1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do current designs suck?

Discussion in 'General' started by EngineNoO9, Apr 14, 2017.

1. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

If you look at his leathers, he appears to be sponsored by Arai. He probably thinks he's doing them good by being all butt-hurt about this (which he isn't). It reminds me of any Michelin or EBC thread, really.

badmoon692008 and Gorilla George like this.
  2. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I've got a few Arai replicas and a newer AGV replica as well. Any major brand is a quality piece and has its quirks regarding fit, finish, and aero buffetting. In America, we can buy whatever the hell we WANT. Way too much stupid in this thread.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Good thing he's not rockin' the WERA patch. I'd hate to be associated with anyone presenting a reasonable argument for their product choices. That behavior is not acceptable here. :crackup:

4. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I can tell you from personal experience there ARE differences in how helmets cut through the air. However my experience relates more towards a cheap helmet vs a decent race helmet, and buffeting.

5. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

arai used to install a transparent spoiler at the helmets of their motogp and sbk riders. at least at the previous RX7 generation.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't see it any more. maybe the reason is depicted below:
    [​IMG]

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hard to say if it's for aero or air flow without asking Arai.

7. Ra.Ge. Raptor

the comment shoei made about the extended rear end spoiler on X-14 helmets (in comparison to the X-12) is "for better aerodynamic performance at speeds in excess of 340 km/h"

8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

butthurt.. yea.. that's it. Here's a big difference in my argument though concerning "he's only saying it cause he gets help"... I was buying and wearing ONLY arai helmets from the time i started roadracing in 2003. Nothing but arai. why? i found them to be the best. hands down. I bought about 6 arai helmets, before i got any support from them (that just started a couple years ago). I'm not the guy that tries every helmet, then pimps for the first company that gives them a discount from "hookit".. For someone (supported by arai or not) to argue that arai is anything but a helmet of the highest quality, is laughable.
    "not as aerodynamic".. how aerodynamic does it need to be ? and at what point, when making it more so, do you sacrifice safety ?

9. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Crap.

Came here to complain that no one (that fits my head) makes a cool green design on helmets anymore. Now I gotta spend a bunch a money on a Corsair again...

G 97 likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I still need a Screaming Chief at some point.

BHP41 likes this.
  11. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I like Rea's

12. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

When it comes to the Corsair X there are quite a few good designs right now:
    Agreed!
    [​IMG]

Still a fan of Ru$$ell's helmet
    [​IMG]

BHP41, Bruce and MELK-MAN like this.
  13. MELK-MAN

seriously bad ass designs... ! no doubt.

14. MELK-MAN

quantum and signet arai's can be had for $350-450, new. Not bad lookin, same awesome quality. different shell shapes (cause, they are i think the only mfg that makes different shell shapes)..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Despite which Arai can't make a shape which fits my head as well as Shoei and AGV. My Takahashi rep is lovely though.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  16. fastfreddie

I'm really wanting to try a Bell. Had one in the mid-70s and one in the mid-80s. Loved 'em both. Then they fell off the planet. Now that they've been back for a while...do I need their $1K model?
    What's the pros and cons of Bell's less expensive models? Am I correct in thinking it's a materials construction thing or does it go deeper than that?
    Graphics are secondary considerations.

17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

18. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Last time I checked there was little to no publicly available data to support the opinion that 1 equivalent Snell-rated model was any better than another in terms of safety. If anyone has access to anything post 2015 that proves different, please post. You pay for marketing, graphics, comfort, fit, and quality of finish.

Personally, I wear a brand that I see extensively in racing. I feel like that gives the company an edge in high speed experience that should be reflected in their racing models, but that's just IMHO.

To be honest, I hate seeing the $1000 lid with the $400 leathers and $100 gloves/boots and street back protector. I believe in finding a balance with your safety spend whatever your budget.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  19. fastfreddie

So I went to Bell's site and a distributor (Revzilla, if anyone's askin') that does vid reviews to check the three Star models: Star, Race Star and Pro Star.
    The biggest differences:
    Star - Three composite (aramid, carbon, fiberglas) construction, more for street riding as far as the alignment of the liner within the shell.
    Race Star - 3K carbon construction (all carbon?), Flex liner, aligned for track.
    Pro Star - Textreme carbon construction (special carbon, few ounces lighter), otherwise, the same as the Race Star.

Bell's site says all three helmets weigh 1500g (3.3lbs)

Distributor's vid says the Race Star is lighter (3lb 4oz) than the Star, and the Pro Star is about 3lbs.
    (Their product descriptions list the Star at 4lb, the Race at 4.15 and no listing for the Pro. Whatever.)

A question that does arise, do you guys feel safe in a helmet that's over five years old but is in otherwise excellent shape...no apparent break-down of liner materials, etc.? Obviously, racing will require a new one.
    My first Arai (1995) started falling apart after five years...liner vulcanized, styrofoam was intact. Subsequently, I tested the shell with a ball peen. :D

20. Ra.Ge. Raptor

what shoei says:
    "When do you have to replace a helmet with a new one?
    For safety reasons, we recommend replacing a helmet after about seven years. The outer shell (fiberglass) is relatively resistant against aging. However, the material of the inner shell (EPS), which is substantially involved in the safety (shock absorption), hardens with time. So the inner shell no longer has those important absorption characteristics. There has also been much work on the development of helmets in recent years. Improved helmet shells, advanced materials, better comfort, changeable inner lining, more efficient ventilation systems, higher requirements also in the official test standards such as the E22 homologation, visor quick-change systems, etc. - in summary it can be said that helmets have simply become safer."