MOTOAMERICA SUPERBIKES AT AT MONTEREY - July 7-9

Discussion in 'General' started by motodog650, Jul 4, 2023.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Respectfully, I disagree. There was a round bulletin published with photos of the spot. It was discussed at the rider's meeting. Timing and Scoring has an HD camera at the location, and I personally know someone who sits in timing and scoring staring at a camera all day long.

They are NOT winging it, the rules are clear and the same for everyone. I watched that race live and I immediately knew he was going to get a track limits penalty.

Yes there have been some close calls, but they always err on the side of the rulebook, can't argue with that. I agree, nothing is perfect, but painting it as some kind of amateur hour is not accurate IMO.

jd41, JJJerry, tophyr and 5 others like this.
  2. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

The track limits penalty was essentially not a penalty right? He finished 3rd and the 2 seconds didn't change his position. He had nothing for Cam and Josh that day. Take your podium and move on. The race I watched on Sunday, quite honestly nobody had anything for Cam B. He was riding around deciding when he was going to win.

5axis likes this.
  3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Jake actually crossed the line in 2nd, got demoted back to third and it was pretty close that he could have gone to 4th

418 likes this.
  4. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Who else got penalized for it? I find it hard to believe with no warning cross it once and you're done he was the only one all weekend.

5. Gino230

Several people had their laps invalidated during qualifying, in multiple classes.

How should the warnings work? How many do you get? I'll take a warning for my qualifying hot lap? I got pole and a warning? :Poke:

6. 418

418 Expert #59

I think you're nit picking now.

Qualiyfying is one thing, race distance is another. A two second penalty for an infraction that probably didn't result in any time gained at all but resulted in a loss of position is bullshit.

I think for race distance there should be a warning first, as there is in MotoGP.

7. Gino230

I hate to see races decided by race control, no matter what the infraction. So I get the frustration.

But seriously, asking how that could be made to work? Without making teams invest in some kind of crazy messaging electronics?

8. Skter505

A pit board should be easy enough for the teams to put T11 warn or something on. Give them one, give them 2 warnings doesn't matter but they should get at least one.

418 likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay, I get the track limit hatred but quite simply it IS a safety issue. The added pavement makes the track safer if a rider has an issue, they have more of a chance to slow it down before crashing or in a lot of cases save it and keep going.

That being said - you have now changed the entire angle and speed of the bikes in that corner by adding pavement - IF you allow them to use it all the time. So you add safety by adding more pavement and you keep it safe by not allowing it to be used except in an emergency.

The only way to keep it from being used all the time is to have a penalty for doing so and enforce that penalty.

This is only a defense of the limits stuff and not everything that is going on :D

gixxerboy55 and bpro like this.
  10. 418

418 Expert #59

I think Stanboli eluded to race communication to the team and then pitboard to rider. Not idiot proof but at that point there was an effort made, if you miss it that's on you.

Honeslty I don't think it's nessecary for all the classes but for primere class like the SBK class that's the way should be done.

And yes, not nessecarily all on Richards side but I do think race govening bodies are sticking their noses in to alter results is a slipperly slope.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Or they should just not go past where they know full well they can't go....

12. Skter505

Ideally but things happen, thats why even in GP people cross it and get warnings. I think Richard and Jakes point was they didn't know. If it was in fact happening all weekend they should have known I agree, that's why I asked if anyone else got busted.

418 likes this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

So take out the pavement.

They should know not to exceed the racing surface, after all…. :Poke:

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And again, more pavement makes it safer in emergencies. Removing safety measures is silly.

Look at it like air fence, it's there, it's fluffy, it's useful as hell when needed but you don't get to use is as a bounce house for fun.

15. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

You can say that again.

16. prm

prm Well-Known Member

They were all warned before the race apparently. How many ways do they need to say “don't go there”? If after the pre-race warning they did not enforce the 2-sec penalty that would be the more controversial occurrence. Going out there allows the rider to straighten the exit of the turn onto the main straight.

17. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

You are not wrong there. Those people are really weird.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Especially in the bay area

prm likes this.
  19. hayes131

hayes131 Well-Known Member

It was communicated clearly this year, and it was the same last year. How about just STAY ON THE DAMN TRACK! Why is THAT so hard for a professional? Why does everyone act like he didn’t know what would happen? I did…

Circacee, JJJerry, Gino230 and 15 others like this.
  20. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

:Pop::crackup:

Once a Wanker.. likes this.