1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA/MOTOAMERICA Entry Level Class, KTM Cup

Discussion in 'General' started by SCHMITTY91, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing the official rules.

There were some exemptions for the Ducati 848, hoping to race one in SS!

I haven't gotten a response either, FWIW.

2. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Be cool to see you stepping up Gino!

3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Thanks JP. You planning on the same?

4. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Well it'd be either SB or SSTK since I've got a ZX-10. Might consider a 600 class but I'm not going to buy another bike just to try and run this series. I'll have to wait and see if I can borrow a 600 for a race. The bad part is simply qualifying won't be a cake walk, but at least I'll have a goal. The other issue is my knee...sitting at home after ACL surgery and while I'm definitely getting better it's taking way longer than I expected. Hopefully I can be fully fit(or close to it!) by March. Anyway, we all need goals right?!

5. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Just got back from Chuckwalla where I had no internet but had heard the news. Extremely excited for this. Thanks to MotoAmerica, KTM and everyone else who has been working on this for our kids. I cant thank you enough.

I'm not going to comment on age limits, electric bikes, 2 strokes or anything else because WTF? We have a class, a spec class for kids in the USA to run and show their talent. We have manufacturer support. We have what we have never had before and I'm never let down by peoples ability to find something negative about that. You think you can do it better? By all means write that check. As for me, I'll do whatever I can to support it and be at every race with my kid suited up and ready to run.

So the questions being asked at the track this weekend were good. I know most of them will be answered in the coming days/weeks.

When will KTM have the Cup bikes ready for us to buy?
    Will we be able to buy 2 cup bikes? 1 for the Series and 1 to practice on?
    Will the kids fall under normal testing rules or will they be able to ride as often as possible at any track?
    Will the kids who are still running novice licenses be able to go straight to Pro?
    Is this actually considered Pro or is it an Amateur support class?
    Do we take our chassis home with us and leave motors with KTM after the race weekend?

If my post makes no sense I'm a little spun out right now. Long 3 days at the track followed by an 11 hour drive home last night. Got home at 3am, unloaded and in bed at 4. Up at 7 and back to the shop. I'm not functioning anywhere near 100% right now.

6. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

sounds like all good questions to me.

7. ped

ped Banned

given the intent on the class hopefully they allow as much seat time on them as possible

8. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

off topic, but what did you think of the track/org at chuckwalla? i saw you and your son there but didnt feel like being a lurker and saying hi.

9. TrackStar

The only reason I ask that question is because the word "Pro" seems to help crack potential sponsors checkbooks open a little easier.

10. misterwaterfall

misterwaterfall squid status commence

Not being snotty: does it matter? I've seen local racers call winning the Sunday feature a "Pro Win" as there was money on the line and I didn't think much of it. I would think that being associated with MotoAmerica and racing the same series as the big dogs would be the same thing as calling it "Pro". I would also think the real over/under would be if it was shown on TV.

11. TrackStar

You should have come and said hi! I only look pissed off all the time, I was having a blast.

The kid had fun on the track, loved the layout. The bumps were an issue at first then I got the bike dialed in for it and got the right compound tire on and life was good. I was scrambling Saturday for setup because he actually could run a pace, Friday was a traffic jam and a waste of tires and fuel. He was within 1.5 seconds of the fastest lap in the Shootout. I was pretty happy with that considering thats the first time he had ever ridden a track other than Miller.

The org seemed easy to work with. Sunday was a challenge with the wind/dust but nothing they could do about it. As a new guy I questioned the call to continue racing but it worked out OK in the end. Everyone was very cool to talk to and welcomed us in. The trackday... we wont do another one. That was probably some of the most dangerous riding I have ever witnessed.

12. TrackStar

It does. One of our Corporate Sponsors has different levels depending if your Series is local, regional, National or Pro. The money difference between those levels is significant. Many big companies have that same setup when it comes to Sponsorship. This isnt Club racing anymore... People are going to be chasing real money to run this, not 15% off deals on Hookit.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I was already trying to sort out the classes for all the 300's anyway so yes we will have a place for it.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yet oddly a bunch of us who are negative about certain things tend to also be correct in the long run ;)

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

D doesn't allow 650's.

D SUPERSTOCK EXPERT & NOVICE and D SUPERBIKE EXPERT & NOVICE
    Up to 490cc water-cooled multis
    Up to 700cc 4-stroke water-cooled twins with 3 valves or less per cylinder
    Up to 600cc air-cooled multis & water cooled twins with more than 3 valves
    Up to 883cc 4-stroke air-cooled twins
    Up to 775cc singles based on Formula Rules in DSB, SB rules in DSS
    Up to 450cc 2-stroke water-cooled twins
    Up to 500cc 2-stroke air-cooled twins
    *The TZR250 is allowed in D Superbike only and must conform to Superstock rules with no limits on bodywork. The VF500 is allowed in D Superbike only with stock displacement.
    *There will be no bodywork or tire limitations in D Superstock. D Superstock bikes do not need to have DOT approval. FZR400’s may run 17” wheels.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

BTDT - it just changes the whining, nothing has ever eliminated it even a full tear down to nuts and bolts.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I sense a thinly-veiled reference to the saviors at DMG.
    I'm a pretty perceptive dude. I perceive things. :D

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Would I ever do something like that? :crackup:

I would like to point out that to date I'm not negative about anything MotoAmerica is doing including the age limit.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Your parents should have named you Arecibo Observatory 'cause you pick up all the shit! :D

20. misterwaterfall

misterwaterfall squid status commence

I get that it's a real series, just surprised that a label matters. I was thinking from an exposure standpoint hence the TV remark but if you're going to use results in advertising IE our product won such and such Pro championship then that makes sense.