1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why even bother with college these days?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SPL170db, Jan 31, 2016.

1. kbro45

kbro45 Well-Known Member

What companies have you worked with where "most of the people have no college?" Brasfield & Gorrie wouldn't even let you sign up to interview for an internship without a college degree and a 3.0 GPA. I worked with JE Dunn and there was literally nobody there who did not go to college. I have done a lot of work with Turner and it seems like everybody there went to GA Tech.

If somebody wants to work as a PM with a large general contractor I would tell them college is almost mandatory.

TLR67 likes this.
  2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

It amuses me too, however (& unfortunately), so do 99% of corporations/businesses. Also agree that they should probably go back to some form of 'common sense' school to learn otherwise.

3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I worked over 60 hours every minute I was in school, plus school. It got me where I wanted to be. I don't work those hours now as I am a 'subect matter expert (SME)'. Yep got called that by someone to my boss the other day.... we both laughed on that one.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Have you found a way to monetize that the ability to fit 60 work hours into a minute? That shit has got to be worth billions! :D

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm sure it has to do with the area you live in. I'm in Louisville, most of the large contractors here are $50 million a year or less. I have done projects with Turner and Bechtel. I can see that a college degree would be required at those companies.

6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Got to be wooly or you wouldn't understand. Besides I would have to kill you if I told you.

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Graduated in '74 with a BSNE degree. Worked 5 years with Bechtel and 37 years with a Nuclear Utility. I perhaps used my college nuclear training a dozen times...here's the funny part. I had a year of nuclear physics, a year of standard physics and 2 years of chemistry in HS...I use that stuff every day. Just bought a MIG welder and I still can't weld for sh*t!

June-yer and r6boater like this.
  8. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

there's 3 companies i check pretty regularly for their job listings as like a "dream job", finance positions hardly ever come up, but when they do, i always try to apply. these are the kind of places where its like, 2 finance job postings a year probably because nobody ever wants to leave, and probably 2000 people apply each time... so basically, i assume i'm never going to work there but i go thru the motions anyways, no biggie.

BUT... i realized the other day that from the time i first started applying (during grad school) until now, i've basically developed an entire career (with multiple promotions and company changes), considered moving cities a few times, and been thru a few serious long term relationships (and a bunch of random crazies) all while 'waiting' to have a chance at a career with that specific place. like, it put into perspective a substantial chunk of just living, in the context of time spent looking at this company. it made me laugh at myself for a little. watch me be like 58 one day in the twilight of my career and i randomly get a call from this place.

9. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

Is that something you'd want to do though? It may be near the pinnacle of service tech jobs, but it's still a service tech job.

10. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Why do you make it sound as if though a "service tech job" is a deragatory term?

Im a field service tech. I come close to hitting 6 figures. Zero actual schooling in the field. Finished aircraft maintenance in college. 90% of my knowledge i use/utilize/got hired because of came from me learning it on my own becausd i was intrested. PLC, controls, Ac, dc, hydraulics and mechanical.

In the end, its all about the mindset. No matter what field you go into, you will accell with hard work and your head screwed on right.

aedwards01 likes this.
  11. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Maybe I should have started my own thread but my question is relevant to the school thing.

What would you guys do if you were in my spot? I'm 34, I have brains but no education or skills. I'm at about 60-65k working 30 hours per week now, but I don't know how long that will last. At my age, would you go trade school, 2 year, or 4 year? Goal is obviously to find something I like and make more money someday. I used to make 50-60 driving a truck so that's always been my back up plan, but I hated that anyway.

12. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

Not a derogatory term, just a recipe for headache in my experience. Some good attributes, but a whole lot of bad ones, but again that's just me.

Eta. I wasn't implying anything bad about service techs. If anything, they are the cream of the crop. You have to manage jobs, deal with customers, problem solve real time, and be good at your trade.

It's just been my experience that, if you are a service tech, you get to eat a lot of shit sanwiches, which is why overall I don't like doing it. Again, maybe you have a better situation then I had.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  13. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

14. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Couldn't agree more. That one in a million job does exist, but not for the average Joe.

Also, the thing about techs and not having a college degree is the instability. There is no time to feel secure. Always fearing a downsize or cheaper replacement is a continual thing. That just isn't for me.

15. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

We got an apprentice from the Boston area......a real know it all prick that went to some preppy new england college and worked a few years on wall st. Got bored and decided to try blue collar.The little bitch-boy is about the dumbest lack-of-common f#%kin' sense idiot ive ever seen,and arrogant at the same time. Book smarts arent everything.I cannot wait to fire him!! I love FZR400's:D

16. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

What companies?

17. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Ok. I still didn't come away with the impression you did. To me he was highlighting the fallacy put forth by the Bern that it's easier to pay for college than it is to pay for prison as if those are the only 2 choices. To me he was using the Bern's statements to highlight the issue even further but YMMV.

18. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Make him take a lot of GIS classes and he will have a lot of job opportunities (presuming he likes computers, spatial information, and can relate to something in the world of natural or built-out resources).

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Tell the truth, that was me and I was hired as your boss. Deal with it, lunchbox. :D

20. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Nope....im his boss and the steward,so his arrogance is double his own demise. Roses are red,violets are blue,I love spectre:D