1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will you ever purchase an electric motorcycle?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jan 18, 2019.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what is the "non standard" glitch??? lol

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I can't believe they're going to sell many anyway at 28000 a pop.

3. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Still a giant... NO..

R1Racer99 and Gorilla George like this.
  4. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I would bet its a completely different power supply besides electric that pops before the infrastructure is ever in place ... hydrogen, something. I see hybrid becoming the go-to in the meantime, with electric drive systems, and an “engine” to simply function as a generator.

5. Eh, I dunno. Unless by "eventually" you mean sometime in the next 500 years or some shit.

This whole e-movement bullshit was caused by 2 things:
    1. The "we are going to run out of fossil fuels" scare tactic.
    2. The "we are killing the Earth and causing climate change" scare tactic.

Both of which are false.

We have only tapped into a small % of the fossil fuels that we know are out there and that we can gain access to with our current technology...and we are developing new technologies to find and access more every day. Before long, we will have Drillships (think of a cruise ship, except bigger, and with a drilling package) capable of drilling in 20,000' of water, up to 50,000' into the Earth, and capable of handing 20,000psi formation pressures. And by "before long", I mean in the next decade. I was involved in a 20ksi BOP project a few years ago, and a new Drillship is going to work next year with 2x 20k BOPs onboard.

Not to mention that there are millions of tons of new carbon based materials piling up on the sea floor every year (future fossil fuels) and the Earth plates are constantly moving. That is why we keep discovering new reservoirs, because new ones are forming. The only way we will run out of fossil fuels is if we run out of carbon based life forms...and if that happens, we won't have much of a need for cars. :D

As far as the whole climate change thing, numerous scientist/climatologists have stated that is a hoax.

Just like the oil industry, there is a ton of money in the e-industry. They have just as many lobbyists, and stand to make just as much money...hence the creation and pushing of the aforementioned scare tactics.

crashman and R1Racer99 like this.
  6. Im surprised the US doesn't have a lot of natural gas and propane vehicles. That shit is everywhere in other countries. When you pull up to the pump, you have to choose between gas, diesel, natural gas, or propane.

5axis, Phl218 and Funkm05 like this.
  7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I agree, my natural gas car is 1.99 a gallon when out here regular is around 4.xx a gallon. Plus it burns super clean, and the oil looks clean when changed. Hydrogen is very expensive, I think it was over 7.00 per gallon equivalent and takes much longer to fill versus natural gas.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don’t think it’ll be environmental. I think it’ll be convenience. Especially for younger people, cars are becoming more and more appliance like. Vehicles powered by electricity are quieter, smoother, and cleaner (not speaking emissions, just in general). I would not be surprised to see roughly 80% electric in urban markets in say, 50 years.

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Good...keep them confined to the urban areas. Leave me the mountain and country roads to make a bunch of noise and pollute the environment.

baconologist and Gorilla George like this.
  10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Rob, how does your 1.99 a gallon compare to gasoline at $4.29 in terms of thermal efficiency?

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

It's a civic and I get 33 to 38mpg.

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

So about 80% as efficient as gasoline. Not bad.

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

He is leaving out the fact that it takes 2 weeks to cover that 38 miles. :D

Gorilla George and motion like this.
  14. G 97

G 97 Garth

SHOCKER
    https://www.cyclenews.com/2019/10/article/harley-davidson-suspends-livewire-production/

Mismanaged Buell. Completely got in over their heads with the MV Agusti acquisition, then promote the lead person responsible, Matt Levatich too the position of CEO. Is there any wonder. Gongrats Matt, for slowly grinding the motor company into the ground. BTW, have you hired any non motorcycle peeps from Pontiac, Pepsi Co or IBM lately.
    I’m sure your stock options haven’t suffered. I hope you have least learned how to ride a motorcycle by now. LOL

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Regarding the AH HA moment....I've been waiting for fusion energy for 50 years....Blind faith in technology is just another form of semi-religious dogma...just the opposite of the "save the earthers". I'm not saying it won't happen or that it isn't worth investigating, just that you shouldn't bet on it. Big technology requires deep pockets, like government deep pockets and we all know how effective that is......:confused:

SGVRider likes this.
  16. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Just consider the scene in Idiocracy when they shut his batteries off (and ignore when everyone shot it to pieces and downed the plane)

17. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I’ll buy an electric when the weight, power, range, recharge time, and price are roughly comparable to an IC machine. Maybe I’d buy one now exclusively for urban commuting as they do seem to have significant advantages in that role. If it were cheap enough.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

No

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What was the question?