1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working past depression

Discussion in 'General' started by drop, Feb 2, 2012.

1. RickJohnson#29

RickJohnson#29 Well-Known Member

That should do it. Always cheers me up! :up:
    Winter blues will pass soon but go talk to a professional.

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

A lot of great feedback in here, including the one quoted above.

I know other people mean well but depression is much more than being in a down/crappy mood. A simple ride won't amount to much when one feels they've reached rock bottom in their life.

So with that said, I just wanted to add, that throwing a leg over ANY motorcycle, right now, might NOT be a good idea, not until you're genuinely feeling better (through self help) OR after having sought professional help first.

I know with 25+yrs of street riding under my belt, any one of us can make a poor decision that could lead to a serious injury or worse. Feeling the way you are right now most definitely will increase those odds, so my advice would be to take a small break from riding til you sort things out.

At risk of losing my super studly 'MAN' card, reading 99.99999% of the WERA members 'caring' replies, damn nearly made my eyes gloss over.
    Well done folks. :up:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  3. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Guys,

I'm impressed. :up:

First, the positive responses to this, of all topics. This isn't something I've seen discussed so openly. I'm seriously impressed that so many offered constructive feedback.

Second, it seems like there's a number of us that have been in a dark place once or twice. That's good to know for when one of us gets there again - you're not alone.

Things that have helped me during those times:

1. Get your ass out of bed every day. Make yourself go through the motions. If nothing else, it takes your mind off it for a little while.
    2. Exercise and/or stay active. Any activity you can do to get your endorphins going is going to help. It sucks, especially on those really tough days, but you always feel better after.
    3. Be Social. Get together with other people. Don't spend too much time isolated and alone. And try to avoid alcohol while being social, just for a little while until the clouds lift.
    4. Eat right. Its easy to eat junk when you're down. Which only makes you feel worse and less motivated.
    5. Get outside. Sunlight helps. True Story.
    6. Find something to laugh at. Movies, Youtube, this place... Anything to incite a feeling associated with happiness. You'll feel better.

Doctors and therapists may help. Pills may help. But, they're not always there when you need them. Its kinda up to you, really. And, its consistently applying the little things that will get you through it. I hope some of this helps.

4. cannonballcobb

cannonballcobb Registered Offender

Yup, and I recently saw where Terry Bradshaw suffers from depression as well. Just goes to show, you're not alone.

5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Definitely not.

A guy I know and really look up to has struggled with this for years. Smart, confident, strong dude. He just gets funked every now and then. Successful businessman, athlete and everything in between.

6. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Suxks that you are headed into that hole.

Staying active can help work through it.
    Make a list of tasks and work through them, keeping your mind and body occupied will help keep your mind from dwelling on what is bothering you.

I also find that increasing my protein intake with a body-building type supplement helps. adding 50-100 grams of protein a day to your diet should help.

And if home remedy stuff like posted here doesn't help, go see someone. Don't let it fester.

7. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Well frst off, thanks for opening up about what's going on in your life. It's not easy to admit being depressed or talking about it.

Real depression is a strange deal for sure. I've got a real comfortable life, like I stepped in a lucky pile of dog shit somewhere. Had good parents, good family growing up. Got married to a rock solid beauty, have a bunch of great kids and money is always in the bank. But for whatever reasons depression keeps coming back. It's like slow moving waves crashing onto the beach for me and nothing seems to get me out of it, Nothing seems to "trigger" it but every few years I find myself in the deep end and unable to get out and don't want to get out. I have been suicidal in the past but haven't had a real contemplation in years.

I've never been on any medication-ever but have had to put little goals just to keep me trucking along sometimes.

Wish you well!!

8. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

Sometimes, a pshychiatrist will prescribe some mild meds to take the edge off until he / she has had time to work with you a bit and find the root of the problem.

Depression is not like being pissed off or sad about something in particular. It has different effects on different people and you will usually find that it runs in the family. You can go to bed one night and feel fine and then the next day, everything seems to weigh heavy on your mind and you feel kind of helpless.

Its not that you are just having a bad day, as it can hit you when you are having the greatest day possible. For most, its a chemical imbalance that is the root cause but a doctor is required to determine exactly what direction to take you in.

