1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"You didn't build that!"

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Hooper, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I'm curious if that speech writer is still employed by the Obama camp. If BO should lose the election that speech could well be one of the turning points.

I know, taken in full context, that saying really is something a little different than it appears. However, on the surface it epitomizes the liberal philosophy, 'The government can do it/knows better than you. We just need to spend more (of your) money!'

I started thinking about this after listening to a (typically non-political) podcast where the host was talking about the jobs that he has created with his podcast network by simply being both smart and successful. He did bring up the 'You didn't build that' theme (as they also did repeatedly during the RNC).

I just wonder if that simple phrase will come to haunt BO in November.

2. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

I'd venture to say Barry was ad libbing there, but one never knows for sure....

3. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

I'd say taken in full context it's still stupid. If you put your ass on the line to build a successful business then you did build that. I love how you would never see the government want to take credit for a failed business but by god if your makin money they're sure as shit standing there with their hand out reminding you how you couldnt have done that by yourself. :rolleyes:

4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

In making those remarks, he was repeating something Elizabeth Warren had said in a speech. Its not a new concept among progressives, its been around a long, long time.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Been around for quite a while and yeah, heard it before but, baring his spewing something even stupider it could be what loses him the election.

Yes, it was that big of a mistake.

6. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Not for those of us who understood what he meant and the reality of it...

No man is an island. Except for Darren, maybe...:D

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It's as much the way it was said as what was said. The arrogance that came through from a man who, from what I can figure, hasn't built much of anything was the worst part.

8. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

I understand what you mean as a political strategist would. I don't see the arrogance you speak of but the sentence is indeed very easy to turn against him.

Not sure it's to the level of a Bush I "Read my lips. No new taxes" though.

9. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

At this point, fingers crossed.

Tired of the current track record, and just don't see it getting any better on this path.

10. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

But Dude, the Touch Downs and Cheerleader Pussy are just around the corner, just over that next hill, just stick with him another 4yrs and you will see...just like the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, You'll See, Just You Wait...:D

11. wot-75

wot-75 Well-Known Member

Then why didn't he just say that?

12. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

I don't believe Barry has met Darren......

[Edit]Adding :D just in case it wasn't obvious..

13. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

I don't know, but I know that I've worked all holiday weekend to prepare for meetings this week. It's 10pm and I've been in the office since 9am. So my question is, if I'm not building this company myself where the hell is everyone else??

14. wot-75

wot-75 Well-Known Member

Darren's not living on an island..he and I have conducted business before. I think he fully understands that living in society presents opportunities he would not otherwise have. I don't think there is a business owner anywhere who would discredit this point.

Obama should have said that instead of trying to make people feel guilt for their successes in life.. asserting that they owe someone else for that. People create societies, not government.. although governments also serve a vital role on any successful society.

15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Like say, China, N Korea, Cuba?

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Cross your fingers, your toes and your legs but don't be shocked when he's reelected. The press loves him and spin everything he does from shit to Shinola. Short of something epicly stupid, Forward to Obamaism. :D

Then he'll win an Oscar.

17. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Didn't he already win an Oscar for a movie role that he would like to play in the future? Or am I thinking of something else?

18. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Psst...it's a joke, big guy. I'm the "rugged individualist" that threatens tz's drum circle Utopian dreams. :D

19. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

Yep I can see it now Romney, the New Pres, Setting us up for the Bust out :crackup: I don't trust either of the two but Romeny..... Obama care was Romeny care, when he was running for Gov of Mass he was pro choice and he's pro life, he claims he wasn't a active figure at bain but reaps the tax bennies of one who had. Both fools are tossing huge lies at each other. Then after all is done, they want us to believe, after the election they are going to go back and NOW tell the truth be honest and be forth right. Fuck both of em.

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I actually find it quite interesting how certain comments drive certain individuals.

My wife will not vote for Romney simply because she thinks Ann Romney is a condecending bitch due to some of her comments....that's all it took for her.

On the other hand, I hung out with my best friend all weekend working on dirtbikes. He is hardcore Republican. When I pulled up to his house yesterday, I saw a chair in his front yard. Seems that yesterday was "put an empty chair in your yard" day (who knew?!). The whole time we are working on bikes he kept yapping at me...."you didn't build that..yuk, yuk yuk".

The media claims that this election will be decided by the undecideds. I have yet to meet one.