1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Women's March

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SPL170db, Jan 21, 2017.

1. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I'm starting a protest. Not sure what about yet but I'm starting one. Who's with me

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh. Call Buck. He will protest to the utmost of protestivity.

3. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I work for a global company that has mostly women in the top positions. Everyone that I ask about their employment says the same.

Thanks for coming through with some actual discrimination cases. Does this concern you? Is this evidence of widespread discrimination like these cat farming drama queens marching are claiming? In a nation of 350 million, I would think if we had a real problem with discrimination there would be more than 10 cases in 10 years. Thoughts?

4. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

1) I know they are. I stated as much. Still not unequal under FMLA. The very fact that you were required to use it proves my point. Employers "may" require the use of other types of paid leave. But they can't do so for only one gender. IF they do, it's across the board. Not what you originally stated ... equal.
    2) It's a medical condition taking them off work. It's not the law being unequal or being applied differently. It's a medical necessity. If a spouse is on bed rest, a man may well qualify to take off 4 weeks prior to the birth as well to care for a family member.
    3) Mostly Incorrect. Some companies may well provide additional leave. That is not FMLA or inequality in the law.
    4) That is the "key employee" stipulation. That is not, however, what you specifically referenced in the post I quoted. All employees on FML are only guaranteed a comparable position, not necessarily "their" job.

You made the claim from the get-go that FMLA was unequal. It isn't. You trying to twist scenarios/policies that aren't FMLA doesn't make your assertion correct. It's really that simple.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

For what it's worth, my company has 20 VP+ level executives and one woman among them.

Apologies if I didn't preface the link posted above correctly; that was simply the wiki page of "notable" discrimination cases. There were 67,314 discrimination cases filed in 2016 according to the EEOC (link below). Of those, 26,929 were filed on the basis of gender. I can't find the % breakdown by gender (after a cursory search), but I imagine most would concede that the overwhelming majority of those were filed by females.

https://www1.eeoc.gov/eeoc/statistics/enforcement/state_16.cfm

Yes. I have a wife, two sisters, two daughters, a niece (just born on December 23rd, a real cutie) and a mother so women's issues/rights are relatively important to me. That being said, I'm not naive enough to plan on changing anyone's mind on the Internet - I just do my best to make sure there's as much factual information available as possible.

blkduc likes this.
  6. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Keep in mind ... filed cases do NOT necessarily = discrimination. It means nothing more than an allegation. You can sue someone for anything you want. Doesn't mean it's legit or even realistic. Some definitely are, but FAR from all.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

And, conversely, many are that are not filed. Are we where we need to be? Probably not. However, it is far more equal now than ever and in some instances the tide has turned the other way.Equal is, BTW, impossible. Fairly is a much more reasonable goal.

Funkm05 likes this.
  8. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I don't think we have any women in executive positions where I work or at our HQ in Germany. Actually, I think the highest ranking woman here is a fresh out of college engineer. We do business on every continent and have 800 or so employees world wide so I don't know about our other offices.

9. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

My last company, which is global, passed over the most qualified male (IMO) for a female in naming the divisional President. A 3 year marketing manager vs 25 engineering manager. This is a engineering consulting firm for developing oilfields.

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Who was making all of the sammiches while these gals were marching???

That's a lot of hungry dudes left behind.

11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

In addition to what Dart said above, it goes to how they are treated when they get there. I have talked to women in powerful executive positions and know some of the crap they have to put up with. They get criticized for not wearing heals, then they get criticized when they can't keep up when they are wearing them. I would like to see how fast some of those old codgers can walk in a set of 3" heals and a pencil skirt. OK not really, but hopefully you get the point.

This very forum and the things said about Hillary Clinton's and Michele Obama's appearance to belittle them and that somehow their appearance makes them unfit is a wonderful example of that sort of thinking still being alive: Oh, she wears pant suits so she must be a worthless piece of crap. Oh she is carrying around a extra 10 pounds so she can't even take care of herself, how is she going to run a country / business / be a good example of whatever. There is plenty of stuff out there you can use to attack Hillary Clinton, so there is no need to resort to talking about how a nearly 70 year old woman looks or who she might or might not sleep with. I really don't want to know or even think about who any 65+ year old person is "sleeping" with.

HPPT and SuddenBraking like this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Why two? Can't all you hens gather around one to watch "The View"? :D

Paige likes this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

So you work for (and support) a company that doesn't measure pass the "diversity" smell test.

Who's the problem here? :Poke:

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Did you see the marchers?

If any sammiches were made, they were consumed. ;)

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

It should never strive to be "equal". Business does not exist to satisfy BS diversity quotas.

Hire the best person to do the job they are tasked with. End of discussion. :moon:

crashman likes this.
  16. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

I don't agree with the statement or the comparison - but there is a luxury tax on products that soak up the monthly sin reminder. We should be making them out of old denim and corn husks like our depression era grandmothers!

17. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Psst ... that's called equal treatment. It's not like DJT got made fun for appearance at all. Nor was he grilled over who he may/may not have slept with. None of it had anything to do with either' ability to be President.

18. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

For whatever it's worth, I think a fair amount of the gripes the women's march highlighted are completely legit

What I question is what they want done about it, and why they think the government has the authority or obligation to remedy the issue.

Boardroom discrimination was brought up. What's the government going to do about that without taking over the boardroom?

19. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

They named a moth after Trump because it has yellow hair and small genitals but yeah, only women have to endure being judged on appearance.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

There are probably at least as as many men as women that get passed over.