1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do current designs suck?

Discussion in 'General' started by EngineNoO9, Apr 14, 2017.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

.....according to the story that Aldo Drudi told in Faster:

Drudi asked Valentino to make the face he makes when going through the Casanova/Savelli downhill chicane at Mugello and he immortalized it on the lid he wore for the race that year in 2008.

:D

2. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

MELK-MAN likes this.
  3. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

F#cktarded. I like it! Carry on. :beer:

JBraun likes this.
  4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yeah, but those damned sideplates. I know they've improved 'em, and I know a guy that can swap visors without havin' to pop 'em, but I'll be damned if I can do it either way. :D
    I've had a couple Arias and will likely never have another because of those damned sideplates.

Shoei is Arai's equal in all departments, as far as I'm concerned, except user friendliness where Shoei excels. But the bigger question is, why would anyone let graphics dictate their choice in helmets?

The Bells? Haven't figured out if I'm willing to cough up the dough, but if I'm gonna spend $1K, it won't be on an Arai.
    So, Bell or Shoei. If anyone buys any other brand, they're just being an attention whore. :crackup:

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've never had an issue with a side plate on a dozen arais with hundreds and hundreds of shield swaps :crackup:

BHP41 likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

:bow:

My talents lay elsewhere.
    :timeforabeer::dead::rock::beer:

7. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

I've used Arai's many years and really wouldn't use anything else, but I have only had trouble with the side plates if I'm on second call or later, LOL. Then it's guaranteed...

8. fastfreddie

And that's my problem, too...time. For me, there's the additional problem of trying to crunch time...and breaking tabs. :D

9. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I just hate the shape of the Arai helmets. Everyone has gotten more aerodynamic except for them. But, my next helmet might be an Arai Vinales replica :clap:

10. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

??? :D

11. caferace

caferace No.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you don't know whose designs those were, you suck. Or are Broome. :D

-jim

crashman, solson1041, stk0308 and 2 others like this.
  12. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Iconic. Throughout their careers you knew who those riders were without looking at the bike or their number. Now I can only really pick out Pedrosa and Lorenzo by the lid they have on, everyone else seems to change design regularly and most of the helmets look like an explosion in a paint factory.

pscook and caferace like this.
  13. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Apparently, I suck. I know Joey's helmet, but who's the black/white? I am sure that I will know the rider, it's just that I'm no good with aligning helmets and riders, to a point.

14. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Phil Read..

pscook and caferace like this.
  15. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

True, but the quantum line has some nice graphic designs too... less costly. same great Arai quality.

caferace likes this.
  16. MELK-MAN

how is the Arai helmet line not aerodynamic ? they strive for a shape, with stuff on it (vents, shield), that won't catch while you are sliding down the track/road (or breaks off by design). the "R75" design. And yes, that MV lid is sweet.

17. I wore Arai and Shoei for years before I started with Bell. I won't wear anything else now. Even if I had to pay for them, I would still choose Bell.

They are by far the most comfortable. It's like putting your head inside a lazy-boy made of memory foam, vs inside a plastic chair. They are so soft and cushiony.

They also have the best ventilation of any helmet I've worn. In fairness, they are a little louder (because of the increased air flow), but I always wear earplugs so it doesn't matter.

18. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Every Bell I've tries was almost impossible to get my glasses in to and stay put for some reason. Obviously, this won't affect most..

19. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Not as aerodynamic. Look at the Pista R, X-14, and Bell Pro Star. There's a reason their shape is changing.

Gorilla George likes this.
  20. MELK-MAN

so nearly totally round is not aerodynamic.. ? and how are those other brand designs going to help you exactly ? any studies showing it will make you faster, or not buffet about ? if you like the gimmicky "aero" design, no problem. but do downplay aria helmets as somehow inferior based on that fact ? i don't know if there is any solid basis for this.

BHP41 likes this.