1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yard tool advice

Discussion in 'General' started by zx6rfool, Apr 21, 2017.

1. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Picking beeb knowledge/opinions

Needs:
    Chainsaw
    Weed wacker
    Mower

For, some light trees (>20') and yard (1/2 acre) mostly shaded where the back does not grow as fast so I am tempted to buy a craigs list push for this year and rider for next if necessary.

What push mowers can take abuse and with a little TLC brought back to good condition, what should I avoid?

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Chaotic is the ultimate yard Tool.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

How large a lot?

We have Stihl Kombi for the weedeater, hedger, edger. They make a good chain saw as well.

cpettit likes this.
  4. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

If your budget allows, the Stihl electric stuff is pretty bad ass and will do everything you need.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

My advice...hire one good tool and let him buy the equipment to bring with him.

auminer, badmoon692008 and TLR67 like this.
  6. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Stihl
    Stihl
    Honda

7. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Anything with a new Briggs and Stratton is going to be a POS. However, they're quite easy to work on... that or I've gotten very good at it. I'm rebuilding something on the stupid thing several times a year. :mad:

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Stihl for the light stuff. Push mower...I bought a Craftsman with a Honda engine over 10 years ago. I leave it in the shed over the winter (a couple of times I don't think it made it to the shed) and come spring all I do is put more gas in it and pull the cord three times. After that it's first pull all season. I've never changed the oil, air filter or spark plug. It's just my trim mower but it can't be killed even though I 've tried my damndest.

JamesC459 likes this.
  9. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Stihl is having a pretty significant sale right now. At least in my area.

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Are you cuttin' the trees down?

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

This.....in the last year I purchased 3 Stihl items and a Honda lawn mower.

12. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Thanks all.
    Found out the in laws had purchased a Troy Bilt self propelled with a Honda engine about 7 years back and then the next week hired a lawn service. Thing had never even had gas in it. All I need is a bag as the mice in their shed made that in to Swiss cheese. I put gas in it and the first pull it fired up, so Im set for a mower until I decide Im really lazy and want to ride.

I will start looking for a Stihl electric, it will be light work, the largest tree I plan to tackle myself is only 20' tall with a 1' base.

13. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Chainsaw - for what you need a homeowner grade stihl or husky
    Weedeater- get a 2 stroke stihl
    Mower - Honda push mower. We literally found one on the corner someone was throwing out and put a plug in and it worked great. Gave it to my friend who is still using it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  14. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I went in to buy a Stihl 2 stroke weed eater and came out with the electric one. Does everything I need around a small house fine. Just have to get used to the sound of it and not care that it looks like you are a toddler with your toy weed eater trying to be like dad.

Only thing is I can't figure out how in the hell to reload the string and there is nothing about it in the manual or online

15. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I've had good luck with both Stihl and Husqvarna

16. EngineNoO9

Should be like almost every weed eater out there. Unscrew, wrap that crap around, feed through holes, screw back on.

17. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Use good fuel. I cannot stress this enough. Pump gas today kills small engines if it sits too long.

18. EngineNoO9

For a riding mower get any old mower. Basically everything cheap is MTD and for your size yard it won't really matter much. Probably find a half decent used one on Craigslist.

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

gas mixed with OJ

more precisely:
    The three ways to make napalm: One, you can mix equal parts of gasoline and frozen orange juice concentrate. Two, you can mix equal parts of gasoline and diet cola. Three, you can dissolve crumbled cat litter in gasoline until the mixture is thick.

20. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

My 15+ year old John Deere weed eater (from Lowes/Home depot) is just about dead. Lowes has a Husqvarna 128Ld for $199 and I'll probably go with that. If I can get half the life of what I got from the JD, I'll be happy.

On a side note, the Toro push mower I bought from Lowes/Home Depot at about the same time still starts on one or two pulls and it still has the OEM spark plug and I don't think I've ever changed the oil (just added when needed).