1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another "getting to the track" post.

Discussion in 'General' started by Ghamilton, Feb 16, 2010.

1. TheJames

TheJames Feelin lucky?

2. paunchy

paunchy Well-Known Member

Yeah I've been eyeing those things and they look pretty sweet. My only concern is whether they have enough payload length for a bike. The only spec I could find suggested there was only 74" of capacity and that's cutting it pretty close.

3. desmo

desmo Well-Known Member

A local guy bought an old ambulance and made it into a track hauler on the cheap, reminds me of Animal House....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Ghamilton

Ghamilton Well-Known Member

Well AAA totaled the van. $8400 worth of damage. They'll let me know sometime this week how much I'll get. Blue book is $6,800. I hope to get 5k and am looking at stuff based on that. Pretty much ruled out a pickup truck. I really like them, but I like my stuff out of the elements more. Looked at some GMC cargo vans today without having a salesman swoop down on me. The mileage for the V6 looks really good to me. Enough that I can foresee using it for my daily driver. Anybody have any knowledge of how these are?
    Almost had another Aerostar just like my first race van. Missed it by one day. A 1986 4cyl, 5 speed manual cargo van with 73,000 miles on it for $1300. I got 25mpg in the city and could push it to 31mpg on the highway going to races if I used premium. Gas was $.60 per then. An extra 8 or 9 cents more for premium.
    Ford Transit Connect? Too small, and living in the "D" I couldn't bring myself to buy a truck built in Turkey.
    Also found a 2008 Ford Econoline just like the one that was totaled for $20k that would be handy for family stuff, but would not be as good as the GMC as a daily driver. Decisions, decisions.
    More later.

Gordon Hamilton
    Current AHRMA Racer
    Former WERA Racer (on a Kawasaki GpZ 305 no less)

5. Ghamilton

Great article. If they do start making it here I will definitely look into one. Right now I need something that will handle an 80" nose to tail, (MuZ Skorpion) and 88" nose to tail light (Ducati 900ss) with room for my "pit crew" to be comfy on the long drives.

Gordon

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

So you think the Transit will no longer be too small if assembled in the US? I had Focus wagon, and have no interest in another one with a taller box slapped on it for $5K more. At your $5K budget I'd look for an E350 with the 5.4 or the V10, better yet spend 10K on a used Sprinter.

7. Ghamilton

Hi Tristan. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. My budget isn't 5K. That's just what I was hoping to get from AAA. They called today and said $3,722. Not what I was hoping for, but they go by what the market is, not bluebook. As to thinking that the transit will be bigger if made here, I was thinking more as a backup for solo runs to races without Kathy and using it for everyday driving. With the passenger seat removed, there would probably be enough room for one bike that wouldn't fit between the seats. I will more than likely get another full size van as it was the most comfortable long distance vehicle I have ever had and it's nice to be able to get just about anything into it. Got my eye on a 2008 Econoline just like what I had. Just have to make up my mind.

Gordon

8. Ghamilton

AAA upped the amount to $6300. Things are looking better.

Gordon

9. Tristan

Cool. Have I mentioned the SPRINTER ??? :D

10. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

so your focus wagon could haul a bike? you're missing gordie's point about not wanting to buy a ford that's built in turkey for personal reasons.

i think the transit is pretty cool for a lot of business uses around town, etc. and could double as an efficient way to get a bike to the track.

on the road though, our econoline club wagon with a 5.4 got 17-18mpg. drive 85-90 like pops though and your'e in 15mpg territory. curious to know what a transit would get with a bike + gear rolling 80....

i've got a super pimpn '89 dodge B250 conversion van with your name all over it gordie....velour interior...nice sounds....ooooh that custom conversion van paint. so plush.

11. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

A 7.3 excursion and a 16x7 trailer?

12. Tristan

My Focus wagon could haul 2 bikes (on a trailer) and still get better mileage than the Transit with one bike inside, and get a LOT better mileage when not towing. I understand not wanting a Turkish-built Ford, I wasn't crazy about mine being Mexican-built. Gordon probably isn't interested in a rebadged Mercedes either (Sprinter). So I guess his best bet is an E350 PSD. Pretty cheap and plentiful these days and IMO the next best thing to a Sprinter.

13. Ghamilton

Kevin. The pimpmobile sounds great. You and Pops would look great going down the road in that. Too bad it says Dodge on the side. I'm toying with trying to go super-scotsman/el-cheapo for awhile and writing it up for the forum. I've been looking at this:
    http://www.tandrtrailer.com/different/index/page/yuppie/ this,

http://www.toyboxcarrier.com/motorcycletrailers.html#Sport_Bike_Carrier

and this:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/1616448406.html

Winter sucks. Too much time to think and not warm enough to do stuff.

Gordon

14. Tristan

That '62 Ford is pretty cool.

15. Ghamilton

Went and looked at the '62 on Wednesday. Motor ran great. Could hardly hear it running. Unfortunately due to the amount of rust holes in the body, it would be impossible to drive it in the rain and not get soaking wet. If I was looking for a project this would have been the one. Right now I need something to transport bikes and at least be a winter vehicle. That said, I'm going to look at a '98 Econoline 15 passenger van with 50,000 miles on it tomorrow. Plenty of room for anything and would get me through the winters somewhat safely. Anyone have experience with the big Ford? Maintenance issues, idiosyncrasies, Fuel mileage etc.

Gordon

16. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

You can get a decent trailer for $300 from Harbor Freight and its folable

17. Ghamilton

I'm hip to cheap trailers out there, but I really don't like my bike and whatever I take to be out in the elements, whether it's on the way to the races, or at the races. Not to mention overnights at motels on the way to the races. Miller is a real hike and I did it solo a couple of years back. I made it to Kearny NE and crashed at the Motel6 with all my gear in the old van and didn't worry about theft too much. Couldn't do that with an open trailer. I've been doing this since '85 and this is the first time I've been without a van available and I don't like the feeling at all.

Gordon

18. Ghamilton

Update

Well, haven't purchased another race transporter yet. The Church van was a little beat up but would work well for a race transporter.However, it got less than an enthusiastic review from my pit crew. Decided to give the 4cyl Ranger a test and put a hitch on it, rented a 5x8 enclosed uhaul and went out to Grattan to help out with the Team Chicago School. Surprisingly, on the way there it did fairly well. I knew it would take longer to get there and left in plenty of time. It maintained 60mph without too much trouble, but you knew when there was any type of uphill on the e-way. Stopped to top up the tank at the Lowell exit, did the math and had gotten 20mpg all highway. After the school got rained out, I went to look at that diesel F250 up in Greenville. That's where the Ranger had some difficulties. Towing the trailer, it did not do well on the hills at all. I could not venture down south with this set-up. For now it will suffice, but I gots do get me a van.

Gordon

p.s. The Ranger has a manual trans. Didn't use 5th at all.

19. Ghamilton

Finally got a van. 2000 GMC extended cargo van. High miles but the owner has taken excellent care of it and it should serve me well for at least the next few years. Picking it up next week sometime.

Gordie