1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Women's March

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SPL170db, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

In practice, both sexes are provided FMLA, however, how much they get is certainly not equal to this day.

[​IMG]

Let me expand on this, so that I'm not just seen as joking... Here are some key provisions of FMLA.

1. An employer may require the employee to take all accrued paid days BEFORE FMLA kicks in - so they may (or may not, depending on who you are) require an employee to take all of their accrued vacation time. There's potential for inequality, right off the bat.
    2. A female employee may elect to take the last 4 weeks of her pregnancy out of office, while male counterparts are required to work until the actual birth of the child (or, obviously, if there are complications necessitating "caregiver" status). Another potential inequality.
    3. How much time companies elect to offer is up to them, with 12 weeks being the minimum. So, beyond 12 weeks, as much inequality as one might want.
    4. "Key employees" - those seen as critical to the business, will not be released, but might not be guaranteed their exact position. The only guarantee is "something comparable". Another potential for inequality.

Its not quite so black and white. Generally speaking, women get more time off and men get better guarantees that their job will be there when they get back. The trade off is also usually represented in pay and sometimes status within the organization.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  2. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Cite please.

3. Lawn Dart

See #4 in my post above. In practice, it is common for women to be overlooked for certain key positions in companies for fear (rational or not) that they will be taking an extended leave of absence. Women, in particular, are more educated than men, yet make up far fewer of the executive positions in the country. I'm not arguing for one side or the other, simply stating a few key facts. This is how we get people like Marissa Mayer building a nursery next door to her office at Yahoo (http://gawker.com/5987043/yahoo-ceo-marissa-mayer-installed-a-nursery-in-her-office) and books like "Lean In".

4. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

I now work for a semi-large company and our CEO is a woman, our CIO is a woman, and we have 2 women VPs.

I just don't live in an environment where I see women are oppressed or not given the same rights as anyone else, so it is hard for me to have compassion for these women on these marches or even support them at all. When you have Madonna as your spokesperson ranting and raving like she did, that just discredits anything you stand for IMHO.

V5 Racer likes this.
  5. Lawn Dart

Y'all have the best sandwiches in the cafeteria, don't you? :D

6. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I had no problem with the cat lady convention until they excluded pro-life feminists.

True colors, shining through.

GixxerBlade likes this.
  7. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

:crackup: I'm sure we would if we had a cafeteria. We have pool tables, foosball tables, ping pong tables, and 2 65" tvs in the break room though.

8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Meh. All the bitches bitching is just window dressing for the underlying cause of getting away with murder.

9. Lawn Dart

:D You rock for having a sense of humor. If I'd posted that on reddit, I'd be full of pitchfork holes.

10. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

So you don't have evidence of discrimination, thanks. Anyone? Please don't respond with feelz...I want to know if anyone has even heard of one case of gender discrimination against women in the United States in recent years.

I mean if all these crazy cat herders cashed in their vacation time, got a room and flight to DC to throw a giant tantrum, then we must have a problem right? Well, WTF is the problem?

11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gender_equality_lawsuits

upload_2017-1-23_13-48-32.png

13. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

My sister did a complete 180 politically in the last few years and now is a complete d-bag unhinged liberal. She keeps blaring on about the patriarchy. Like most liberal positions, the facts, reality and common sense contradict their bumper sticker based slogans that they can't support any further. In her business, she is #4 in her company, a biomedical corporation that has three factories here in the states and one in Vietnam. She is Director of Engineering and Compliance. The three above her? All women. The Board.......3/4 women. Most of her engineers. Women.

I have yet to see an ad for any job say "Salary based upon your gender" or "Men are paid "2x" and women are paid "x". The fact that the backlash from their little temper tantrum has been bigger than their supposed cause is delicious.

14. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

1) Incorrect. While companies "may" require it, IF they do, it must be equal across the board for all FML use ... not only birth.
    2) Incorrect. While a female may need to be out for a period of time prior to child birth, it in no way changes the amount of eligible leave.
    3) Mostly Incorrect. Same reasons as 1. Once you get beyond the 12 weeks, it isn't FML.
    4) Incorrect. The "Key Employee" stipulation has nothing to do with comparable positions. That is the basic requirement for anyone on FML.

Ready to quit grasping at straws? FML absolutely does NOT treat women/men differently. It's actually probably the most equal law on the books. For a qualifying medical condition, men AND women have up to 12 weeks of federally protected leave ... period.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  15. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

2 tv's?? Who gets the remote??? :Poke:

16. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

17. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Its why I get along with men more than women.

18. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

19. Lawn Dart

I see... HR Manager.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/1421.htm#2c
    Employers absolutely are allowed to require people to exhaust their vacation time before FMLA. I fell under this myself with some family circumstances, not related to child birth.

2. It does not change their entitlement to 12 weeks, but it absolutely impacts when they're allowed to take it. I've neither stated this is good, nor bad, as it could be a benefit, or a detriment depending on the situation. However, it IS an inequality.

3. Mostly incorrect? Its either incorrect or it isn't. I personally have worked for 4 companies that elected to provide extended maternity leave of 6 months while paternity leave was only 12 weeks. Please explain how this violates FMLA? Then, go on to explain how this isn't an inequality.

https://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/whd/fmla/9e4.aspx

As I said previously, not completely black and white.

I respect that your job is HR and that, on a number of matters, you definitely know better, but there are other companies out there doing things differently - staying on the edge of what's legal.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Or simply waiting until someone complains.

Paige and Lawn Dart like this.