1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working on one of the most exotic cars on earth today.

Discussion in 'General' started by cortezmachine, Feb 3, 2021.

1. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

There are lots of reasons for NDA's, only one nefarious one of which you mention.

As for someone buying a used supercar . . . I think the appropriate term is caveat emptor.

Cheers,

Dave

ducnut and BigBird like this.
  2. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

What fraud?
    You are not legally required to disclose anything that happened with the car while you own it besides legal things like title work. Total loss/salvage can only happen when insurance is involved...

BigBird likes this.
  3. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Pretty easy to see why the employer wouldn't want the pics and such on the internet. That didn't take long to go from 0 to 60.

4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Over here, that's called a hidden vice and you are legally obligated to disclose them.

5. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Agreed. But it's not the employer that requested the NDA, it's the client.

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Legal or not, it's a shitty thing to do.

TurboBlew, Rebel635, dobr24 and 2 others like this.
  7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

What if the owner of the car wasn't driving it when it got damaged?

8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I feel like that's lawyers territory.
    If the car is repaired properly and to standards, whats the vice?
    Its not much different then just re-spraying a paint job, or replacing panels from rust.

9. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

So why not be honest and tell the future buyer that.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

i've seen brand new super cars (300k+) with the sticker on them at the body shop getting fixed. i doubt the dealer is telling the future buyer it's been repaired.

ducnut likes this.
  11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I have a buddy that works on some real exotics. Gull wings, a GTO or two (the $40M Italian ones) and crazy shit that is classic p0rn in a shop that you'd think builds tractors.

"Hey man, how is it? Cool?"
    "They ain't mine and I get paid well. Who cares anymore?"

He drive a 308, a shitted up bronco and rides a Hayabusa. :crackup:

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Lots of these cars get damaged on the way here from Europe. My new Ferrari was damaged on the driver's door. The Ferrari port facility in NJ did a crap job repainting the damage. It took me a year in and out of a shop to get it right.

BigBird likes this.
  13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The shop my buddy works at fixes those after the half assed first "attempts". He's back logged.

Miracle your motor didn't get blowed up from the ship to your dealer. He fixes more then a few of those. ;)

motion likes this.
  14. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

One thing missed in all of this is that the owner was actually DRIVING the thing...kudos to him for not putting in a case inside of a case in a warehouse.

Unless he rented out a track and took everybody’s phone pictures of this thing will eventually show up on Vinwiki, Jalopnik, wrecked exotics...somewhere. That car draws attention.

BigBird likes this.
  15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

A brand new car is different. Here, if a new car sustains a certain amount of damage before it's sold, the dealer has to disclose it. I believe it was anything over 10%, but that was a few years ago.

16. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Since the pics were deleted, help me out and tell me what car we are talking about

17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

[​IMG]

He was fixing the cop shocks...

Sabre699 and cortezmachine like this.
  18. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I guess no one realizes how many cars are repaired when they arrive at the ports and are never reported. I know of some $150k Mercedes that had the rear quarters completely replaced.

19. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

From what one of my customers says, who is a very exotic car collector, (think James Bonds 1964 Aston Martin DB5 movie car driven by Sean Connery in Goldfinger and Thunderball) he is very much about getting exactly what he is expecting and the lineage and repairs of a vehicle are an important part of said transaction.

I feel hiding work, even if it improves upon the original construction, is detrimental to the car being original which will affect the value of the car. Why does an all original GT500 cost so much more than a rebuilt one? Cause it's original. Matching numbers the whole shebang. Not to mention that it seems slimy, no matter who does it.

His garage was in Car and Driver a few years ago. This is just a smattering of his amazing collection.

[​IMG]

The car in the middle is the most amazing piece I have ever laid eyes upon and I have a couple of other customers with much more valuable cars.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/20...es-best-of-show-at-arizona-concours-delegance

stk0308, Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  20. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Point deduction for using the "wrong" blues-mobile...

[​IMG]

Anyhow, question regarding the supercar. Once you got it apart, were the bits that the customer can't normally see as cool and bespoke as the visible components? Always curious about that. With Koenigsegg at least, from what I've seen on a few documentaries, the answer seems to be "yes", but true in this case?