1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yamaha-deegan-cheated-at-loretta-it-looks-very-suspicious

Discussion in 'General' started by 5axis, Aug 11, 2022.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That’s a good way to develop a speech impediment.

skidooboy likes this.
  2. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

3. ITACUD

ITACUD Active Member

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No one said the Deegan kid isn't capable of winning on any other bike. He can. This is about the reaction to the claim and the mafia tactics used against a 17 year old kid who was doing nothing but using the rule book as it was written.

So blah...blah...blah...everyone but the kid and the AMA sucks...particularly Yamaha.

backbone, Quicktoy, brex and 2 others like this.
  5. Agree. I was trying to explain the politics involved, we’ve seen it in road racing as well. Overall I’m very impressed with the way the AMA (according to the statements made in both sides) how they handled this. They enforced the rules as they should have been. I just don’t think we’ve heard much of this stuff out in the open the way this is, plus Deegan is in a huge spotlight and sure Yamaha has a lot invested in him. They had the arrogance to bring a pretty well kitted bike for what I assume is to get more seat time on it and I’m sure the rule never even crossed their mind. Someone challenged them and they flexed their muscle until they got what they wanted. This has happened overseas with certain manufactures and series sponsors with certain rules, protests, etc. Some teams get torn down “randomly” and protested by riders that have no business protesting with the exception of their sponsor putting pressure on them to (know a few first hand incidents of this and it’s laughable knowing bikes are 100% legal).
    You don’t touch the wife of a Yamaha bosses feet is the lesson here :)
    And I did send the kid $250USD to help fund some of his “revised” program with a note saying “don’t let the man bring you down”

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

I thought I was making big changes when I added one round of rebound in the front. :crackup:

7. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I've read and listened to quite a bit of this because it is interesting to me. As with every story there are three sides- what the first person says happened, what the second person says happened and then what actually happened. Barring there being video or audio, it's always up for interpretation as to what happened.

My best guess and seem to be born out by most of the perceived facts- Schofield claimed the bike. AMA did what they needed to do. He had some discussions with the Deegans and MX Sports and left. Matt Walker got involved somehow. The kids Canadian sponsor (Rallye Motoplex) was there and heard about it. I am 90% sure that the Canadian sponsor/Yamaha dealer talked to the kid and said, "you can't do this, if you do I'm pulling all of your sponsorship and here is what will happen to you". Kid thought about and went back and told AMA he was withdrawing his claim.

As the Yamaha US guy said, the chances of them putting pressure on the Canadian dealer (directly) in a few hours on a Friday night are pretty slim. BUT I'm sure that the local dealer was aware of the shit storm about to hit them and told him to drop it.

Either way it sucks for Schofield. As I said before, Star got caught with their hands in the cookie jar and pulled out the stops to try to keep it from happening. The local dealer/sponsor for the kid was the only one that hasn't said anything except "we have not been contacted by Yamaha USA or Yamaha Canada about this situation".

FYI the instagram video from Pingree and Langston is great. Both of these guys get it and have zero f's about the industry. I know GL isn't a big fan of MX Sports and AMA so I'm sure he was happy to point out some issues (I do have issue with him saying the AMA didn't help, as they were the only ones so far that most have said did what they were supposed to (except maybe letting Cotter and Deegan talk to him alone)).

8. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

If Deegan races this year it’s all BS. He has a minimum one year penalty from racing. Anything less than that and he’s cheating every time he throws a leg over a bike in a race.

turner38 likes this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What did I miss? :confused:

10. Venom51

The passing of what ever he is smoking as it went by...

Boman Forklift and HPPT like this.
  11. I’m so slow
    spot on. I’m sure there were other Yamaha folks there as well and the dealer is not stupid. Obviously if the dealer (not sure “who” from the dealer” came all the way from where they live, supports the kid quite well seems he knows the political game. What makes it worse is it’s a Yamaha on Yamaha crime :)
    Two other take aways from this. Stay the f out of business that isn’t yours. Matt Walker and the engine guy both seem to add a shit ton of fuel to the fire. Neither of them had the kids interests in mind (my conclusion from listening to them) but were doing it for their own vested interest. Walker was protecting his image and business and the engine guy, regardless what he says would’ve had the bike on the dyno, on YouTube then tore it apart and probably put that on social media with some “hidden stuff” of secrets he thinks he stole. Listening to the guy I’d have wanted to punch him on general principle as he doesn’t seem to STFU.
    The last and most important question. Not one single person was threatened with a 3’ screw driver. WTF is the world of 2 wheeled Motorsports coming to?

Gino230 likes this.
  12. Based on what? Hard to prove where he as a rider made any violation. Fine the team? Far fetched but maybe. The kid withdrew the claim voluntarily, they didn’t not give up the bike with the claim still valid. Not saying someone (well multiple people) doesn’t deserve a good cunt punch but year suspension or any penalty is very far fetched.

13. Venom51

If by "voluntarily" you mean a Yamaha backed hitman standing behind him with a career support ending gun to his head then yes...he "voluntarily" withdrew the claim.

14. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

You are all assuming someone put some unobtanium stuff in the motor because some kid goes fast on it. The claiming rule is a good thing in amateur racing.
    This is the problem when adults get involved and it would be different if the kid was 12 but he is 17 so don’t act like he is a little boy.
    Oh and by the way I have claimed parts from Yamaha and they had no issues handing them to me while I watched them being removed.

15. Venom51

May have been nothing special about the bike at all. That's not the point. The kid used the rule as it is written in the book and the supposed adults all threw a hissy fit about him using it. His actual age is irrelevant. They should have either handed over the bike or took their DQ and went home. Anything else was unacceptable.

16. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

you know when "they" get together. Ski

17. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

technically the kid removed his claim on the bike but, was "persuaded" by the riders reps. by the ama rule, refusal to give up said claimed bike, is a 1 year license forfeiture.

did they refuse? no. did they make it like they were refusing by getting everyone else to "persuade" the claiming kid... absofriggenlutely. so, I see where that thought process comes to mind. your results may vary. Ski

Boman Forklift and MELK-MAN like this.
  18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Since the kid didn't get the bike, lost his sponsors, and is apparently a pariah who may not get any new sponsors, I'd say someone did get cunt punched. I'm just surprised that you're so okay with the outcome.
    The person who did the right thing was punished to the degree that his head might as well be on a pike at the gate as a warning to others who might think about claiming. And the guys who did the wrong thing carried the day with no loss that will affect their racing program.

To an outsider like myself it just all seems so wrong.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  19. I never once said I was ok with the outcome, f&ck I threw the kid $250. I was explaining the behind the scenes politics and potential backlash of doing something like this and said multiple times the kid should have been coached on the potential repercussions. It doesn’t matter if we all think it’s right or wrong it’s the reality, this was extreme but it’s still the reality.

20. Trust me, I’m 100% with you on the principle here but it comes down to a lot of opinions and hearsay and the fact is they did to what the AMA told them to do. It can also easily be stated that the ones persuading the kid were not employees of Star Yamaha. Do I feel punishment is warranted here? Damn right I do. Will it happen? $50 to the AFF says no.