1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yeti cuts ties to NRA

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by noeyes, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Harley does the same thing. Oh wait. :D

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Not sure how you can do the latter without the former, but good on you for sticking to your guns (pun fully intended).

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So wait - losing customers is a good marketing decision? Or is it good as long as it's within some limit you have in your head? Or is it good if they lose some but gain a few others - even if that is fewer customers overall than they had prior?

5. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Looks like there might be more to this story. According to Yeti, they did not sever ties with the NRA Foundation, etc. They claim to have simply ceased an older discount program that included a number of organizations - that the NRA was but one of them. They claim that they are still involved with the NRA Foundation. The NRA has been asked for further clarification and has as of yet not produced anything. It's "possible" that there is some over-reaction and that Yeti hasn't really done anything wrong. It's also possible that they're back pedaling. Only time will tell.

6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Everything is a net decision. If they gain more than they lost, then it was a “good” marketing decision.

You of all people should know that you can’t please everyone :rolleyes:

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Serious question - how many anti gun people do you think will now be ponying up for a Yeti cooler who would not before? Just a wild guess is fine. Because the real number of shooters and hunters who have been supporting them for years is huge.

I can't imagine a reality where the gains will offset the losses. Not even close. There aren't enough of the gun haters out there who weren't already going to buy Yeti stuff to offset the numbers of gun lovers who they will alienate.

Yes, firing customers needs to happen when an individual repeatedly takes you away from working for the majority. Even I've never fired entire groups of loyal supportive customers. To put it in racing terms, they just outlawed 600cc inline fours...

dtalbott likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My gut is some young marketing genius thought they'd jump on the anti guns bandwagon and someone older and wiser who knows their customer base told them to fix that shit :D

9. ton

ton Arf!

i haven't the faintest idea on the statistics, but i'm not a hunter/fisherman and don't live that side of their business. however, i do know they've been marketing super hard in the outdoor adventure segment. the REI crowd, if you will.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And those people are already customers. As are the shooting types. Nuking the shooters as customers will not get the REI crowd that are already customers to buy more. So the question is will it draw in enough brand new never heard of you anti gun people to offset the Bass Pro customers?

11. ton

ton Arf!

my gut agrees with your assessment. the hunting and fishing buying power is huge.

Hawk518 likes this.
  12. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

That's cool. It's a win either way. The message needs to be delivered loud and clear that Americans are tired of SJW bullshit and we have played nice for too long.

sheepofblue likes this.
  13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Possible this is not a lie but even then they are guilty of stupid timing.

14. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Don’t think it’s a win if it turns out to be untrue. It makes 2A supporters look unhinged and undermines the message.

JBraun and badmoon692008 like this.
  15. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

16. jase

jase Your kind makes me sick!!

I got a Yeti.

Attached Files:

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That looks like a pre-NRA divorce Yeti. How can you live with yourself?

18. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

You do realize that red state is every bit as biased as the HuffPost right? I’m really starting to think that this whole yeti thing is a bs fight made up by the nra to get people angry. If that’s the case it sure backfired on me. We don’t know yet but the nra claims are starting to smell on this one - and I’m an nra member.

19. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Yeti's are standard equipment on Pipeline ROW.
    And, if you know pipeliners...

Interesting to see how the relationship moves forward given opposing opinions.

Personally, I never got the big deal. But Yeti's were always the sought after ticket in our giveaways.

20. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

That part is easy. Lol

Never too vested on a product or idea that requires membership or payment. :)