1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will you ever purchase an electric motorcycle?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

anyone considering the HD livewire please pm me before buying one.

i can tell you at what point you should drop the hammer, but until then, please wait.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Do I want to watch a whiny voiced slow ginger with chiclets teeth video.

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Clever way to determine who's an idiot...

Phl218 likes this.
  4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Please let me know when they clear them out for $5,995. Thanks.

jksoft, Phl218 and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  5. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

I have to say, I rode a woods converted Alta Redshift. It was hands down the best woods bikes I had ever ridden! The power was everything you could ask for. Once you got used to the power delivery it was perfect! The only down side is battery life but it is seriously so easy to ride fast! I can't wait for the future of electric dirt bikes.

Phl218 and pscook like this.
  6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Bruce and cpettit like this.
  7. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Sounds like a dang RC car zipping around...

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Wanted an Alta, was ready to buy an MXR, but couldn't pull the trigger once I found out it'd likely go into thermal limiting within a lap or two of sumo racing.

90kacoupe likes this.
  9. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

If i had loot i'd already own an electric dirtbike. There are a ton of places around where i live to ride a "stealthy" machine.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

I said I would never drive an automatic, but here I am driving a DSG (which is not like a normal automatic, but still) but that's because of my hip/knee

But I mean, I can't say no, but it defeats the purpose of the open road, etc. I'll definitely get range anxiety with the current infrastructure.

11. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I just can't get past the lack of sound with electric bikes and cars. Regardless of how fast they are they just sound boring. If I was going to spend a bunch of money on a dirt bike I think I would try to see if there was anyone at Pro Circuit that still remembered how to port a KX500 and stuff it in a modern chassis with good suspension and brakes. I am still kicking myself for selling the one I had.

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I can't say that I'd buy one anytime soon or even in my lifetime but I sure as shit would live to ride one

13. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Are we still talking bikes??

TX Joose likes this.
  14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If I could afford to have one as JUST my woods / tooling around bike, that Alta would be in the garage as the perfect low maint low stress machine for the job. Unfortunately I needed more versatility and Alta going belly up shortly after I made my decision I'm OK with how things played out. Seeing a $10k, 3mo old dirtbike that is otherwise fine disabled because the display had a fault and no parts available to repair it, and there have been a few...

pscook and cpettit like this.
  15. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I work from home now, but if I ever have a moderately short commute in the future, I would certainly consider an electric motorcycle if the price / performance / range is right.

Same with an electric car for my wife's commute, but right now, there isn't anything in the price / performance / range that would meet our needs. The Kona might be close, but is expensive for a sub-compact crossover, plus it isn't available in Virginia. The e-Golf fixes the price issue, but the range is too short. In addition there are only select dealers that sell and service them. Making the trip through DC to Bethesda for my closest dealer isn't appealing. Future moves might mean a long drive to the nearest servicing dealer if they don't become more common. The Model 3 is somewhat tempting if I was sure of the future of the company and reliability. Not worried about trips as we would take those in my Touareg TDI.

16. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I think the viability of electric vehicles, in general, is for short-hop errands and commuting. For example, most all my errands require less than 3 miles travel one-way; I could use an electric golf cart for almost all of them if it were street-legal, which it isn't.

Doesn't mean I would get rid of my car, 15 passenger van, RV, or my IC motorcycles, though. :D

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

for my backyard, i would love to own one of these sur-ron MTB-dirtbike hybrids, just to goof around after work. the 450 is overkill and too loud, the 50 is too slow

BigBird and pscook like this.
  18. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Bwahahahahaha! The thing costs MORE than an electric car and instead of being extremely quiet (of which stealth would be the only good reason to own one.) those dummies put a speaker or some type of noise maker on it so it's heavy arse would then still sound like a motorcycle. Dumb.

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

better than the beeper horn they put on the electric vehicles for pikes peak.

IMHO on any 2 wheeled vehicle, stealth is not exactly what you want.

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'm not holding my breath for one to come remotely close to a Yamaha SMAX or XMAX in price, performance, or MPG...let alone all 3.