1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thanks From Markb

Discussion in 'General' started by MarkB, May 9, 2007.

1. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Your tongue is not broke. :Poke: :Poke:

2. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

Thanks Stan...and thanks for your encouragement (everyone else too...)
    :)

3. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

He said 'horndogs' not 'corndogs.'

Back to work.

(this is my 10,000th post, and I"m damn proud! :D)

4. DangerZone

DangerZone CAUTION!

touching yourself doesn't count

5. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

Cheers Mark. Hope you had a good day mate.:)

6. Don't tell mom

Don't tell mom Well-Known Member

yes what he said:up:

7. MarkB

Update May 20th

Well it’s been a couple of tough days, which is why I haven’t been able to use the PC much. But I wanted to make an update.

So here I am, exactly 3 weeks to the hour from my crash. The first hour was a living hell. I remained perfectly calm, but I honestly believed I had internal bleeding as well as paralysis and spent the painful ambulance ride making peace with God, and telling the ambulance men to tell my family and Sam how much I loved them, and that I had no regrets dieing from something I love so much.
    There were times when I started to fade, the colors went, but I tried to concentrate on my breathing, to keep myself awake. I arrived at the hospital and later they told me I was very close to needing ventilation.
    Once I was stabalized, I remember seeing Sam first, and then my parents, who had flown from England as soon as they heard. I remember seeing my boss and a colleague from work. They all seemed devastated for me.
    It was at this point that I decided I was ok with paralysis, that this was the start of a new life for me. I asked Sam to marry me and she was genuinely happy to say yes. At this point I knew everything was going to be just fine. Sure I was going to be in a wheel chair, but I was going to be a father, a husband, and I was going to carry on enjoying life.

This is where I hit some naivety. I guess I expected to be released from hospital with a wheel chair and an instruction book, ready to go forth and live this wonderful life I have all planned out. Well, that’s not quite how it’s working out here.

Breaking your back means that your brain loses contact with certain vital functions. The most problematic of these are the bowel and bladder. Everything works down there, but the brain cannot tell things when to “go”. Living with this technical reality has actually been very painful. I did not get sleep last night, and was in considerable pain, as me and a couple of nurses tried everything to kick start things. I can still feel things down there, but I cannot control them. It is painful and disheartening. I could not do anything the whole day yesterday; I was in too much discomfort.

In an attempt to get my bowels moving again I went completely cold-turkey on my (very strong) pain medicine. It’s my decision, but I am now in a lot of pain from my back, just to try to relieve the bloating in my stomach. My body is changing too, my legs are losing their muscle, and my stomach is ballooning. I cannot sit upright, more of a hunch, from all the hardware in my back. My masculine shape is starting to leave me for a weaker one; this is depressing.

We had a meeting with all the medical experts yesterday also. I went into the meeting optimistic, but they pretty much brought me down to earth fast. It appears there is all but no chance of my condition improving. I will never get control back over my legs, and bodily functions. I really didn’t care before about walking again, but I guess I did secretly hope for something. Vincent can walk with help; I was hoping to at least get that. I really did screw up my body with this crash.

Having said all that, it is easy for me to remember how I felt in that ambulance, how I prepared myself to meet God. I know how totally accepting I am of being paralyzed, and how sweet fresh air tastes, and how beautiful the eyes of the girl you love are and how loved they make you feel. I know how safe my parents make me feel as they look down on me, and how that is the best pain reliever in the world. And then I think about everyone out there trying to help me, the auctions, the group photos, the 701 stickers, people thinking of me, praying for me. Your places are definitely all reserved in heaven.

So basically, I know it’s all going to be alright. I know I have a tough road ahead of me, but I don’t feel I’m facing it alone. I’m including some pics, to illustrate what’s going on etc.

And I also want to specifically thank my friends at Pirelli. They have all been wonderful. The poster they made of everyone wishing me well was incredible. The cards, the visits, the people that have lurked on the Wera BBS to follow me….I will write a thank you email to everyone at Pirelli as soon as I can. I want to thank Pirelli and my boss also. They are on my side in all of this; they are trying to keep a position open for me. Pirelli are matching all donations made to me by people at work; very cool of them. I dream of driving back to work and earning an honest wage again (with my blue sticker in the handicapped parking of course…).

Thanks again to everyone.
    Mark

My back: [​IMG]

My doctor showing me how screwed I am: [​IMG]

My parents.... [​IMG]

My reason for being [​IMG]

My thanks to everyone [​IMG]

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Mark, you're still an ugly, wonky toothed git.

9. MarkB

ok Dave - I challenge you to a "tooth-off"...my teeth, your teeth, any place, any time, any where....:p

....just not really up for a "leg-off", or a "stomach-off" right now....

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Look forward to it. And I look forward to your trying to kick my ass. :)

11. MarkB

...well if you can make it to my wedding......??? it would be an honor:up:

12. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Mark it's sad to hear the details of how you felt but it's also heartwarming to see how you are handling this obstacle in front of you.:up:

I met a young man last nite at my friend Johnnys, he's 19 years old & has been in a chair for 1 year. He was a wrestler in high school & had a scholorship to college when he had his accident. Seeing him & Johnny do the stuff they do, i'm sure you will take to this "next life" like a fish to water.

Remember just keep the positive attitude you have & that you have a huge support system here with us.:up:

If you need any additional inspiration check out JohnnyRagland.com

Hand cycling,basketball,tennis,water skiing & will be trying snow skiing this winter

13. krazy k

krazy k Member

Hey Mark,

I don't know what to say except God doesn't give you anymore than you can handle and never closes a door with out opening a window.

Just looking forward to seeing you in you the office again and waiting to hear "hello team"!!!

I have tears in my heart for you but know you will overcome any obstacle in your path. You not only have your parents and Sam, you have all of us here at work when you come back. Well most of us, you know how some of these bitches are. LOL :D

If you ever need anything from work or anything else... I'm you're girl!!! Would love to say "gotta go... taking this to Mark"!!! Let someone try and stop me!!!:moon:

Thougts and prayers.... and anything else you need!!!

Karen

14. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Can you get any good pie at the hospital?

Still thinkin about ya every day, buddy.

15. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Key Lime Pie is good:up:

16. gocr6

gocr6 i fall down....

same here, we are still thinking about you every day, buddy....

17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Keep Your chin up Mark, and I will continue to think of You every day.

18. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Wheelchair Pimp

Mark it gets easier with time the whole bowel and bladder issue sucks but once you and your Drs figure out your bodys schedule it makes life easy. You never know we may walk again especially with stem cell treatment to bad Bush wont pass a bill here but China does treatments that have been getting people their bowel and bladder back. I have a friend thats going over that is much worse then us he's in a sip and puff chair C-3-4. He's going to keep me informed on his progress.

Keep your spirits up man! Your only 3 weeks into this you still have alot of learning and work in front of you.

19. BAMA

BAMA Well-Known Member

Everyone's pulling for ya Mark! Keep you chin up:)
    Misty

20. Umbrella girl #1

Umbrella girl #1 Well-Known Member

I am really pulling for you and I know you Mark, you are a fighter and
    you will overcome this. On the lighter note, your girl Sam is really cute and
    if she needs any help keeping you in line, have her call us here in the
    WERA office, and we will send her a bat, and also instructions on how
    to use it. Love ya and thinking about you always........
    Emily

Last edited: May 21, 2007