1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do we let this happen?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by JClay, May 19, 2004.

1. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

Somebody was quoted in an article i read the other day (about the upcoming handover in Iraq) as saying sovereignty is like being pregnant. You either are or aren't.

Most of the time it seems Arafat isn't even free to leave his compound, he knows if he left the country the Israelis would not let him back in. So it is laughable to consider him a leader in control of a sovereign government, free from external control and able to defend itself.

Which is a large part of the problem and why I am not more sympathetic towards Israel. They maintain the status quo because as awful as the violence is, preventing Palestine from becoming a full fledged country guarantees their survival.

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

No one used the word sovereign.

Arafat has worked to derail any prospects for peace for many years, and you feel sorry for him? His position is based on a desire for power coupled with a hatred of Jews. He is a terrorist and a criminal pure and simple.
    Nothing but the extermination of the Jews and the elimination of Israel will satisfy him. And he's the one you empathize with?
    No such desires for total destruction are expressed by the Israeli side but your sympathies lie with the other side?
    Interesting.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

And that's what so wrong about having a discussion here. I can't speak for him, but I believe he said he was not more sympathetic towards Israel. You jumped to the conclusion (right or wrong) that he sympathizes with the other side.

It's possible to disagree with both sides. It's also possible to disagree with one and be indifferent to the other. Just like with political candidates, for instance.;)

4. In Your Corner

Wrong??

What fun would this be if you didn't have me to disagree with you or get your dander up?

If you can employ pretzel logic then I reserve the right to jump to conclusions, with both feet if necessary.
    :D :D

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:D :D :D

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Just yesterday in a press conference, general Kimmit used the term "transfer of sovereignty" during a press conference in reference to the timing of the end of General Sanchez' rotation in Iraq. But I suppose you are correct, he did not say "sovereign." :)

7. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

I used the word sovereignty because I think that it is relevant in deciding if a group of people are an organization or a proper government.

Ultimately that is a large part of any solution. And, although I understand and agree with some of the many complicating factors, my point is that the Israelis don't want that to happen. It ensures Palestine can't wipe out Israel and the violence will continue indefinitely.

But as Papa pointed out, I didn't take sides.

8. In Your Corner

I thought we were discussing Israel/Palestine?

9. In Your Corner

Have to disagree, I think the Israeli's would love to see that happen. Palestine would never be a serious threat to Israel militarily. Half the middle east has attacked Israel and haven't succeeded.

Go back in recent history and see which side has continuously de-railed negotiations. On a wider scope, look at what happens to middle east leaders who negotiate or side with America.

10. Yutaka

Yutaka Member

That's because Israel is the only country in the area with nuclear weapons. Take those away and you would have a much more fair fight.

11. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Fair fight? Read up on the 1973 Syrian attack on the Golan Heights - over 1,100 Syrian tanks vs. less than 200 Isralei tanks. No nukes used there, and the Syrians got whooped.

12. In Your Corner

They have yet to use nuclear weapons to win a war, so they are strategically useless for conventional warfare.

In other words, they make no difference.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Brain fart. :eek:

14. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Having the capability is important enough. Deterence is key even when in a conventional war. Our nuclear weapons helps us and we haven't used them since WWII. IMO our nuclear capabilities have alot to do with why dictators like Hussein don't launch chem/bio weapons on the US military. Just and opinion of course but it is an opinion shared by many. ;)