1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yard tool advice

Discussion in 'General' started by zx6rfool, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Similar lot size at you. I picked up an Echo CS-310 a few years back. Found a deal on Black and Decker 18V weedeater/blower/2 battery combo. Works great for what little I have to trim. Bought a Cub Cadet LT1042 back around 2006 and it's still going. Started out with a cheap push mower, but I got lazy. Another handy thing is a pressure washer. Great for cleaning deck, sidewalk, driveway, I even bought a foam wand and wash the cars, dirtbike, and RZR with it.

2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Bought the 128LD a few years ago, love it. Have virtually all the attachments (edger, trimmer, brush clearer, pole saw, and tiller).

OP, the 128D with the pole saw attachment should be more than sufficient for your trimming/chainsaw needs.

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm currently using the 106 mix leftover from Road A last year for my yard tools:D

4. SuddenBraking

Stabil is cheap as shit - I put it in every fresh mix of two stroke I make. Cheap insurance from ethanol gumming everything up.

V5 Racer and Murcielago311 like this.
  5. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I was reading some reviews and was getting a feeling that it might not be a good piece of equipment. However, your review makes me feel better about it.

I also just remembered that there is a Stihl dealer in my town and they have something similar (same price) for sale so I might go that route and support the local guy.

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

7. SuddenBraking

If you're looking at the 128D, decide how much you're looking for out of your powerhead - they make a 2XXD that is about twice the power if you're going to be doing some serious work with it. That being said, the only time the engine has bogged down on me has been when I've been trying to till some heavy, wet soil. For my purposes (1 acre), it's the perfect little powerhead.

8. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Figured it out. Stihl is selling 3 packs of wound up spools and trying to get people to buy those instead of line, so they don't have any reloading instructions. I just needed to see how they were packaged up and it made sense. I can see how a lot of people would just buy a spool and stick it on there rather than going reloading it yourself. The white plastic thing threw me off
    Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 1.35.07 PM.png

9. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Interesting. How much they charging for that crap?

10. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

$20 . Kinda makes me mad that eventually that plastic ring will break

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's a mower...not a bush hog. It's meant to take the top third of a 6 inch tall blade off. Not pulverize 10 inch tall fescue.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

try sharpening the blade.

13. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

What he said.
    Though I have a Honda string trimmer that is quiet (4s) and has run forever.
    Replaced the carb after letting it sit with ethanol pump gas over the Winter. I now only run ethanol free gas that I can get from a few stations (Citgo and Liberty) locally at the pump. Carb was a Chinese knock off for $20 off eBay instead of something like $80 for the Honda piece. Could not tell the difference side by side and so far it has been flawless for 5 years since.
    That said my son-in-law has a 2s Stihl string trimmer and when he comes over to help with the trimming prefers to bring his rather than use mine.

I had a McCulloch chainsaw that was not too durable. It cracked the case when I threw it against a tree. POS. :crackup:
    I had two Echo chainsaws. Definitely not as nice as a Stihl though thieves like them as both were stolen out of the back of my truck. :rolleyes:
    My Stihl Farm Boss 18" has been awesome for a decade at least. I don't leave it in my truck bed.....
    I have heard Honda mowers rock. Plus you can buy one from a motorcycle shop and support the sport.

14. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Depends on the grass variety.

Mowing down two inches of Floratam as opposed to fescue are going to yield different results.

15. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Echo/Stihl/Shindaiwa

The Echo SRM series of weedeaters are bulletproof. I don't like their blowers, however.

16. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Before the end of summer we will have Aspen 93 octane fuel in both 4 stroke and premixed 2 stroke in North Texas. Looking to add more regions soon.