1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working past depression

Discussion in 'General' started by drop, Feb 2, 2012.

1. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Many props to the bbs for some great advice. As others have said, more exercise, eating right, and finding a new hobby are three great things to try. Just remember that life is beautiful and worth living, even though it may not seem like it right now...you will find it eventually. You have a good community here to support you whenever you need it.

2. charles

charles The Transporter

Depression could be suppressed anger...who isn't pissed off about something these days? good advice here, not much for me to add...just get into a heavy physical conditioning routine, eat right, get enough sleep...and, find some assholes to beat the shit out of...you'll feel much better immediately.:up:

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I think the punching bag identified himself a page or so back :D

4. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Never been really depressed but if I'm stressing out and need to figure some things out I grab the dog, head to the boat and sail somewhere so I can be alone to think.....sometimes for days at a time. It's amazing how much you can figure out and how the stress melts away when you're alone on the water in the middle of nowhere with a good dog!

5. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Don't know much about "clinical" depression, even what that really is. I find that when I'm in a funk it's usually because I've allowed myself to be come overwhelmed with things. I fall back, pick one (or two at most) things and work the hell out of it until it's perfect. Don't go overboard with this like trying to restore a car...just take a smaller project where there can be some pride of accomplishment. When it's done, seek praise and celebrate...that's good for the ego.

6. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Ill just say this, I am NOT the type, nor never have been the type to end it. Thats the easy way out. I do know im stronger than that.

7. primo

primo Well-Known Member

I strongly want to apologize to Drop or anyone that I hurt buy my comment. It was a joke and I know sometimes my jokes can be a little rough, I guess it's due to my military upbringing. OK, Mongo you can nuke me now.

8. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Fantastic! Thanks!

9. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

My mother was a therapist/ counselor for 30 years. I feel like I know your pain.
    Call me anytime if you want. Matt Blashfield.

10. trancework

trancework It's always now...

11. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

I commend you for coming back and apologizing for your previous comment. And yet, fuck off. I can only hope that you would be affected if someone actually took that advice after you offered it, jokingly or not. And for someone who is actually contemplating it, that kind of comment could very well be the trigger to set the wheels in motion.

I don't post often, and have seen your bullshit for some time now and just written it off that you're an asshole like many other people out there. That was over the line. I hope I get to meet you in person one day. You and I will have a little heart to heart.

12. forceten

forceten Well-Known Member

Work out - go to the gym. May not solve your problems, but its gets ya out of the house and the exercise will help your mind out a bit.

And whatever you do - if your feeling depressed, keep talking to people about it. Friends, family, the wera peeps/. Just don't keep it to yourself. it can lead to darker and darker places if you don't let others help ya like I think all of wera is doing right now.

If you don't have enough people - go pay somebody and have them help ya. Read some good books - go work on your bike, keep your mind busy and active so you don't have time to be depressed. Hell go get a part time job someplace doing something fun to keep ya distracted.

13. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Haven't ridden fast lately, have you?

14. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Best words ever. Bottom line is we're all human and have experienced it at one time or another.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Ya had me right up to that part.

If you're distracting yourself to keep yourself from being depressed, you've got some issue(s) you're not dealing with.

Ignoring them is not going to make them go away, or make them any easier to deal with when you inevitably have to.

16. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

We can all encourage you via the beeb but ya gotta go see a professional to understand yourself what you are dealing with.
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight" (Japanese proverb)
    I've fallen down umpteen times and keep standing up but that ain't dealing with any issues I have. I just keep pluggin away, making the same mistakes.
    I lay in bed for 3 days recently after returning from 5 week vacation...depressed?? I think so (drinking heavily while on the trip didn't help)
    Make a change in scenery, people around you may be bringing you down or actions on your part may subconsciously affecting your mental state. There may be repressed childhood shite that you're now willing to address.
    Your initial post leads me to believe you are ready to work this out, speaking here is a great start.
    Get that trailer finished and head West, I've a room here for ya....ride Willow Springs/Chuckwalla/Laguna Seca.
    P.S Hope this ain't nuttin to do with me not selling you that Penske shock :D

17. RickJohnson#29

RickJohnson#29 Well-Known Member

Good advice guys! Are we in the twilight zone? This isn't the bbs I know. lol

18. studio819

studio819 Well-Known Member

There is some very good advice here in this thread. I've always been more of the "keep you mind busy" type in order to deal with it and I have for years. The off season is when it really has a tendency to creep back up on me. Honestly, the day by day approach and remembering that we don't have any guarantees about waking up tomorrow so make the best of what you have now is something that I can hope helps you. Medication did nothing at all for me and talking to a professional helped some times but often made me reopen a wound and I am unfortunately, one of those that analyzes things to the point of going nuts.

Everytime you get out of bed, everytime you take a shower and get dressed, everytime you hop in the car to even run an errand you are fighting it and giving yourself back a bit more of your own life. Set a goal and write it down on a few post it notes to stick around the house, even if the note say "Go buy a cheeseburger at someplace you haven't before" (yes, I do that).

19. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I'd say some type of depression is a result of feeling inadequate for NOT achieving goals which are/were neither reasonable or attainable.

20. studio819

studio819 Well-Known Member

The cheeseburger is attainable