Electric Bikes?????

Discussion in 'General' started by Chris Smith, Jun 9, 2022.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Quick change battery packs, just like refueling. I think Fast Frank makes a quick change kit.

2. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

You obviously have never tried pedaling an ebike. I mountain bike one 4 days a week and there’s no fucking way I pedal it after the battery is dead. It’s like you’re in quicksand.

when the battery is charged it’s like you’re a trail billionaire. It’s more planted on the way down, I have my quickest downhill times on arguably the hardest trails in PNW and Canada on it vs my Santa Cruz nomad king travel. On the climbing trails it’s almost as fun flying up them in turbo mode.

3. Chain

Chain Well-Known Member

e-bikes make you feel like a god

4. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Only once did the battery die on mine.
    Peddling 65lbs or so with no assistance is fooked.
    I think it's all in how they're geared.
    Gearing is optimized to utilize the motors assistance, once it goes...push like a mofo and ya hardly get anywhere.
    I had to have my brother come get me once, 2 or 3 miles from home.....no fn way I could make it.
    The ebike was a gateway for me. Last time I rode a bike was 1991 or so.
    Now I can hop on it and easily cover 43/46 miles.
    It's liberating to be honest.

I could quite easily and confidently ride a 20lb road bike anywhere now.

5. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I wouldn't buy a Tesla because it won't nuke any gay whales, I'd buy it because it's genuinely a cool car from a technological standpoint. But, I live too far away from civilization for that to be a practical purchase.

Then there's the Stark Varg, which I did put down for as it looks like an interesting build with, like the Teslical, cool technology. If it has nearly the equivalent range of a 450 at full power/MXGP pace, that's more than enough for me. That, and being able to dial it down so the wife and kids can get along well without the worry of whiskey throttle, is a good selling point for bringing more people into the two-wheeled world. It's like silencers in the gun world; quiet guns are a lot more pleasing to shoot than unmuffled boom sticks - make more people willing to give it a shot, literally.

Gas engines will be around for a long time, but to deny that battery powered machines can't put a wrinkle in the works is just dumb. I'll have both in my garage and use them according to their abilities: quick trip in the morning to the local trailhead for 2 hours of work = Stark Varg. A weekend up north in BFE = gas powered moto madness.

SuddenBraking and cpettit like this.
  6. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Don`t think they will be as tunable; no individual power pulses. Plus, it takes a huge part of the experience away..engine building and tech.

But back to the first reason to not have them....we don`t need them.

7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Most people in the USA don't need any motorcycle. For 99.5% of motorcycle owners it is a toy, not vital transportation. For E-bikes I would bet the percentage that are used as someone's primary transportation is closer to 5%, so the "need" is actually greater.

cpettit likes this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

That’s a fun game! Can I make up some statistics too?

9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

By all means., please do.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  10. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Big picture for people that enjoy the sport; fucking sucks.

The others? don`t care.

11. Black89

24 miles in a third of the time it would take on an Amish bike.

Attached Files:

MyWayGuy, tony 340 and L8RSK8R like this.
  12. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Put a chainsaw engine on it and make that pos look slow! What`s your point? :crackup:

better yet, a wrf450!

Braaappp!

13. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

My Alta is so much fun that it's unfair. And I' a lifetime IC engine builder and racer. Try it once, the smile is hard to get rid of.

14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I think an e bicycle for the ride to work 5x days a week would be cool

Otherwise the point of the bike is exercise to me.....so I don't see a huge reason to shortcut that if it's my weekend only trail bike .

Obviously guys with ankle/knee issues absolutely go for it.

How much did that Trek set you back ?

15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

4 strokes are faster because they allowed double the displacement. IMO it was because of marketing not performance. A modern 2 stroke 1000cc with traction control, etc would be an epic beast.

Also mixed gas though there is solutions to that.

16. Black89

There are so many places that noise is an issue. Look at Jennings GP, laguna. Electric is so much quieter. The ride I did was ebike legal and motorized bikes are not allowed.

there’s a place for them.

17. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

that’s exactly what I want for stealth rides around my house. I hope someone else steps up and fills that void with a cool electric dirt bike.

18. zitoune

zitoune Active Member

cpettit likes this.
  19. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

$3650 I spent.
    3894 miles in 5 years.
    It's a gateway/pathway to actually getting on a bike again.
    I hadn't ridden a bike since 1991.
    I'd have no problem riding a regular bike to Nova Scotia. The eBike got me enthused and peddling...

20. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Good lord....:crackup:

Lets just go one step farther and eliminate all that annoying noise,, get rid of the electric too.

Just keep complying.