1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

What do you have against striker fire? If I was going to by something to your specs I would buy a Sig P229. It's exactly what you want. As far as CCW I know a few people that carry a full size 1911 and you would be hard pressed to notice.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I disagree.....I don't think a thug would figure out the squeeze-cocker, in a scuffle.

3. SpeedyE

I'm old-school in regards to the DA/SA....I like the revolver style trigger, on the first shot.
    I had a sig 229/40 and it was a nice gun, but the grip was too fat for my hand.
    1911 is a great gun, but I wouldn't feel comfortable w/ a cocked-and-locked gun.

4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

:up:

5. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

it's not a handgun but any of you clowns have a PWS rifle? looking at a MK216 or something similar (thing AK piston meets AR10/308 rifle). Never really saw too much about them but they seem to be very good quality and reliable. I have an LMT MRP now but looking at a 308 platform and the MWS is a bit heavy, would like to go lighter... and no, I dont' want a SCAR.

http://primaryweapons.com/firearms/mk2/

6. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Why would you not feel comfortable with a condition 3..... cocked and locked? In order for the weapon to fire, the thumb safety has to be disengaged, the grip safety has to be squeeze, and the trigger has to be pulled. Condition 3 is how the gun was meant to be carried.

7. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Hell, the XD's don't even have a manual safety, and I'd have no problems carrying one, with one trigger pull away from action. You'd seriously have to try to accidentally discharge one, in which case, it wouldn't be an accident. :D

8. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Not the issue. Your scenario where the cop is disarmed only to pull their "backup" and shoot the bad guy while he is trying to figure out how to operate your primary isn't realistic.
    Besides,
    It's not hard to figure out. You squeeze the grip and pull the trigger. Not a new concept by any means. In fact, the 1911 has 2 external safeties that could be seen as more complex.

What worries you about "cocked and locked"? You should be more worried about simpatheitc response when 3 fingers of your firing hand are "squeezing" a lever while your trigger finger is not.

9. wsmc 589

You mean condition 1 right?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  10. SpeedyE

When I shot ipsc/etc (recreational, I was not very good)....a couple times I forgot to thumb the safety off....I think under life/death stress, I would forget to take it off safety :eek:

11. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

See my XD post.

12. SpeedyE

I know....I think the XD is a fantastic gun, and Chuck Taylor even said quality wise, it is better than the Glock.
    I am just scared of striker-fired guns....I can't say anything bad about them, I just am uncomfortable w/ them.
    All of my experience with handguns was 1911's (recreational) and DA/SA's (CCW)..... I don't have any experience w/ strikers, so I am nervous to carry one.
    :eek:

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Nope. Condition 1 is cocked and locked with a round in the chamber (How I carry my EMP). Condition 3 is no round in the chamber.

14. wsmc 589

That's a training issue. A few thousand draws will fix that!:up:

15. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Uhh, brain fart....Condition 1 cocked and locked

16. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I'm not criticizing here, but if that happened, it would still be faster to just thumb down the safety (cond. 1) than to be in cond. 3 and have to thumb the safety and then rack the slide to chamber a round, then get on your target. Again, not being critical here...I've got a lot to learn about the 1911 platform....I'm getting my very first one this afternoon after I get off work.

17. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Yes. They are fucking awesome. Buy one. I believe sans optics or sights the MK216 is right around the 8 lb mark? Which for a 308 is pretty good. It's soft shooting as far as 308s go. I think the piston system has something to do with it. It's not a precision bolt action sniper gun but it's no AK either when it comes to accuracy. Think of it as a very accurate battle rifle.

18. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

thanks. They have a custom shop and will put a bartlein barrel and upgrade the trigger for me, figured I can have my cake and eat it too. Might take a while to actually get it in my hands but it looked like a very nice setup. anyone want to buy an FN SLP? :)

19. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

With the 1911, after some practice and plenty of dry fire, notching the safety off as you draw becomes second nature...almost a natural move and so easy. Once you get it in your hands, you will see what I mean. But like I said, practice your draw over and over (dry fire is not a problem with the 1911), deactivating the safety will come second nature.
    BTW...my grip safety is pinned as with my man paws and high grip I cannot consistently deactivate it, so I rely 100% with the thumb safety carrying condition 1. JMO

20. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

What kind of glass you looking to put on it? Sounds like a nice setup.