The Electric Car Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 27, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Oh, make no mistake, Ford Credit took 15.9 billion, they repaid it with interest but they took the money.

BigBird likes this.
  2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Only because they were forced to.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Is that the place of the lighting storm that brought him? His birthday jut passed too.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

IMG_1428.png

5. lizard84

Sorry, Ford credit is still Ford.

While Ford was making noise about not taking federal bailout money, they and other major automakers (both foreign and domestic) got federal aid to the tune of tens of billions of dollars when the economy tanked in 2008.

Yesterday, the federal government released the names of companies and the amounts of loans handed out during the financial crisis of 2008 to keep loans flowing as credit dried up everywhere. A number of those companies were the lending arms of automakers.

Automotive blog Jalopnik broke down which automotive lending companies got the most help, and leading the way was Ford Credit, which borrowed $15.9 billion. GMAC, GM’s financing arm which provided auto loans beyond the GM family of vehicles, took $13.9 billion. BMW took $6.2 billion. Chrysler $4.9 billion and Toyota $4.6 billion.

The GM and Chrysler loans were completely separate from those two companies’ government-financed bankruptcies.

While the news and numbers aren’t earth shattering — funds to the automotive lending companies totaled just $57.9 billion out of $3.3 trillion in TARP funds — it could color Ford’s perception as the only Detroit-based company that didn’t need a federal handout during the economic crash.

That’s a perception the company has fueled itself, by making statements about how not taking a “bailout” has been beneficial to its recent resurgence. We realize the two transactions are quite different, and this loan was not a bailout.

But we wonder how the public will see it.”

Personally, I don’t give a shit I’ve got a Ford edge sitting downstairs.

6. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Is he on a Quest for the Grail?

Attached Files:

scottn and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

EVs are everywhere around south Texas, especially Teslas. The Tesla supercharger at Buc ees has a car there every time I drive by, even 5 am. That wasn’t happening this time last year. They’re coming!

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

As Starbucks increases, so will the Teslas

tony 340 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  9. lizard84

Sheetz will have a larger impact with its expanding supercharger network in rural America.

BigBird likes this.
  10. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Instead of worrying about the grid building up to support everything. Maybe they don't want to build it up. Maybe they're still mad that we didn't stay home the last time they told us to stay home. If we're all in battery cars, they can shut us down.

Then we'll all be on bicycles. Even Kenny.

11. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Troubled Asset Recovery Program - how do I sign up for some of that dough???

For some special people/businesses, TARP was a giant faucet with money pouring out of it....

12. Boman Forklift

I wonder how the Tesla lovers are going to react once the Fords and a few other brands start fueling up at “THEIR CHARGERS”? Agreements have already been signed by Ford and at least one other. I think it a great benefit to the owners of other brands, for Tesla owners, not so much.

My Tesla friends have told me when going to Vegas, they sometimes have to wait awhile for an empty charger. Since it takes so long to charge, if that happens often, it would drive me nuts.

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I think the amount of Starbucks per population is lower down here than the midwest.

BigBird likes this.
  14. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I saw a Tesla getting towed into a charging station Friday. The car was loaded backwards, and the driver was spinning all around trying to get close enough to the charger to plug it in. Just a recommendation to any tow truck drivers out there. When picking up a Tesla that needs a charge, makes sure to pick it up front end first.

15. lizard84

:D:p:D
    Sounds like west coast problems so I’m firmly in the IDGAF category, insert appropriate smiley here.

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

A lady was caught keying a Tesla, on certain models, if you touch a Tesla is starts recording the action.

BigBird likes this.
  17. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It's called Sentry mode. Eventually all cars will have it.

BigBird, Razr and Boman Forklift like this.
  18. Boman Forklift

I can honestly say during the great Covid recession, had my business not received some PPP money, I’m not sure I would have made it?

Yamaha music is one of my customers out here, and they had around 15 forklifts we would service. They closed for awhile and then they were only open 1 day a week, then 2, etc while scaling back up. Even now I think they are only using 5 lifts.

Business dropped everywhere, for me. I’m not at the office for exact percentages, but my business dropped sharply. Initially probably 80-90% as we navigated the laws and many places just shut down for awhile. 40-50% for probably 6 months, and while we are probably close to where we were in gross sales now, I have fewer mechanics and made up gross $ through increased new forklift sales. But that is much lower margin business, compared to service.

I had 3 mechanics leave, two sold their places, and went where it was cheaper to live and paid cash for a place. One to Alabama and the other to Texas. The third one was 70 and just decided it was time to wind down.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
    Rebel635, Once a Wanker.. and BigBird like this.
  19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

They don't want you driving anything so the grid will not be built up any time soon.
    In case folks haven't noticed, flying is being phased out also.
    Canceled flights are becoming the norm.

stickboy274 and 27 like this.
  20. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Talk about your Doom and gloomer's. jok.

backbone and stk0308 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.