min 2.272 sec (56 laps)
    7. Colin Edwards USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2min 2.479 sec (42 laps)
    8. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Marlboro Team 2min 2.493 sec (55 laps)
    9. Aleix Espargaro SPA Pramac Racing 2min 2.647 sec (33 laps)
    10. Loris Capirossi ITA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 2min 2.763 sec (48 laps)
    11. Marco Melandri ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini 2min 2.810 sec (55 laps)
    12. Hector Barbera SPA Aspar Ducati 2min 3.032 sec (51 laps)
    13. Randy de Puniet FRA LCR Honda MotoGP 2min 3.043 sec (48 laps)
    14. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN Interwetten Honda MotoGP 2min 3.195 sec (56 laps)
    15. Marco Simoncelli ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini 2min 3.245 sec (49 laps)
    16. Alvaro Bautista SPA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 2min 3.274 sec (37 laps)
    17. Mika Kallio FIN Pramac Racing 2min 3.359 sec (53 laps)

3. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Hot damn, nice! Forgive me while I still bow to Rossi. Dang...just dang.

I want to say this year I'm not even worried about Spies hitting the podium. But, then I think back to last year. Straight from the very first practice he was lighting up the screens. I think the world was quickly in awe. I won't doubt him winning a few this year. I think it will be hard to topple Rossi and Stoner, but if anyone can do it, it's Ben.

4. cody620

cody620 Well-Known Member

In a interview with Spies on monday he said they are not concerned with lap times he just wanted to get used to the 2010 bike and start making some adjustments and to get more comfortable with the Bridgestones. He stated that in 3 weeks they are back at the same track for more testing, He said thats when he plans on getting down to business.. If u wont to read more its on Motogp website( as Mondays Latest news) Hope this isnt a repost,, If thats still the plan then cant wait until 3 weeks.

5. RobertoRolfo

RobertoRolfo Banned

You know what? I'm actually glad put in a fast time on day 2... this way plenty of people could come out of the woodwork and demonstrate exactly what I am talking about.

Yesterday it was just a test, and yes, no points awarded for testing. Today? Still and test and no point, but plenty of "front row" and "podium" predictions. Whatever. Good for Ben. He put in a fast for sure.

Question for his dad, or anyone else 'in the know': How come he only put in 31 laps, the least of anyone? They said it was raining on and off, but still. Just curious.

Also, for everyone else, do you all generally consider HJC to be on the crappy end of the helmet scale?

As for the Honda situation, some interesting info on GPone.com. First, they are reporting that the private Honda teams (or Gresini anyway) are already using the 6 engines they have for the year. They have a quote from Melandri's crew chief Jimenez, about not running much in the rian, "We only have six engines available for the entire year, as of yesterday. Running in these conditions doesn't do us any good."

So yeah, if that is the case, one would have to think the Gresini bikes are dialed down a bit for the test. Seems ridiculous, but whatever.

Aslo, some interesting background from Kazuhiko Yamano, HRC Team Director and Shinichi Kokubu, head of development for HRC:

"It is true that all the bikes are equal, but the factory bikes have different electronics. If they work well then latter on they will be passed down to the satellite teams." - Yamano

"The two official riders (Pedrosa & Dovi) work as two separate teams, and this works fine. Yamaha is actually a bit late to adopt this policy, we have been doing it since 2008. Naturally we are able to access everyone's data and put it together to help with development, but the data is not shared amongst the two riders." - Yamano

Q: Is it true that the new suspension linkage is more of a Yamaha style set up? "Yes." - Kokubu

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, their predictions are silly, a lot like your bullshit yesterday....

Number of laps I'm guessing is due to working on the bike more, making it fit him and so on. If he says they're testing stuff then that's exactly what they're doing and he's pretty much ignoring the laptimes compared to the other riders.

Pretty sure I already said I think he'll be top 5 week in and out, podium occasionally, and possibly win one this season. It's not going to be like last year but he really is good enough that by mid season he'll be with the aliens. As for the other US riders, I like em both a lot but Ben is faster.

7. HadBen

HadBen Well-Known Member

Ben did not ride today until after lunch. It was not wet enough to really work on a wet setup and not dry enough to get any useful data, so Ben and the team worked on other things. He rode well this afternoon and never looked at his standings until we were ready to go back to the hotel. Ben has a lot to work on without worrying where he is positioned against his competition. There will be plenty of time for that when it matters. I thought it was a good day and he and his team exceeded their goals.

We start the journey back to Texas tomorrow.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Dont forget the helmet.

9. HadBen

HadBen Well-Known Member

Helmet? What helmet?

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I imagine Audry can hook you up with a good one when y'all get home...

;)

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pretty sure he has plenty of them - at home :crackup:

I am bummed he's not switching to Arai, I just can't get myself to buy an HJC.

12. Garyb425

Garyb425 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that several riders did not improve their Thursday times, so that list is only for today. I didn't expect Rossi to improve!

RR, the excuses for Melandri and Simoncelli started early! Imagine what you would say if Spies was down there with Sic (regardless of whether or not he had the same electronics as Rossi)... And there is no sense in circulating on a damp track (as opposed to a wet one), that's just asking for injury.

Anyone that thinks Spies is going to be on pole or win race one hasn't been listening to what Ben himself has to say - because, barring a freak occurrence, no.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ben always downplays his abilities, we've had discussions about that in the past. Damn kid is way too polite sometimes.

To be totally honest I expect Ben to win before the year is out. It'll take the right circumstances but I think it'll happen.

14. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I was just going to post that I think Ben has a great chance of winning one this year.

Mongo, when did he start racing with you guys?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Back when I was skinny and pretty.

16. Putter

When you were a toddler? I didn't think Ben was that old.

17. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

So he never did then? :D

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

HA! I wasn't skinny as a toddler :) I think truly skinny was around 10-13, maybe not that long....

As for Ben, I honestly don't remember what year, prolly 97/98 for the Nationals. I remember him on a 125 and then up to the 205, I remember Keith Cherry. I remember him and Mary being at VIR for the first time with a new RV they needed help parking :) I remember a lot of races/tracks/etc... but I'm lost with regard to years.

19. Putter

I first remember wondering who that #11 kid was around 2000? 2001? Back when it was still 750 SS and he was riding the Valvoline bike.

Good luck this year Ben.

20. Chand

Chand Well-Known Member

GO BEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!