1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

www.operationbrokenjoe.com

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 50Joe, Sep 10, 2013.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

WooHoo. I am mobile now! Hand controls were installed in the Mazda on Monday and it is awesome to have that indepence back.

Therapy is going OK but no new revelations yet. The skin graft over my wound looks to still be healing OK but we see the surgeon again in two days.

Thanks to all my fellow riders I will have about 3.5 weeks at Project Walk covered. Once the doc gives me the go ahead I will be planning on my first 2 week stint.

2. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

WooT!! That's great Joe!

The rehab will help with the personal independence for sure on top of the vehiclular independence.

3. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

Awesome Joe!!!

4. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

That's some good news Joe!

We're still finalizing funds coming in. And, in case I haven't already shared this with you, the KX that started all this raffle stuff off was won by Lance Yeager. Lance donated the bike back and I put it up for auction last week. New owner won't take possession for a little while until we can iron out details to meet. Couple additional items sold so we were able to put a little more cash into the Joe Account. I went to the bank today and handed the teller a stuffed bank bag with 2490.75 in it. Was kind of funny cause it was mostly small bills. On what we're still waiting for, combined with what is in your bank account and what I need to withdraw from Paypal... we should be in the 6200.00 range.

I'm happy you've taken the reins and got yourself into the seat of a vehicle. Although, with hand control driving, it may be kind of tough to give some well deserved knot-head the bird :cool:

5. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Randy,
    That is incredible. Between your efforts and other racer contributions it is enough for about 3 or 4 weeks at Project Walk. While I am progressing it is really slow. I'm hoping Project Walk accelerates the improvement. I can't thank everyone enough. :bow:

I saw that about Lance. Very generous of him too. (I still remember the two awesome races we had together at Barber back when he had a FZ600)

6. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Great news Joe! On the road again! :up:

Guys like Randy are few and far between.....bravo for your efforts sir. :rock: It is truly one of the most selfless things I have ever seen. It speaks volumes.:bow:

7. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Just got back from the wound surgeon a few hours ago. Another good report. However, he cautions I'm still looking at a few months before it is completely healed. He did give me the go ahead to be able to work that leg a bit more aggressively.

I did drive home yesterday afternoon with the top down in the car. Perfect day for it and I caught some rays while driving. The Mazda MX-5 definitely isn't the ideal car for a paraplegic but it is already paid for and I like it so I might as well and try to adapt to it.

8. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Randy enough can't be sadi about your and Susan's efforts. First class in my book and an asset to the racing community.

From all of us Thank you for being you man. Really.

Ok you never heard that from me :D

First shake downs are always fun! Glad you are Mobile Joe. First catching rays then next catching some winks from the ladies. Wait please tell me the Mazda is Red right?? The van wasn't a better choice? Too tall or what?

9. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

The Mazda is silver like my van was (less ticket chance). I still feel strange parking it in a handicapped parking spot. I've already gotten a few surprised looks when they see me pull a wheelchair out of it.

10. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

that was A quick transition- i am sure it is great to drive your miayta- I would like some details as to how it all works- pretty cool stuff.

11. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Hey Joe. I have been noticing something that makes me very happy. You have been mixing it up more and more on the forum! So cool to see you there, and with you being a champ, I take what you say very seriously!!!

12. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

yea Joe Joe......I been thinking about starting the F-1 up and maybe seeing if she runs....but it just won't be the same without you nipping at my ass....just thinking.......

13. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Another milestone. I haven't taken a pain pill since Friday (day 4 now)! I want one but I also want to test myself because that stuff just isn't good for you long term. This is the first time I have gone more than 1 day without taking a pain pill.

In physical therapy yesterday I saw both of my legs move slightly. It was in a low friction setting but I saw them. I gotta believe it is something to build off of. I never strained so hard in my life to get such little movement but I'll take it.

I now try to bring each knee up to my chest each morning before I get out of bed as part of my exercises. I can't do it yet without help from my arms but it does feel like they are pulling and I'm not using 100% arm strength. I can definitely see my quad muscles flexing. Or, I should say what is left of my quad muscles. The leg muscles have shrunk big time over 5 months.

Gaining weight is still a bitch. I'm still only at about 130 lbs. Doing a protein drink, protein bars, meat with almost every meal, eggs, etc.

Energy level is still limited. I run out of steam in the early evening. This is what I hope comes back next because then I'll be able to push harder and exercise more often.

14. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Buff,
    The linkage is all mechanical, pretty simple actually and the car can still be driven normally if need be. I now have a handle just to the left of the steering wheel. Rock it back for throttle or push it forward for brake.

Morris,
    Yea, I'm a bit more aware and willing to post opinions lately. Not sure why but it's all good.

Doug,
    Nipping at your wheels, not ass. ;) :D :eek:
    The RZ looks a bit lonely. It was all prepped for RRR and never made it out on the track. At least it is spotless. :up:

I do wonder how my 421 engine would stand up to your F-1. It is significantly faster than the OEM stuff I previously ran.

15. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

All great news and progress Joe. Make sure in addition to Protein you are getting good carbs too. Complex carbs.

Keep up the good work Joe.

Ya know Joe that RZ would probably love to be out at Tally :D

16. rwood64083

He's right Joe, the bike should be out and exercised. But wow would it look pitiful with a moat around the air intake :D

(still not getting old :crackup: )

17. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Haaaaa!!! No way. On Joe's bike I'd be like a factory rider. Aint like it needs any tweeking. I know it would be juuuuust right.

18. rwood64083

You are too fat!

19. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Well ya got me there lol

20. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

You hang on to those beautiful rides Joe. You gonna get back on one someday!