1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another "getting to the track" post.

Discussion in 'General' started by Ghamilton, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Ghamilton

Ghamilton Well-Known Member

Got a call from my daughter today saying that she was in an accident on the way to work with my 2001 Econoline. Someone decided to turn left in front of her. If she hadn't seen what was transpiring and sped up, one or both of them would have been seriously injured. No one was hurt, but the van may well be totaled by the insurance company. Now with no transport for bikes, I have to decide whether to get another van, or go with the pickup with the trailer.
    I have done both in the past and can't decide right now what to do. I'm leaning toward the PU and maybe getting a slide in camper and either buying a small enclosed trailer or renting a u-haul when I need to. Anyone got any input? I'm not really thinking straight right now.

Gordon

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Sprinter

3. bj

bj Well-Known Member

I've been real happy with my Astro van the last couple of seasons. It's a 2 wheel drive model and gets mid to low 20s mpg on the highway. Two CB350s fit in it with no problem but I don't know about bigger bikes.

4. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Hi Gordon,
    I like my F150 with a capper for all the gear and the bikes on a trailer. If I were doing it again, I would look at an extended cab so I had a little more interior room.
    See you at Road America?

Ken

5. HOOCH

HOOCH Well-Known Member

Go with a mega cab and through a chip on her and get 22-24 all day with all the power in the world, ive seen some get the taller toppers and you can easily fit two full sized bikes in the bed and still keep them covered!

6. matd

matd This aint no party.

I've decided to go ultralight this season.

2WD Tacoma no frills.
    Cap.
    Rail trailer.

100mph to the track and home. No pee stops, we don't need gas yet!!!

7. Goldie

Goldie Well-Known Member

El Camino!!!!!! Get the Kawi Green color!

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Crew Cab and a 3 rail trailer!

9. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

+1. I've been rolling that setup for 4 years. Be sure to add helper springs or you'll be wheelying to the track.:up:

10. matd

matd This aint no party.

Thanks. I was wondering about those.:up:

11. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I'm thinking a minivan with a hitch. You can take the back seats out and lay a futon mattress down to sleep on, to save on hotels. And you can store a freaking ton of gear inside for the trip to the track. Get a cheap trailer just for the bike(s) and you're all set.

12. desmo

desmo Well-Known Member

For purely using it as a track transport I haven't seen many things better than a Sprinter. I am jealous of the guys who have them, I have a P/U and small trailer, would be nice to have a secure place though as well as a nice place to sleep...tents get old after a while and the main track we run here doesn't have much for facilities nearby.

13. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

sprinter. buy mine, its for sale in the classifieds. perfect bike hauler, super mpg, then lay a big mattress or futon in the back to sleep.

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

or an Isuzu box truck. Seems those are going for $3-5K with ~100k miles.
    Chevy engine/trans. Gets ~18mpg on the highway.

15. Ghamilton

Ghamilton Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info everyone. Ken, I won't be at RA. The whole family will be in the UK visiting relatives and generally enjoying another side of life.
    I just came across this. What do you guys think? Good fun/deal or a money pit? http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/ctd/1591394614.html

Gordon

16. milroyjr

milroyjr Flatlander

That's a nice truck, but no cab. 4 doors are the way to go. I've had a 2 door ranger reg cab, Dakota extended cab, and now a ram 1500 4 door. I would suggest a 4 door for sure. You can haul more, and sleep in the cab nicely as long as your not over 6ft tall. All depends on how much traveling you are going to do really.

17. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

That is a pretty nice truck if you don't care about the extra space. I've had two of those 7.3 powerstrokes and they are tough as nails and make tons of power!

18. Zephyr

Zephyr Tank Killer

Hope the OP wont mind me asking a question but...

Do you have the 8ft. rear length model? I'm looking at an astro van but the rear cargo area is only 6ft. somethingoranother.... Wondering if a bike would fit ok in the 6ft version.

19. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

20. cycleguy1

cycleguy1 Well-Known Member

you probably won't find a better priced diesel in that good of shape again! if that is what you are looking for GO FOR IT! good engine,stick shift,around22 mpg on the highway, pull anything you want to,where's the downside?