Sure, trauma, drama and anxiety in your life can trigger depression but that doesn't always have to be the case. Its easy for most to confuse depression with the way you might feel immediately following a traumatic event in your life but for most people, that feeling is temporary until your graymatter has time to put things into perspective.

With depression, it can take things that are normally in perspective and throw it into kaos. Friggin' weird feeling and condition for sure.

9. jerseygirl

jerseygirl Active Member

I would like to applaud many of you for your answers. As a long time lurker, I am pleasantly surprised by much of what you all have to say. I have suffered from depression and anxiety in the past. I have to agree with the comment above. I actually raced during a rough time in my life. Luckily the worst that happened was I blew through the 3-10 split at Loudon (not hurting anyone or myself). It was quite a wake up call though. There is a lot of time to think on a bike and not being focused can be disasterous.

Good for you for talking about it. I have found that exercising has really kept everything under control. And talking about it like everyone else has said. In the past, I have drank herbal teas and pretty much everything to try and control it. After much consideration, talking with my Dr, and support from my family and freinds, I ended up taking medication to help things. Luckily in the past few years, I have been feeling much better and don't have to take my medication anymore. Good luck with it all and it sounds like you have a good sounding board here with this thread.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This post brings back memories of going racing during a time when I was feeling depressed. It also happened at Loudon. It was actually my first race weekend. I remember going into it thinking that it didn't matter much if I didn't make it out of there alive. I wasn't suicidal, not even close to it, but I wasn't happy with my life and felt that it wouldn't be a huge loss if it ended in a wall. I quickly snapped out of it when practice started. Didn't feel lousy again until I got up to go to work on Monday.

Anyway, things got better when I made some big changes in my life, including leaving my job.

11. GM GIXXER

GM GIXXER Well-Known Member

Hang in there man, it is REALLY hard sometimes, I know.. I suffer with depression too. Winter is the worst, maybe too much time to "think".
    I did seek help from my doctor, he was really helpful even though not a psychiatrist or anything. I probably would not have gone (who knows what would have happened if I would not have gone???) but this was taking it's toll on my marriage and with my daughter. Was really hard on them too. Don't know if you are married..

The feeling of depression does SUCK. As my wife calls it I would go into a "funk" where all i want to do is sleep and be left alone. I knew that I was depressed but could not do a fucking thing about it. I didn't want to do anything. I had to work and was miserable.

I wish you the best, get yourself some help to get you thru this. It can get better.

12. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Just remember that dealing with depression doesn't make you a weak person. A quick internet search showed that 20 million people deal with depression in America. Your brain needs certain chemicals just like your body needs certain nutrients. Medicine will help your brain produce these chemicals, ie. serotonin. People need to realize that depression isn't just feeling "sad" or "down". It's a major disorder that affects your whole life and sometimes meds are needed. Good luck!

13. drop

drop Well-Known Member

thank you all so much for the suggestions and not bashing me. ill take the higher road out on primo1, and just leave that be. Im going out to work on the toyhauler a bit, and then the bike a bit.

These walls just keep creeping down on top of me, and i keep doing everything i can to keep myself dug out. Im trying with all my might to win, and i know that i will, and i can. Its just sometimes hard to really beleive that. It also helps to know that im not alone in this situation.

Thanks guys... Means alot..

14. cannonballcobb

Anytime drop, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would welcome a pm from you anytime, if you ever need to talk.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'm with Cobb.

PM him. :D

Just don't do anything stupid, like buy a Maserati and start dating a 19 yr old waifer-thin Eastern European woman. :up:

16. cannonballcobb

Hey, I don't have a Maserati?!

:D

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I know a guy... ;)

18. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Someone close to me has this feeling a lot and a good short term solution we've found is to change the environment; painting a room a different color, getting a couch cover, changing the shower curtain, little stuff that helps put you in control and eases the helpless feelings.

Best of luck!

19. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

You know, it makes sense if you think about it. How do you follow that up?

"Yeah man, rode on the biggest rocket made to the moon last week, then walked around for a bit. Talk about a kick-ass, m'fing ride, wow. For this week I'm gonna...?".

20. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

He should take up motorcycle racing... :D