1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your favorite curry?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Feb 23, 2019.

1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Thai green or masaman are my go to's

Riders Discount and Phl218 like this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Curry is great. Curry absolutely does not have to be hot to be a good curry. Something I am trying to teach the boss about more since I love all of them and she keeps thinking it's always yellow spicy stuff.

3. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

You seem to be a man who likes a Phaal. They're OK but once the afterburners have come on in the toilet the next day and you need a new set of rings it makes you wonder if it was worth it.

I'm with Stupid likes this.
  4. I eat spicy food so often that it doesn’t affect me. Always on fire :)

5. It needs to be hot. Otherwise a lot of them are too sweet. Can’t stsnd mild, sweet curry :Puke:

6. Pro tip - if the curry you ate was too hot, you can kill the fire with something yoghurt-based. This is why yoghurt Lassi is popular in India.

Steeltoe likes this.
  7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I think the sweet countering the heat is the basis of a good one. Hence the coconut milk being common with the peppers.

8. Yes, but the counter has to be there. Not enough spice makes for a bad curry.

9. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Worse thing you can do if the curry is too hot for your taste is to take a cold drink, it just spreads it all over your mouth.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope. Just because you've decided crispy taste buds is the way to go doesn't make it the right or only way :D

BTW - there is a difference between spice and heat...

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

we had indian last night. i ordered it hot (not indian hot) and the wife mild. of course they sent hers spicy as well. she just put some Raita (sp ?) in there and was fine.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

13. I learned to cook Asian from a Taiwanese Air Force Colonel who was a friend of my dad‘s. He would strafe your house for uttering such blasphemy:)

He set our kitchen on fire once.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not my fault you were taught by someone who can't appreciate the subtleties of spices :D

15. I'll take his native expertise on Asian cooking over yours anytime, despite his attempt to burn our house down :beer:

16. Indeed. Cold water or beer makes it worse. Hot tea or yoghurt drinks fixes it.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

I'm with Mongo on this one. My mentor in curry appreciation was a former boss, and happened to be half Thai and half Indian. He always made a point to the waitresses that medium, meant medium, and "Scorch" should lay off the heat when cooking his meal.

18. For those of you who aren't afraid of spices - here's one of my favorite Indonesian dishes (warning: wimps should not try this):

Telor Balado (Eggs in Spicy Red Sauce)

First, make a chili paste
    • 1/2 pound of the hottest chili peppers you can stand
    • 1 1/4 oz. each of shallots and garlic cloves
    Cut ingredients into small pieces, then grind using a mortar/pestle or blender into a paste. Mash the hardest ingredients (chili peppers) first, then add the rest. If it is too dry to make a paste, add a small amount of sesame oil to moisten. If you touch the paste with your fingers, do NOT touch your eyes or face!

Hard-boil 6 eggs, shell them, then deep-fry the hard-boiled eggs over medium heat for 3 minutes until golden brown.

Combine the chili paste with

• 1/2 teaspoon of salt
    • 3/4 cup diced tomatoes
    • 1 crushed lemongrass
    Heat 3 Tablespoons Sesame oil in a wok, stir-fry the chili paste mixture until it smells like victory, but don't burn it. Add
    • 1 Tablespoon lime juice
    • 1 Tablespoon sugar
    • 2 Tablespoons water
    Slightly cook until the sauce thickens. Add eggs, mix gently, and serve over rice.

This dish is absolutely delicious, and will keep you glued to the toilet for at least two days :)

19. The local Thai restaurant where I lived in TN bought 100 lbs of chilis to serve my needs.

Riders Discount likes this.
  20. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

You lost me at hard boiled eggs, although the sauce sounds good.