1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need the beeb to talk me out of a Jeep Wrangler?

Discussion in 'General' started by acorn27, Sep 6, 2022.

1. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

things have changed since the 90s.
    I’m on my 4th 4 door Sahara since 2012.
    I’ve never had to add oil.
    I’ve never had anything resembling a death wobble.
    Interiors are much quieter than the older models (all of mine have/had soft top on summer and hard top in winter) and I don’t notice that much difference in interior sound between the soft top and hard top.
    I don’t know of any baggers that have blind spot detection, rear cross path detection, front and rear cameras, adaptive cruise control, ‘when needed’ all wheel drive, or any of the other modern conveniences that most mid-level SUVs enjoy.
    I’ll probably replace this one with another one. My monthly payment hasn’t increased since 2012 and all I ever do is exchange keys (no money down).

crashman and Pixelator like this.
  2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Sorry..can't help. I've got more cars than garage stalls to put them in at this point.

3. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

They are the same like potatoes and grapefruit are the same. My daughter has a stock 17' Sahara and it actually rides pretty good and is not noisy at all. I have a '93 with bigger tires and a lift. It is the exact opposite. We got it used but my daughters vehicle has actually increased in value by $5k since she bought it so that is a definite positive.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I get that it's a completely different beast. Cool vehicles, just not for me at this stage in life (basically, I'm an old bastard:D)

crashman likes this.
  5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

You already have a money pit Tacoma, you are looking at an even worse money pit Wrangler. You don't plan to do anything off-road that your Tacoma can't do every bit as well.
    If that's all the case, I would say ditch the Jeep idea and go with a different kind of third/weekend vehicle.

Unless you just flat want a Jeep. Just know the majority of above is the case. They are a money pit, they aren't comfortable, they don't ride well. But if you want a Jeep, you live with all that as part of the experience.

6. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

2019 Rubicon JL here. I live in Sedona, AZ for about half the year. Have a place in Cabo San Lucas and a little 1 bedroom in Beaver Creek CO. I'm constantly going between those places in the jeep. Do plenty of hiking, biking backpacking etc. with most of my gear always in the back of the jeep. My kids and I love the jeep for what we've been able to do in it and the places we've been. It's help create a ton of great bonding experiences.

That being said. So many things have broken on mine. Been through 3 rear axles because of a wiring harness issue, all latches on center console have broken, side mirrors rattle like crazy, rear defroster harness came undone, tailgate sags and is getting difficult to close. The pleather on center console has cracked badly. Since we do a lot of offroading we get death wobbles from hell, feels like the front wheels are about to fall off. (You'll have to stay on top of alignments) it's towing capabilities are a joke. Top speed comfortably is 80, above that it just feels unglued. I wouldn't want one as my only vehicle

I paid about $52 for it, now has 96k miles and carmax offered me 33k so I'm planning on taking that offer and waiting for a new 392 Rubicon. More good times ahead!!

Attached Files:

BigBird and socalrider like this.
  7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

He's already said the wife wants a jeep. He's getting a Jeep.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Get what she wants. Our fun starts when it dies in your driveway.

BigBird, 969, Dom17 and 1 other person like this.
  9. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

One of the most fun vehicles I've owned. Been dead reliable for me too. I drove it from STL to the Rubicon trail and did that with Jeep jamboree.

Wingnut likes this.
  10. Paddy O

Paddy O Well-Known Member

YouTube channel "Flying Wheels" has several recent videos on the Jeep market and falling prices.

11. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Probably an automatic too!

12. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

the 2000ish mexico built v6 engines had the ring lands lined up and would drink oil like crazy.

Sounds like you don't keep them long enough for the front end to loosen up and get death wobble it's a straight axle thing.
    it's a pain in the ass unless you just kitchen sink it and replace all moving items in the front end.

Like most cult followed vehicles ( jeep mini ect) either you get it and love them or not.

13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Golden Eagle. That's all.

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

This is the spitting image of the one I had. I think it was just before the Golden Eagle.

[​IMG]

Pixelator, Wingnut and r1owner like this.
  15. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

I usually run with no doors from May to October too. It's the longest I've owned a vehicle as well. I was amazed at what the damn thing is capable of and still be able to drive comfortably on the street.

Attached Files:

Pixelator and Wingnut like this.
  16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Jeezus... your post talked me out of ever owning a Jeep.

BigBird likes this.
  17. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

2014 here and have only broken one axle and that's because I used a cheap replacement. I've wheeled it pretty hard too. Pulled the axle out on the field and drove it home. I've never had to take it in to get anything fixed in 55K miles so far.

crashman likes this.
  18. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Not sure if you're into wheeling, but Jeep does have a pretty neat free program called "Badge of honor" where they pick trails and if you go on the trail and check in on their app, they'll send you a free badge indicating which trails you've done.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I love em and miss mine most every day.

Go with the JK 4 door, if you really will off road it go ahead and get the Rubicon. Yeah they're loud with the top down but never had an issue talking to people even in my 98. I do vote for working AC for when you're at lights and a bikini top for shade. I ran my 2001 with no doors and a safari bikini (longer so it would shade the dog in the back seat) for 8-9 months of every year. And that was a daily driver. The JK i didn't go topless too often sadly as it spent more time doing roadtrips with the boss - hence it turning into a Tahoe. I'll be back in a Jeep at some point.

r1owner likes this.
  20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

2-door
    6-cyl
    Sport S
    hard top

4-dr rides better, but, the 2-dr is like a go cart.

4-cyl turbo makes more bottom end, but, it’s a turbo. The 6-cyl is simple.

Sport S seems to be the best value. But, if you have any thoughts of 35”/37” tires and a lift, the Rubicon is a better value with taller suspension, high clearance flares, stronger axles, lower gears, lockers, etc.

Hard top is quieter, better with A/C turned on, and more secure. You can easily pop off the roof panels if you want more open air flow.

Death wobble is usually worn suspension/steering components and incorrect alignment. Worn track bar bushings will cause all sorts of oscillations to occur in the frontend and is common. Replace the front and rear bushings with urethane versions, from the start. The alignment needs maximum positive caster (adjustable upper bars are handy for this) and a tiny bit of toe out.

BigBird and acorn27 like this.